1149 Mono Replica

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Thanks, Chuck. We figured out today where everything is going to go except for the coil- I am still sorting that out and waiting for some photos of original cars to see where they put it (not the same on every car, of course). I did get some photos today which I will try to post within the next few. With eyebrows, weatherstrip, lights, louvered grilles, it's starting to look like a car, now. I also stuck the nose panel into the front clip, since I got it from the paint shop, buffed, and things look more complete with it in there.

One of my friends who's a Ferrari fancier stopped by the shop to look at 1149. Everyone who has seen it is awestruck by the color; I think I got lucky on that one, as I had no idea how striking it would come out. I thought it would look good, at least- it is far better than that.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Some recent photos, showing the wiper motor etc installed and latches, cover plates, lights etc etc. Car is moving to Ron McCall's shop in a week or so for fabrication of tanks etc and sorting out of hydraulics and several other things.

Attachments

• 20100805_27.jpg
    20100805_27.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 20100805_25.jpg
    20100805_25.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 615
  • 20100805_29.jpg
    20100805_29.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 611
  • 20100805_23.jpg
    20100805_23.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 643
  • 20100722_12.jpg
    20100722_12.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 586

Chuck

Supporter
Jim

Looking really good. Is that a Lucas wiper motor? Looks like it could handle some serious rain, but hopefully it will never need to . . . .

So will you be driving it before the first snow flakes fall??

Chuck

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I sure hope so. That IS a Lucas wiper motor, the wiper arm (not on there yet) courtesy of Brian Stewart in NZ.

I will drive it when it's done. If there's a foot of snow on the ground, I will STILL drive it when it's ready, although maybe not very far.

The panel fit is pretty good, when all the latches are snugged down. WE still have to do the Dzus fasteners up front; since Ron has done them before I am going to ask him to put them in. But everything will be nice and snug when they are on. The car will still leak like a sieve, of course, but at least it won't rattle.

looks like a deep color...think it looks nice.
I'm not a fan of the aluminium covers of the rear part with those type of vents?
they remember me of those alu vents they sometimes use on houses...
but the vents with the big holes? (forgot the name) I like a lot ;-) when do you think its ready?
good luck finishing it.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
All of the cars have those aluminum vents on the rear clip. Except that on a lot of them, they are painted body color. Mine were left bare. I liked them better that way. We'll see how they hold up. An alternative is painting them with aluminum-color paint like Imron, if they discolor; I've seen that trick done on a few boats, and it works well even in salt water.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I think the oval/round hole vents scream ' CHEAP REPLICA', your vent is more like the original. Classy. I have a set similair to yours, off an original chassis. Glad i have them.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The vents came from the spares stock of Safir GT40 et al. Actually, the coolest rear vents ae slightly different from these; the diameter of the most lateral vertical row of vents increases slightly as you count down the row of louvers, which is a subtle difference but very trick. If you look in John Allen's book, there are photos of a lot of original cars which show the difference. Not all of them have them. It is one of those little details which contribute to the look of the car. On mine, the louvers are the same size and just spaced outward a bit more as you count downwards- still looks nice, but not ultimately cool.

I must be crazy to be noticing this stuff. I need help, or "hep" as we call it in the South.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

You know when you first talked about paint, I was not sure about the color you chose, buy these most recent pix say it all, what a GREAT COLOR!!!! I love it!

Won't be long now.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No kidding. I got lucky on the color; he said "what about this one?" and I said "looks good to me let's try it" and the rest is history, etc. Better to be lucky than smart, I think. But I have gotten a lot of compliments on the color, and a lot of dropped jaws from folks who've seen the car in person, so it must be okay. And now everyone understands why I am not going to put stripes on it; the paint color flatters the shape, and the shape, as we all know, can't be improved on, so I am going to leave it without stripes.

Now, if I could get two of those little "Powered by Ford" plates for the areas right behind the front wheels, I might put those on:)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Glad to oblige. As a matter of fact, when it's done, you'll be able to hear the screams of joy just by opening your window, even in OZ, the commotion will be that loud.

When the car is completed, I will get several good high-res shots of it outdoors for the gallery. Hopefully I can do that while it's still warm enough to drive it to a suitable setting....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Right now there's not much more to put up...and the car is in a shop where it isn't easy to get far enough away from it to get decent shots. If we roll it out this week, I'll get some photos of it going on the trailer to Ron's- some outdoor photos with any luck.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Move accomplished. Next step is to get busy on all the metal parts, including tanks, axle caps, front and rear sheet metal, and so on. I got a chance to see Ron's RCR GT40 again; lovely car, great colors and very well-done. Also two Panteras, Ron's and a customer car. I haven't seen a Pantera in person in a long time; it's a far better looking car than I remembered from my distant youth, when they were sold new. If I didn't have the current project going, I'd seriously look at one; they are far more usable cars than a GT40.

No time for photos on the way, but maybe I'll have something to post before too long.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Photo of car in Ron's shop...turns out that the SPF tanks kindly lent us by Dennis Olthoff will not fit in the sponsons, they are a bit too big, so we'll have to have tanks made up specifically for this car. On the bright side, the wiring is now beginning to get sorted out, the front sway bar has been fettled to fit, and I got a set of original Vitaloni mirrors in the mail today from JP that look totally smashing. (JP, I owe you a steak etc next you are in this area...) When the tanks are made we will have just about everything necessary to start plumbing the fuel system, which will be a big deal considering I just recently determined that two SW pumps would yes in fact fit in there. Ron has worked out where the various engine accessories that need to go in the engine compartment are going to go (yes, there is room for all of them, but a bit snug). We got some very nice looking stub axle caps from Dennis Olthoff which can be turned down a few thousandths to fit nicely in the Safir stub axles.

So, progress being made; multiple fronts all at the same time, but I think she might move up and down the road by herself in 2010. After ten+ years of being shipped from there to here, one day soon she's going to wake up.

Attachments

• 20100827_05 (Large).jpg
    20100827_05 (Large).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 450
Thanks Jim.
My pleasure, as I knew that those mirrors were going to a good home (should I say, car?).

I will take your offer and let you know when I will be in the area.

Maybe it is time to start planning a trip for next summer...

Cheers!

BTW, your car looks great... eager to see more pictures!

Back