Classic HorsePower Scratch GT40

Devin

Supporter
Replica lift bar…3/4” OD, secured to tow hook brackets. Reinforced the brackets lateral support with stiffener angled pieces. More pics to follow.
IMG_8357.jpeg

NickD

Supporter
Just a quick observation with the steel making up the box sections that form the front of the chassis. They look zinc coated. ?

It may just be the lighting but if it is zinc coated please note that the fumes from the zinc when you weld are very harmful. Every effort should be made to remove the zinc from anywhere near the weld points.

Devin

Supporter
Just a quick observation with the steel making up the box sections that form the front of the chassis. They look zinc coated. ?

It may just be the lighting but if it is zinc coated please note that the fumes from the zinc when you weld are very harmful. Every effort should be made to remove the zinc from anywhere near the weld points.
Yes sir. Good observation and reminder for those reading this or unaware. This is TIG welded and always clean any material 1/4-1” (depending on thickness & heat needed) from the welded point. Also a good reminder to always weld in a well ventilated area as well for any off gassing of impurities or unknown/unexpected potential toxins.

Devin

Supporter
I’m calling my front support structure & clam hinge 95% complete. With the addition of the lift bar and a structural rib to the pivot brackets, I’m confident that it opens easily and can be towed or tied down from the hooks for practical use. Also appears (with some forethought) paneling this section should be easy enough and provide good channeling of air through the radiator. Next for the front section would be to deepen the twin nostrils once the radiator and fans are installed.
IMG_8359.jpeg

Devin

Supporter
Found this kit that gave me some choices in lengths since I didn’t really know how it was going to turn out…it says it was for an E46 BMW. The end link bolts are smaller than the sway bar/A arm holes but this set does come with bushings to take up the size difference (with a little oversizing of the holes).

Amazon Adjustable Endlinks

Devin

Supporter
Been a little bit since my last update. However, it hasn’t been for a lack of working on my projects, just hasn’t been on the 40. My Cobra replica has been the priority as it’s close to being graduated to a daily driver or at least cruiser status soon as spring is just around the corner. It has a real deal 427FE side-oiler and trying to stay as close to 60’s original look as my time and budget would allow.
IMG_8455.jpeg

Will post more as it reaches final form as it still needs doors, trunk, emblems, and VIN plates mounted.

Devin

Supporter
NICE

Are you bringing it to San Marcos for the Texas Cobra Club massive spring get together?
By the way, who else from here is going to the Texas Spring Cobra Meet?? I’ve seen a GT40 or two in attendance over the years and hope to meet some of you there and in person.

Rick Bickle should be there. he and I got our 40s on the same trip.

You might recognize a couple other names if you scan the who's coming page.

Back