2010 Ultimate Track Car Challenge by GRM

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks fellows, we're in! Got the invite this morning from GRM as signed up. It'll be another good test day for the races later in the year.

Ron

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
It will be interesting this year. The car still has a lot of development to do and for us to get close to a win, we'll need to knock over 10 seconds off our current best time. That's a lot, but the car had a lot left on the table last time it was out.

Ron Earp

Admin
As mentioned, we're on for the 2010 Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR sponsored by Grassroots Motorsports and NASA. We've been working in the garage prepping the car for the event and have it going back together now, although still naked and apart.

We'll be heading up to VIR next Thursday and the event takes place on Friday. Last year there were some really cool cars running that were spectacularly fast - the most memorable was a MOPAR 440 BB that was only a second or two off the Daytona Prototype there, around a 1:50 time on the full course. Should be back this year. Spectators are welcome, I think, for $10 admission.

Attachments

• off1.jpg
    off1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 241
  • off2.jpg
    off2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 231

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm happy to report that we're getting close to being prepped for the UTTC this coming Friday. I performed an around the neighborhood test this afternoon and the modifications all seemed to take. We'd enlarged the header tank substantially, re-routed oil cooling, put an electric fan on the oil cooler, wrapped the headers, put on higher rate springs, and made some adjustments to the instruments, screen, ignition, catch tanks, and coolant bleeds.

Interestingly, we have two MSD boxes and two coils on the car that are redundant systems and selected with a switch. Both will run the car, but one MSD, unit A, decided that it would no longer drive the tach. Wiring is all sound and the unit used to drive the tach just fine, but has since decided to quit. Probably will need to replace that unit soon since that might be indicative of impending failure.

Also installed one of the new GPS speedometers from Speedhut. It works great. I can't tell any difference in it and a non-GPS unit and the installation was very simple. Quite pleased with it. The unit also provides max speed, time, direction, quarter mile, 0-60, trip odometer, and has signal indicators for turn signaling (I'm not using them yet). Extremely small, compact, and light. Highly recommended.

It isn't a GT40 we're running at the UTCC, but we can't seem to get any GT40s in the area to join us on the local track events. Bring em out guys!

Ron
We are bringing a GT40R.
It is a last minute entry as we just got back from Road America. Both cars are intact and we had no issues so we will be at VIR.
Road America was great. I managed to beat Peter Kitchak (Lola T70 MKIII) on Saturday in the qualifying race. We swapped the lead 4 times on the second lap.
Sunday's race was damp and I settled for second behind Peter. I did not need to end up in the wall.
See you on Friday.
Cheers
Dennis.

Ron Earp

Admin
Excellent! Bring some cool weather with you too - forecast is 101F!

I probably won't get to drive though. I have some fairly severe wrist problems that make it very uncomfortable to even drive my truck to work. In for some nerve tests tomorrow, and they tell me I might be more than a little sore for a few days.

But, Jeff Young will definitely be driving and I'll give it a go if it is at all possible.

Ron Earp

Admin
Man was it hot! Air temps were at 100F, out in the paddock near anything black it was much hotter. Wow, I did not envy drivers yesterday.

Team T70 didn't do well. Jeff Young got out on the first session and ran a 2:14 at about 85% effort but put two wheels off in the session and they didn't count that time. Around 11am we were just going out for the second session and the throttle cable failed. Three hours of flailing around in the paddock and two trips to the local marina to adapt a jet ski cable resulted in failure. So we were out for the day.

Dennis brought a beautiful MKI GT40 up with an ex-NASCAR cup motor. He was doing well when I stopped by to chat on the way out of the track. He was trying to recover from the heat and hoping to best his earlier time of around a 2:07 or 2:06. In the end I think the winning time was by the Dodge Hemi Challenger at around a 1:54 but I need to check the results. Found a picture that at least has the back of Dennis' car there with the door open.

I forgot my cameras so I don't have any in-car or still shots. I did see these over on another site I frequent and will link them here. That Camaro there in one shot was one of the nicest cars there - all tubular suspension, Ford 9" with tri link, huge brakes, flawless OEM fit and finish, six speed, and current GM production 427 LS7 with a blower.

IMG_8609.jpg

IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8580.jpg

utccupdate1.jpg

Ron McCall

Supporter
Sorry to hear about your problems Ron. It sucks when a minor little thing sidelines you for the whole event. Calling that red "thing" a Challanger/Charger is a bit of a stretch.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry to hear about your problems Ron. It sucks when a minor little thing sidelines you for the whole event. Calling that red "thing" a Challanger/Charger is a bit of a stretch.

I think the Dodge is an ex-IMSA car. There was a write up on it in grassroots last month. Cool car.

I sort of wish the UTCC would also do some classes based on "tagged street legal" and "non-street". Naturally I think we'd benefit from that, but looking beyond selfish reasons I met a few guys this past weekend that felt the same way, one who has some pull and wanted to make the differential line being current DMV tag or not.

One change this year that we didn't like so much was the car couldn't have multiple drivers. I'm not sure what that was about since the UTCC is focused on the car, not the driver. It isn't a race, nothing like racing, so I'm not sure why they were concerned about having different drivers in the same car. But so be it.

Always 2011. Off for more development and track time elsewhere.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
THe Lola is a fun, fun car. Just got sidelined by a silly little issue this time. We'll get it sorted.

I was lolly gagging around and got a 2:14. 2:10 easy in that car, probably 2:05 balls out. We didn't have enough HP to go for the win in Independent Varsity, but as Ron says, we were up against some serious iron.

Off for more development.....

Back