Doc's SL-C Shop

HI Doc I added another beam parallel to and 12' from the 1 st with 3 more trolleys an have room to move around the cars not having to go over top and leak #&*@@ or what ever decides to come out of whatever is hanging and make it easy to move anywhere in the 12' by 36' area under the trolley Assembly. Something to think about at this stage as it will add a lot of versatility to the work area. Wally

Wally, that sounds pretty slick! But, I think I am going to stay with the single rail system (after all: one rail is better than no rail).

Now, trying to decide on a vendor for the 100%-solids epoxy flooring.

Looking at the Derek Weaver 10K pound Pro two post lift. Any "negative feelings" out there?

Hey Doc,

Don't know anything about the Derek Weaver lift, but I do like my Rotary 7000 lb asymmetric two-post lift. It holds my SL-C just fine, along with my 6000 lb VW Touareg as well.

I looked at a lot of lifts, and liked this one the best- made in USA, certified, and lots of experience at local shops, including the local Porsche dealers.

Just one data point.

But, a good data point.

The Derek Weaver lifts are made by the same USA parent manufacturing company as Rotary. The 10K lift has both assymmetric and symmetric arm configurations and open floor.

Good progress Doc.

We poured my slab two days ago. Building arrives next Friday.

Still not sure what is best for the floor though. My builder power-floated the concrete and it came up like glass! Seems a shame to cover it in tile now. Having to pay close attention to the budget too. The more I spend on the building, the less I have to spend on the car!

My total area is 40ft x 20, divided in half giving two areas 20'x20'. Front half is parking for the two daily drivers, with a centre door leading into the man-cave at the rear to house the P4. Glass sliding doors open from there onto the patio. P4 will be kept company by a suitably large Beer fridge and sound system (of course), etc etc.

Originally planned to paint the front half of the floor, perhaps British Racing Green to suit my daily cars (Mrs hates that plan though) and chequer-tile the cave area for the P4.

Budget dependent though, a nice acid-etched marble effect throughout might be nice?

No room for a lift though :(

Hey Mark,

Today is the first nice day in two weeks! We've been in the deep freeze here in Texas (-14 degrees C one morning). Today, 20 C. But no workers out there today......

Have all of the siding, roof vents, insulation, etc. at the work site so some progress at least. Been struggling to get the electric utility service started...no one seems to want to work.

Moved my SLC out of the rental house affectionately called "Spike Camp" and to my builder's shop across the way from my shop under construction. So, maybe it will be incentive to get mine done!

I have ArmourCoat solid epoxy/urethane being shipped currently (Dark Blue). I would suggest a two part floor coating for your shop. I've used it in all of my garages/shops and it holds up real well.

Finally, frame started. Ordered the two-post lift.

Attachments

• Framework.jpg
    Framework.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 360
  • Framework2.jpg
    Framework2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Framework3.jpg
    Framework3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 354
Not much to update since we have almost consistent 15 - 20 knot winds here! (no wonder you see those giant wind generators in the surrounding country-side). They are having a difficult time battling the high winds with the 12' R-Panels. I am hoping to have it completed by the end of April and I have plans to move my equipment the last week of April.....wind permitting.

Just an observation there Doc, I see you weld your pillar posts to the mounting pad. Here in New Zealand we actually bolt the beams to the concrete pad. A mounting pad with bolts is placed in before the concrete pour. In fact even the beams are generally bolted together. Just thought Id share that info!

Ohh, and yes, you are along way from anyone. My main concern is, do you have some great roads nearby to run your car on?? :)

Bruce,

Yes, you can choose to either bolt together or weld and I bet you'll see a 50:50 split in preferences here in Texas. I've done both in the past.

They are creeping along; now the walls and wall insulation is up, man-door hung.

We do have the Goodyear test tracks here in San Angelo and occasionally they let clubs/individuals run. Maybe if I test some tires for them???

Too many deer to risk running the car on the road much so I'll stick to the tracks (two in DFW area). Who knows, maybe the new F1 circuit outside of Austin?

Good one Mick!

My car is on it's trailer across the Hwy from my shop, safely locked away in a neighbor's commercial shop. Just waiting to take it across the Hwy to it's new home.

Hey Doc, maybe the guy's at Goodfellow AFB will let you use the runways! That is if you can get the helicopters out of the way.

Slowly.......we are making progress. Actually, I had to fire the original shop builder :thumbsdown: and my home builder friend took over. He had to virtually rebuild what was done (R-panels up to 1" out of plumb!, door not square, insulation not right). But now we can finally get the roll-up door fitted and start on the interior electrical/plumbing, etc. I will install the two-post lift once we get the electrical laid out and the floor will get an epoxy coating.

Attachments

• ShopShell.jpg
    ShopShell.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 313
  • ShopEnclosed.jpg
    ShopEnclosed.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 326
  • RidgeVents.jpg
    RidgeVents.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 305
Latest update:

Shop now is lockable with roll-up door installed. The center I-Beam is welded in place for the trolly. The power pole is finally placed and we will begin the electrical layout. I will start installing the two-post lift maybe this weekend.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 322
  • exterior.jpg
    exterior.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 336
  • Rollup.jpg
    Rollup.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg