Build Diary - RCR Lola T70 Spider

Keith

Nah. Who's that guy anyhow? :D

Arrow. Arrow commonly found on Lola. Lola arrow.

Besides, if we win this 13 hour race we'll rename the arrow.

Hum ho - it's Team Surtees logo Ron... Nothing specifically to do with Lola. The Surtees Arrow appears on all his cars including the F1 and F5000 variants..

No biggie but he is my ex employer and he was very good to me. Just putting history straight is all.. :)

Ron Earp

Admin
No biggie but he is my ex employer and he was very good to me. Just putting history straight is all.. :)

I know about the team/history, I'm just poking fun.

However, given the propensity for UK firms to file lawsuits I could see me getting a call from a UK solicitor. Oh no, not again....

Ron Earp

Admin
Wooo hooo! I understand that RCR has got the Lola buttoned up and it is running under its own power. All systems working and behaving as they should. Still a few small details to finish up for the RCR crew but it appears they’ve done a great job on this little car in a very short amount of time. I’ll get some pictures up later on and hopefully some driving impressions in a week or thereabouts.

Chuck

Supporter
Ryan and I paid a visit to RCR a couple of weeks ago and snapped a few pics of this awesome car. The details are what caught our eye - like the removable doors, removable dash, all mechanical gauges, that panel with the electrical switches, removable driving lights, etc. etc. Really impressive work!

Attachments

• IMG_6224.JPG
    IMG_6224.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_6225.JPG
    IMG_6225.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_6226.JPG
    IMG_6226.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_6227.JPG
    IMG_6227.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 409

Ron Earp

Admin
Direct from RCR here is a teaser of the finished product, awesome! I'm liking it a lot! More later tonight, have to unpack the trailer from running the Z.

done.JPG

I know about the team/history, I'm just poking fun.

However, given the propensity for UK firms to file lawsuits I could see me getting a call from a UK solicitor. Oh no, not again....

Both Lola and Surtees are very protective of their trademarks( the name "Lola", "T70" and the Surtees arrow). I think you would do well calling the car an RCR 70 and give credit where it is due-to RCR. The car looks great ! I think you might want to investigate a way to vent the front fenders to reduce high speed lift or at a minimum fit canards
and/or a chin spoiler. I have a pattern for these for this style nose if it would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Johan gives some good advice. I was thinking the same thing for when I post about my RCR 40.

B.T.W. your car looks awesome and ready to fight.

MOTHER OF ALL good looking cars.
Can we have a few more shots from different angles, before you go race and RUIN the car?! The car looks to good for YOU, it should be in my yard.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm having a hard time uploading through this connection but here are two - one of the fueling system/NASCAR/vent bits and the other of the dual ignition system - just flick a switch and it changes between them with no interuption of service.

S7303831.JPG

S7303841.JPG

RCR did a great job with the car, just fantastic. I've got a lot more photos that I'll get up shortly.

Ron Earp

Admin
Here is another one of the the RCR 70 and one with the engine bay from the driver's side. I think it looks great now but it'll be killer with the aux lights removed and the black race wheels and low profile.

S7303829.JPG

S7303836.JPG

Ron Earp

Admin
Ok, I finally got the rest of the pictures uploaded. I think they have been there since last night but I didn't know it.

From the beginning, overall car. The original cage needed some modification to fit actual drivers in the car, not some imaginary 5.5 ft drivers so the down tubes had to be raised a bit. Yellow was picked for the color - high visibility and I like yellow!

S7303829.JPG

Ignition and fuel system. The fuel cell is located under the bulkheads along with the NASCAR fueling tube and so on. You can see the dual MSDs there, adjustable rev limit, and a third connector as well. The system can be toggled between those two MSDs for race use and if a single MSD is connected to the third connector then it'll function for street use. The dual MSDs and the fuel cell are all removable for street use. Two fire bottles, one for in front of the firewall and one for behind the firewall.

S7303840.JPG

Here is a front windshield shot. The nose is held on with the clips and two locating bobbins which are not shown. Easy on and easy off. The seat has to have some padding made and we'll do that with the forming foam folks commonly use for race seats. The Le Mans caps are plumbed to the sponson tanks which will not be used for the VIR 13 Hour race. They will be used for street use though as the 25 gallon fuel cell will be removed for non-racing action.
S7303832.JPG

Real nice work with the transaxle cooler, oil cooler, and transaxle oil cooler.
S7303835.JPG

I'll get some more up later tonight for those interested.

Ron, I'm glad you're finally getting your yellow car. I know it was going to be a GT40 at first, but from George headers to RF and all the other stuff along the way, it looks like you're finally getting a super little car. Thanks for sticking with us on the Forum.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I was thinking the same thing. Good to see you finally have a "kit" car Ron. Those of us who have been here from the beginning have seen you go through a lot and you have always just kept plugging along. Congratulations, you deserve it.

Please be careful with that one buddy.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
That's sweet Ron. Hey ...is that a Fiat Spyder in the background? They do better with a small v8 in them. Ask me how I know.

Pete

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for the thoughts fellows about the long road. It has been a long road but things are looking up now. RCR has done a great job on the build and I'm more than happy with the Lola replica. I've wanted one of these as well as a GT40 and I think with my current interests this is a better fit. I feel an open top car like this is easier to do as a true dual purpose car, race / street, and easy to convert one way or the other.

Here are a few more detail pictures:

S7303839.JPG

S7303843.JPG

S7303844.JPG

S7303846.JPG

S7303845.JPG

S7303833.JPG

Back