F1 2009

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone know the start times for the AGP in Melbourne? I understand the race is to be a twilight start but in the F1 website they have the start time listed as TBC, and Saturday qualifying as starting at 1400. I would have thought if they are having a late start for T.V. purposes qualifying would start late as well.
Reason? I need to reserve Restaraunt's as early as possible.

From grandprix.com:

The FIA has issued the details of the Formula 1 races this season and the Australian and Malaysian GPs have been pushed back to 17.00 in order to be better-placed for the European TV audiences.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Donington in Doubt?
Rumour has it that Donington is having difficulty raising funds to bring the circuit up to F1 standard and may not be able to host the British GP.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Press release from Red Bull,

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD id=fet>JEREZ TEST - Day Two
<SMALL>12 February 2009 | 4:44am</SMALL>
10 February 2009

JEREZ TEST - Day Two

Driver: Mark Webber
Car: RB5 - 01
Laps: 83
Best time: 1:21.321
Circuit length: 4.423
Fastest lap: S. Buemi - 1:17.591

Sebastian Vettel was left twiddling his thumbs today. On standby, in case Mark
Webber decided not to overwork his injured leg, the German had nothing to do as
our Aussie driver comfortably reeled off 83 laps. This was Mark's first taste of the
new car and his first day on track since last year's Brazilian Grand Prix.

"There were a lot of questions going into today and I answered them," said Mark at
the end of the day. "From my point of view, it all went better than expected and to
do over a race distance on my first day back in the cockpit, with several weeks to
go to Melbourne is a good thing."

It was also a good day on the technical front as RB5 ran 100% reliably, with the
team working through every point on the job list. With the programme running to
plan, the team was able to move on from a basic assessment of the new car, to
working on aerodynamics and general set-up.

Seb returns to the cockpit tomorrow.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hey Guys,did any of you see this photo(link below) of Vettel leaping from his car after breaking down.Apparently it was to avoid any shock from the KERS system.As Pete said a few post ago about the concern on safety.Can you imagine being a poor track marshall-do I touch the car/driver or don't I?Cheers Leon

The Official Formula 1 Website

Okay you world travelers out there, a question about the German GP this year. My brother gave me two tickets for the F1 race to be held in July at the 'ring' for my birthday. Seats in the MB section. All my experience in Germany has been in the southern areas. (My son went to university in Munich, I did business near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and the US Army was always sending me to the Heidelberg area to fly). Please offer suggestions of what to do, where to see or stay for the two weeks my wife and I plan to visit. We have been to Austria and had a great time lost on map legend 'other roads'. I plan to use the train system and rent a car when desired. Thanks in advance. As always...
"Dream like you will live forever. Live like your going to die today"
James Dean

Regards
Grady

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
It continues.....

<!-- ArticleTitle: ING to leave Formula One at the end of 2009 --><!-- ArticleDate: 16 02 2009 -->16 Feb 2009 ING to leave Formula One at the end of 2009

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=featureStoryCell><!-- ArticleBodyStart -->Renault title sponsor ING has announced on Monday that it will end its association with the French team, and pull out of Formula One racing altogether, following the 2009 season. The Dutch financial giant’s move is part of a company-wide cost-cutting initiative, prompted by the current economic climate.

“In light of the recently announced cost reduction programme, ING confirmed today not to renew the three year sponsorship (2007-2009) contract with Renault F1 and to end its presence in F1 beyond the 2009 season,” read the ING statement.

“ING’s participation in Formula One was the company’s first global sponsorship project aimed at delivering revenue and raising the global brand awareness, particularly in ING’s key growth markets. Over the past two years, ING has successfully achieved its objectives for the F1 sponsorship, raising its overall global brand awareness by 16 per cent (March 07 vs November 08).

“F1 remains a powerful business driver even in a difficult economic climate. Whilst ING has cut the F1 sponsorship costs by 40 per cent in the final year, revenue generating opportunities will be a continuing focus through 2009. ING has enjoyed the relationship with Renault F1 and will continue to work closely with the team during the final year of the partnership.”

In response to ING’s announcement, Renault’s managing director, Flavio Briatore said: “During the past three years, the Team and ING have enjoyed a rewarding and successful relationship. ING has been an enthusiastic and supportive partner for the Renault F1 Team in all respects. They have been a true success story and have become a brand that is recognised worldwide thanks to an innovative and proactive sponsorship programme with our Team and Formula One.”

“However, we have been aware for quite some time that the world’s current financial climate was calling for a restructuring of our sport and with FOTA we have moved in that direction. Drastic cost reductions have been on FOTA’s agenda as one of the first priorities and with the ongoing programme of measures we are confident we can guarantee a solid future for our team and for Formula One.”

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good Luck.

Plans have been officially announced for a new, American Formula One team, who hope to be on the grid for the start of the 2010 season. The project, led by F1 veterans Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson, will be based in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The team say their mission is ‘to prove that American technology, American drivers and the American competitive spirit can compete and win on the F1 global stage’

As I sit here I am looking at my signed poster honoring Dan Gurneys win at Spa. The only victory in modern F1 by an american driver in an american car. You could say that i am an excited fan and would love to see them match that acheivement. I just wish the media would get off the Danica to F1 B.S. Could you imagine the first time she threw one of her patented temper tantrums by stomping up the pit lane!?!? We would be the laughing stock. Besides, when was the last time she was even competitive on a road course. Enough already.

I am glad to see that they have mentioned some real american talent though. I would love to see Alexander Rossi get a shot. He really took it to the the best of Europe and South America in the Formula BMW finals in Mexico. I really believe we have the best pool of young american drivers we have had in many years coming up that deserve a shot.

I wish them luck and will be watching with great interest to see how they proceed.

at school we have a F1 mad teacher, and we are now having bets on how many front spoilers will be demolished during the first corner of the first race. cuz those things are HUGE!!! there gonna break alot obviously

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
From Formula1 .com.

BMW Sauber's season in numbers - Part One

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=featureStoryCell><!-- ArticleBodyStart -->From budgets spent to speeds reached, and from points scored to kilometres raced, Formula One racing is a numbers game through and through. Did you know, for example, that BMW Sauber dispatch 32 tonnes of air freight to flyaway races? Or that the team ate 100 kilogrammes of fruit per Grand Prix weekend last year? The German-Swiss squad reveal just some of the more surprising facts and figures from their 2008 season, as they look ahead to 2009…

- Eleven podium places in 2008 were a record for BMW Sauber in their third season. Robert Kubica claimed one win, three second places and three third places. Nick Heidfeld finished in second place four times. Each of the two previous years had twice seen a driver ascend the podium.

- In 2008 no team could match the race lap tally of BMW Sauber. With 1,112 out of a possible 1,117 race laps, Heidfeld topped the driver reliability statistics ahead of Kubica (1,084 laps). The shortfall was not due to any technical faults: Heidfeld brought a damaged car across the finish line in Monaco four laps behind and was lapped at the season final in Brazil. Kubica was involved in an accident in Melbourne (-11), went off in Silverstone due to aquaplaning (-21) and likewise saw the chequered flag in Brazil one lap behind.

- In 2008, six F1.08 chassis were deployed on the track (02 to 07).

- On the 17 race weekends, a total of 26,700 kilometres were covered in the F1.08: 13,716 km by Heidfeld and 12,984 km by Kubica.

- Each race weekend involves a team of around 80. Apart from the team management and the three drivers, this includes 18 engineers, more than 30 mechanics, one or two logistics staff, hosts for sponsors and the Paddock Club, the press department and the catering staff.

- The workforce at the Hinwil and Munich locations totals 680. During the development phase, numbers in Switzerland were boosted from 275 to almost 430 employees. During the same period Munich saw its staff shrink from almost 300 to 250.

- There are generally six people occupying the ‘command centre’ on the pit wall stand. From left to right: Giampaolo Dall’Ara (Race Engineer Heidfeld), Mike Krack (Chief Race Engineer), Beat Zehnder (Team Manager), Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director), Willy Rampf (Technical Coordinator), Antonio Cuquerella (Race Engineer Kubica). They watch a total of 24 monitors, some of which are split screens offering multiple views. The official FOM pages giving lap times, the weather and news channel and the circuit map are watched by everyone. In addition, the cars’ telemetry data is available, as is the FIA’s marshalling system which tracks the position of all moving cars on the track (shown as coloured dots on the circuit map). Beyond this there is the team’s own car positioning system that enables pit stop forecasts and strategic decisions. On the pit wall, information is also gathered on the time and duration of other teams’ stops and on their tyres. Communication is via a total of six radio channels and seven intercom channels. Radio contact between the drivers and the team must be made accessible to the FIA.

- For flyaway Grands Prix, the team dispatches some 32 tonnes of air freight. That includes three chassis (two cars plus a spare chassis), six to eight engines, three to five sets of spare parts, 160 wheel rims, 100 radio sets, headphones, tools, computers and the pit garage equipment. Everything is packed into four ‘igloos’ (huge containers) from Hinwil, one igloo from Munich, two lower-deck containers and two ten-foot pallets from Hinwil and one from Munich.

- The transportation fleet for the European Grands Prix comprises five trucks from Hinwil and one engine truck from Munich.

- Seven trucks transport the team’s hospitality unit within Europe, four of which form an integral part of its sophisticated construction.

- The hospitality unit, which takes twelve men 36 hours to erect, has 37 plasma screens running. 40 kilometres of cables are laid for the power and network supply.

- The kitchen is kept busy feeding and watering team members and guests: in 2008 average consumption per Grand Prix weekend amounted to 140 kilograms of meat, 100 kg of fish, 100 kg of fruit, 90 kg of vegetables, 40 kg of cheese, 1,000 eggs, 1,800 bread rolls plus 2,500 litres of water and soft drinks.

Good news for the Honda team!

From Times Online | News and Views from The Times and Sunday Times

The Honda Formula One team will be on the grid for the start of the 2009 season after a management buyout, The Times can reveal. Jenson Button will spearhead the team on the track after two months of intense work on a rescue package by senior managers.

Sources close to the Brackley-based outfit confirmed last night that the deal is going ahead and that the team will conduct a “shakedown” test of their new car at Silverstone next Thursday, which will be Button’s first outing in the new machine.

The management buyout is being led by Ross Brawn, the team principal and former Ferrari technical director, and will be funded by a combination of money from Honda itself for this year, funds from Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula One commercial rights-holder, and commercial sponsorship. Recent reports suggested that Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group could be a backer but this was being ruled out by informed sources last night.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
<!-- content modules here --><!-- ArticleTitle: Jerez day five - Heidfeld quickest as test concludes --><!-- ArticleDate: 05 03 2009 -->05 Mar 2009 Jerez day five - Heidfeld quickest as test concludes

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=featureStoryCell><!-- ArticleBodyStart -->BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld was the fastest driver in action at Jerez on Thursday, as this week’s test at the Spanish circuit concluded. Heidfeld’s best time, a 1m 20.052s, put the German almost four-tenths of a second clear of Kimi Raikkonen in the Ferrari.

Although a damp track quickly dried out over the course of the morning, the windy conditions that had affected running on Wednesday continued to hamper the teams’ aerodynamic programmes. Heidfeld, however, still managed to cover 123 laps in the F1.09 as he focused on the car’s mechanical set-up.

Over the course of the Jerez test, BMW Sauber completed a total of 1,728 kilometres (plus 209 km on 2010 tyres).

“The ever changing weather made it quite difficult to do continuous work during the Jerez test,” explained the team's technical coordinator Willy Rampf. “Nevertheless we achieved the main targets of our development programme. Basically we concentrated on set-up work and evaluation of new components.

“Running the BMW Sauber F1.09 for the first time in full wet conditions was a valuable experience as well. In addition on one of the days we had the chance to test the 2010 specification tyres. Now we will have a busy weekend working out the programme for the last pre-season test in Barcelona next week. We will also have a complete race simulation and pit-stop practice on the schedule.”

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Today in Barcelona all 10 Formula 1 teams ran together for the first time this year but it is still a little early to suggest what is going to happen in Australia. The day's testing ended with Nick Heidfeld fastest in the BMW Sauber. He was six-tenths of a second ahead of the Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen, which is the kind of gap one can only imagine has something to do with fuel loads.

McLaren 2009: Missing Floor Instead Of Moveable Floor?

<HR style="COLOR: #666666; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #666666" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->At the first day of this week's Barcelona test, McLaren have surprised the paddock with a radical reshape to their car's floor.

Rather than a flat continuous floor inside the coke bottle shape, the MP4-24 has appeared with a curious cutaway section: a triangular section of floor is missing between the forward part of the floor, which follows the curve of the sidepods and a squared off edge just ahead of the diffuser.

The rules demand a flat bottom underneath the car, with no part of the car visible from below. In recent years this cut-out would have exposed the flip-ups, but the cleaner sidepod lines allows the team to try this new floor shaping.

A diffuser creates its downforce at two points: firstly at the kick-line between the diffuser\floor, then secondly at its leading edge.

By effectively moving this leading edge backwards, McLaren are also moving the downforce it creates towards the rear. This may be part of a McLaren strategy to focus downforce production on the front wing and diffuser, as both devices are efficient at creating downforce with little drag.

If these two devices can create enough downforce, then the rear wing can be smaller reducing drag and gaining speed on the straights.

With no question on the floor's legality, McLaren may have stolen a march on the opposition at a time that many observers have been questioning the team's testing pace.

Last edited:
Hi guys.... just got a quick question, still a bit new to the country, what is he best channel to watch the GP on in British Columbia, Canada??

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Barcelona day two - Raikkonen sweeps Ferrari to the top

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=featureStoryCell><!-- ArticleBodyStart -->On what could be his final day in the car before journeying to Melbourne later this month, Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen staked his first claim on the 2009 season on Tuesday, topping the timesheets as testing continued at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya. Raikkonen clocked a best of 1m 20.314s to put Ferrari almost six-tenths of a second clear of the Williams of Kazuki Nakajima.

Despite the sunny conditions at the Spanish track, the Finn only managed to complete 55 laps before a problem with the F60’s KERS cooling system brought his programme to a premature end. Team mate Felipe Massa will be in action for the world champions on Wednesday.

Veteran driver Rubens Barrichello enjoyed his first taste of the Brawn BGP 001. Barrichello covered 111 laps on his way to third in the times. Just over two-tenths down on the Brazilian was Jarno Trulli for Toyota. Trulli initially worked on set-up, before switching to longer runs in the afternoon. He covered 121 laps in total.

"Today was my last day of testing for the winter,” said the Italian. “We again did a lot of laps including some interesting long runs as we finalised our preparations for Melbourne. It's clear we will only find out the true picture in Australia but I'm happy with our work in the course of the tests we've done. The car has been competitive and consistent so we can head into the first race with confidence. I feel ready."

More details to follow.

Unofficial Tuesday times from Barcelona:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari F60, 1:20.314
2. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams FW31, 1:20.907
3. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn BGP 001, 1:20.966
4. Jarno Trulli, Toyota TF109, 1:21.182
5. Mark Webber, Red Bull RB5, 1:21.347
6. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber F1.09, 1:21.615
7. Adrian Sutil, Force India VJM02, 1:21.834
8. Fernando Alonso, Renault R29, 1:21.937
9. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren MP4-24, 1:21.991
10. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso STR4, 1:23.039