Custom transaxle

The reason for the 8.8/9" is the pinion height on the 9" is 2.5" which means you can't get the input shaft under the diff with the 3.25" shaft centres of the top loader and the 8.8diff section is to fat so you have the same issue, combining the two solves that.
The 5 speed will be a different gear stack pacaged in the same main case with a different rear section to accommodate the extra length.

Hi Mark.
Sorry I got cut short (work getting in the way again) The 5 speed option will be the same length as the QC 4 speed as the section that houses the QC will accommodate the 5th gear. The QC won't be on a 5 speed and the R&P ratio will be what is required for the end use. A QC option could be done but the trans would be starting to get very long and then packaging it in some cars becomes a problem

Cheers Leon.

Last edited:
Hi Rod,

There will be studs in the top of the diff section and if you look you will see bosses cast into the bottom of the diff section which will also have studs to locate the trans to the chassis or as in the case of my car, a bracket to locate the bottom suspension links to. My car uses the Engine block as a stressed member and the suspension all hangs on the trans, I'm casting a special B/H and oil pan that supports all this .

Cheers Leon

Last edited:

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
……..My car uses the Engine block as a stressed member and the suspension all hangs on the trans, I'm casting a special B/H and oil pan that supports all this. Cheers Leon
Leon,

First and foremost, congratulations on the journey and result to this point. It’s a thing of beauty and great accomplishment thus far. All the best to you as you put power to the test mule. Apologies if it was posted previously, but given the recent posts:

• Will it need a custom bell housing or are there other compatible B/Hs? It looks to be stout unit.

• What is the approximate weight in the various configurations?

Best,
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

If it is not being used as a stressed member in other words the chassis mounts to the diff section of the trans then it can have what ever B/H you want, it has a floating input shaft from the clutch to a coupler in the front input bearing so again any length or spline can be done.

The sum of the components before the housings were machined was 70kg but with a few extra things added and some alloy removed I'm guessing not far off the 70kg + or - for the non QC and maybe 80kg with the QC option. I will weigh it when its finished and get a true weight.

Thanks for the comments and interest.

Cheers Leon.

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Kelly, ……The sum of the components before the housings were machined was 70kg but with a few extra things added and some alloy removed I'm guessing not far off the 70kg + or - for the non QC and maybe 80kg with the QC option. I will weigh it when its finished and get a true weight.
Without QC that’s comparable to a ZF. I think that’s a very good result.

If it is not being used as a stressed member in other words the chassis mounts to the diff section of the trans then it can have what ever B/H you want, it has a floating input shaft from the clutch to a coupler in the front input bearing so again any length or spline can be done.

I was just curious because the face of the TA housing had the exposed input shaft support bearing and didn’t have any mounting features.

Best,
K

Thanks Jim,
Coming from you with your standards that is praise indeed. Looking forward to see some more progress on your car, realy enjoying your build.

Kelly,
The adapter plate for what ever B/H to be used will be bolted to the T/A and have what ever lugs etc needed to attach to the B/H, When I get home in January you will see the adaper for that T/A which will be to suit a Tilton reverse starter Chevy B/H.

Cheers Leon

NO mate just too busy with work so not much time on the T/A last time home and now I'm away again until the end of Feb. I only had 9 days at home and was working on Johns uprights while waiting for the pinion shaft to be made, that's the last part to be made off site.

Cheers Leon.

Hi Guys a quick up date, The last work has been done now and I will be assembling the trans over the next week or so and getting it ship to Aussie for John, also the rear uprights and front uprights will be going as well I will take some photos of all the finished items before I pack them for shipping. it has Taken a long time but I'm sure it has been worth the wait, I know John will be glade to see this stuff. Cheers Leon

Not yet Rod, This one is going into Johns F5000 replica which has a LS1 at 650hp so will be a good test bench to work with so we can iron out any bugs. It will also have my uprights front and back. Hoping to have it to john by the end of the month, he has been waiting for it so he can progress with his build.
Cheers Leon.

Once again I am off the pace when it comes to keeping up with your progress.

Some things are undeniable, that is a fooking beefy looking thing of beauty that would look so right in the back of any Can Am car. Yours perhaps? :)

I sit here with untold amounts of appreciation for what you have accomplished working part time at home on a hobby project. 'Brilliant' is an understatement.

Back