1149 Mono Replica

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The sixties GT40s had rubber bladder tanks that were put into the sponsons by collapsing them with a shop vacuum and then pushing them inside with a broomstick. The rubber bladder tanks are prone to leaking and also have to have various fittings on them to permit them to fill and empty etc. Good technology for the time but not for modern usage. Most owners of vintage GT40s have, as far as I know, refitted them with fuel cells made by ATL or FuelSafe to permit them to run on race tracks. I don't know if the bladder tanks would pass tech inspection. I think in order to really race you have to have fuel cells; SPF cars which are track-only cars have their stainless tanks removed and fuel cells fitted.

Safir Mark V cars were fitted with aluminum tanks similar to mine, as far as I know. Mine are baffled vertically in order to prevent the fuel from sloshing away from the tank pickup, which is at the lowermost point of the rear of the tank. The baffles are welded in to prevent them moving around. They also stiffen the tanks and help them keep their shape. The areas where the inlet spigot and the fuel level sender mount were cut from heavier aluminum and welded into the tank roof, after which the lower and upper halves of each tank were welded together. It is very pretty to see how this was done.

I am absolutely going to drive it. I drive my Cobra all the time when weather permits. This car will be usable in a greater climate range as it is a closed car and will be usable in dry winter weather. As a matter of fact, with the amount of heat that gets into the cockpit of a GT40, dry winter weather may be the most suitable climate for it. In the rain it will leak, in all likelihood, but they all do.

Chuck

Supporter
Jim:

Really nice work. Your attention to originality is impressive. Also enjoyed you narrative summaries.

Just curious: what is the estimated capacity of those fuel tanks?

Chuck

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
John thinks they are about eight gallons per tank. that would get me about 250 miles or so from the two combined, which is about as long as I think I can stand to be in a GT40 with all that noise and heat. We'll see. How much do the RCR cars hold? I would guess a lot more.

thx for explaining Jim, BTW are the 2 tanks connected to each-other by a bypass or is it each to their own...with each their own level-sender and pump?

I think I have seen the 2 tanks of a Ultima GTR linked with a bypass?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We did not use cross-connector between the tanks, for a few reasons:
1) we could not find a good place to locate it where we thought it would be safe and out of harms' way
2) we wanted to use the Avro fuel tap valve which I spent so much money and time to locate.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
1076 was restored by Robert Ash, in Georgia; I think this is the car that won Best in Class at PB in 2003, if I've got it right. One of them, either this one or 1074, is "locally" owned by a fellow in D.C. who has a large collection, including one of the real Ferrari GTOs. I've seen this car and it is really stunning- and meticulously correct as to the era for which it was restored.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I didn't see a point to having two tanks and fillers AND a cross-connector pipe. And as I mentioned I could not find a place to put the pipe where it would do its job of cross-lining the tanks and still be out of trouble. I may live to eat those words if I have issues emptying the tanks, but the setup of all this is simple- the pickups are at the rear and lowermost point of each tank, and the pumps will draw from whichever tank the fuel selector valve is set to connect with the tank. The pumps are plumbed in parallel and draw through the fuel selector valve. The fuel then goes through a combined fuel filter/pressure regulator and then to the inlet pipe of the Weber carb rig. The SW pumps also have a pressure regulator on each one, which we'll try to set around the same point as the main pressure regulator.

The limiting diameter of the fuel supply system is about 6AN at its narrowest point. This will limit how much power the engine will make, I suspect. But this engine only made about 360 hp when it was dynoed (without the 180 degree header system and without Webers). The real question will be is 6AN adequate to support the power the engine can make. If not, and if my driving gets more aggressive as I get to know the car, I may have to go back through the fuel system and upsize the fuel delivery plumbing. I suspect 6An will be fine for the moment.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
One more update: Ron mentioned to me that all of the engine bay wiring is in; much of the car is now wired and the next thing is to get ready to set the dashboard into the car and see if all this stuff works. Which if Ron's RCR car is any guide, it will and first time out. The tanks are in the car and I am working on fuel level senders (more to follow) The speedo electronic sensor still has to be wired in, because I accidentally took it home, so I have to bring it back up to Ron's shop and he can wire it in.

I'm going to have to drive this car soon. It's a scary thought, as it's raining today. I'll bring a dry suit. If GT40s don't do anything else, they leak in the rain.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Fuel tanks in and secured, fit perfectly. More wiring done. (all per Ron) No new photos today. (too tired to drive up there after overnight shift and very little sleep) There are some more wiring bits and parts on the way, but much of it is complete. It remains to finish the dashboard* and install it and then complete the fuel system and then the car could probably be trial run, at least in place (none of the suspension and alignment settings are done yet). I'll try to get up there in the next few days and get some additional photos.

*Does anyone have a vintage Dymo labelmaker and the tape that goes in it, to make those little tacky red tags for the switches that quickly peel off the dashboard? Very sixties, that stuff.

Ron McCall

Supporter
*Does anyone have a vintage Dymo labelmaker and the tape that goes in it, to make those little tacky red tags for the switches that quickly peel off the dashboard? Very sixties, that stuff.

I have one. Only black tape though. You'll have to pick up some red!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Nice to see Ron has not lost the GT enthusiasm....
I will get you back in another RCR one of these days...wink

You are right Jim...Ron will do a cracking job for you ...I look forward to seeing more pics.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You aren't kidding. He's a genius. Every time I go up there I am amazed all over again.

Did anyone see the article on the ex-Graham Hill Alan Mann car in the latest issue of Classic and Sports Car? Very well done, and the photos are brilliant. Literally, they just leap off the page. It made me want to drive mine so badly I could taste it...aiming a GT40 down a race course and punching the throttle must be one of the biggest thrills available on this earth.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Yes I did see them....great pics and a fun write up too...

Thats one of the only magazines I have kept my subsciption to, since moving to the USA..

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Quick update from Ron's shop...I drove up there today to deliver the Isspro fuel tank senders (which fit exactly as they ought to) and the sensor for the electronic speedo. Also looked at a number of things on 1149, including how to get the fuel fill caps sorted out (need a little machining) and various other items. Things moving along handily.

AND.....had a great ride in John Shriver's SPF Mark I GT40, a really well-done beautiful car which has benefitted from a number of upgrades John did on it. Very tight and solid, spectacular acceleration and handling. If mine is as quick and handles as well as his, I'll be delighted with it. And the Ford/France color scheme looks great...why doesn't anyone else do this? Don't we have enough Powder Blue and Marigold cars? I'll post a couple of photos within a day or two..

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
AND.....had a great ride in John Shriver's SPF Mark I GT40, a really well-done beautiful car which has benefitted from a number of upgrades John did on it. Very tight and solid, spectacular acceleration and handling. If mine is as quick and handles as well as his, I'll be delighted with it. And the Ford/France color scheme looks great...why doesn't anyone else do this? Don't we have enough Powder Blue and Marigold cars? I'll post a couple of photos within a day or two..

Having used John's car at Carlisle in our display (THANKS John) last year, I agree. The "Ford France" scheme is V cool and John's car is a very well turned out SPF. I personally will do as he did, use the Halibrands on the MK I instead of the BRMs as unless it is a Gulf car, the Halibrands are probably more correct.

Also, John gets props for DRIVING his car to Elkhart Lake last year for the GT40 reunion. Of course his girlfriend did fly out and he picked her up in Milwaukee, but anybody who cruises a RHD GT40 1000 miles or so is OK in my book!

Back