F1 2009

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Grady,
Basically, accomodation around the n-ring is a none starter. The teams actually travel in from as far as 40 to 50 miles away so that speaks volumes about how long the hotels have been booked in advance.
Now, we have a few good men on this forum who live in Germany and they can chip in with some ideas as well.
For me, I usually stay in a really nice small hotel called Hotel Lamberty in a village called Nederkail which is about 45 miles away from the ring to the south and served by Autobahns for about 60% of the journey. It's a really comfortable place with the local beer - Bitburger and Warsteiner - on tap (all very very good) and a good but basic restaurant.( his V/Schnitzels are superb) The boss, Herr Lamberty, will get up what ever time you want to start out in the morning and get you a breakfast as well. Prices are just so good and not affected by the proximity of the race at the n-ring - I've been using this place for about 8 years now.
One restaurant to go to in the Nurburg Village is the Pistonklaus in the Tiergarten hotel. It's in the basement and although a relativley newish building this basement restaurant has been there for a while now. Again the food is really good - try the rump steak on the hot stone.
Places to visit: The River Rhine and Koblenz are fantastic with so many good drinking and eating places dotted along the banks of the river and because you were biased more to the south on your previous visit I would suggest, say, a visit to Cologne (Koln) is worth while.
I'll stop here and let some of the more 'local' guys chip in with better ideas as well.
ps - the trains in Germany are very good and the prices are even better.
pps - The nearest AFB to the Hotel Lamberty is Spangdahlen so if you still have any contacts it may be worth getting in touch. The first A10 and F16s launch at around 0700 every weekday morning and I love leaving my window open to hear the sounds as a wake up. Jet noise - the sound of Freedom
Dave

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Barcelona day three - Button stuns in Spain

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=featureStoryCell><!-- ArticleBodyStart -->Jenson Button was the man to beat as this week’s test continued at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya on Wednesday. Button, driving the Brawn GP 001, was the only runner to dip below the 1m 20s mark, clocking a best time of 1m 19.127s around the Spanish track to better the Ferrari of Felipe Massa by over a second.

Third fastest was Robert Kubica for BMW Sauber. As it was Kubica’s first day at the test, he concentrated on carrying out a variety of different race-related situations to fine tune the working relationship between him and his pit crew. He also worked to find solutions for the F1.09's set-up and covered 109 laps in total.

“Today was very productive,” said the Polish driver. “We tried various solutions we weren’t able to complete last week in Jerez because of the unfortunate weather conditions. Obviously our main target today was to do a lot of evaluations for the forthcoming Australian Grand Prix.”

More details to follow.

Unofficial Wednesday times from Barcelona:
1. Jenson Button, Brawn BGP 001, 1:19.127
2. Felipe Massa, Ferrari F60, 1:20.168
3. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber F1.09, 1:20.217
4. Timo Glock, Toyota TF109, 1:20.410
5. Fernando Alonso, Renault R29, 1:20.863
6. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull RB5, 1:21.165
7. Nico Rosberg, Williams FW31, 1:21.324
8. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India VJM02, 1:21.545
9. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso STR4, 1:21.569
10. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren MP4-24, 1:21.657
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Here are the odds.
I wouldn't mind a bit of Lewis Hamilton to win at 8.5.
<TABLE class=matchlinku cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ff9e3f><TD colSpan=3>Win Race</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Jenson Button</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>3.5</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Kimi Raikkonen</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>5.5</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Felipe Massa</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>6</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Rubens Barrichello</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>6.5</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Fernando Alonso</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>8</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Lewis Hamilton</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>8.5</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Robert Kubica</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>9.5</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Sebastian Vettel</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>17</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Nick Heidfeld</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>23</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Jarno Trulli</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>34</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Mark Webber</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>34</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Timo Glock</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>34</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Heikki Kovalainen</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>41</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Nico Rosberg</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>51</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Kazuki Nakajima</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>101</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Nelson Piquet Jr.</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>126</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Sebastian Bourdais</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>201</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Sébastien Buémi</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>201</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Adrian Sutil</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD><TD align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#eeeeee>401</TD></TR><TR><TD width="60%" bgColor=#f3f1fe>Giancarlo Fisichella</TD><TD align=middle width="25%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Alonso brings Brawn's run to an end

Monday 16th March 2009

Fernando-Alonso_2012731.jpg

<!-- /storybox -->
Fernando Alonso finally brought Brawn GP's run of P1 finishes to an end at Jerez on Monday.

This week's test marks the final outing for the teams before the new in-season testing ban is triggered as they head to Australia, making each lap vitally important to the four teams present.

Alonso, in something of a surprise, proved to have the better pace on Monday as he put in a late charge to clock a 1:18.343 that brought the Brawn GP team's run of top-placed finishes to an end.

Brawn GP, formerly Honda, weren't far behind the Renault, with Rubens Barrichello claiming second place with the 1:18.398 that he set during the morning session before handing over to team-mate Jenson Button in the afternoon.

Button continued Brawn GP's impressive run of form, setting the third place time, just under half a second off Barrichello's pace.

Lewis Hamilton, who got behind the wheel for the first time today after missing out on Sunday's action reportedly because the team didn't have the parts needed for the MP4-24, claimed fourth place despite a trip across the gravel. McLaren, though, still have plenty of cause for concern as the reigning World Champion was over a second off the pace.

Nico Rosberg, who replaced Nico Hulkenberg for day two's running, completed the timesheets in fifth place. The Williams driver, though, was the busiest man on track, completing 123 laps.

Times
01. Alonso Renault 1:18.343 99 laps
02. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:18.398 62 laps
03. Button Brawn GP 1:18.892 12 laps
04. Hamilton McLaren 1:19.513 85 laps
05. Rosberg Williams 1:19.783 123 laps

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt has now officially left the Italian car manufacturer, after resigning from all the positions he held with the company.

Todt had stepped down as CEO of Ferrari last year but remained with the company in various roles. However, at a meeting of the board on Tuesday, chairman Luca di Montezemolo said that Todt was leaving Ferrari entirely.

Di Montezemolo paid tributes to the efforts of Todt, who helped make the team a multiple championship-winner after originally joining it in 1993.

"Jean Todt has been one of the leading protagonists of the Ferrari story of the last 15 years," declared Montezemolo. "Skill and passion have always characterised his work and have won him my persona respect and affection, the one of the Company as a whole and of the Prancing Horse enthusiasts everywhere.

"I would like to wish him the very best for the future which I hope will prove extremely satisfying both personally and professionally.

"All of these years we've spent together - victories and tough times included - have forged a link between Jean Todt and Ferrari that will never be broken."

Source: Autosport.com

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has approved a change to the points systems for this year’s drivers’ championship, which will see the title awarded to the driver with the most race wins. The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system.

If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the existing structure...

And so Bernie gets another of his wishes.

Whilst it mightn't have changed the result of most of the championships throughout the years, one can't help but wonder if it's just an excuse to be different.

You have to be kidding. That is almost as stupid as the nascar points deal with the chase to the cup crap. With this system the team with the most wins could opt out of the last few races if they had the title sewed up. We are still a few weeks away from april fools arent we. I guess when you are being whipped by a fraulein anything can seem like a good idea. As if the racing in formula one wasnt bad enough they have to remove the championship drama as well. Didnt last season go right down to the wire.?

Having seen the UKs BBC cheep and nasty advert for the F1 coverage which is a short time away I hope their coverage is a lot more professional.

Yeah i can't believe this load of tripe... (it ain't broke Bernie)... the thing is that drivers like Robert Kubica can be competitive by being consistant, as he proved last year by being in contention for the title towads the end. With this new system he wouldn't have been a threat to Massa or Hamilton.... which wouldn't make for an exciting end to the season.

Imagine one driver wins over half the races then they don't have to try anymore.... frankly i want to see the guys race.

I think the Alzheimers has well and truly set in with Bernie.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm a bit each way on this, I think that if I had won the most races in any competition,(not likely) I would think I was the deserved Champ. And there is no doubt that early in the season everyone will be trying to win.

But as someone said earlier, once someone has an unassailable lead in the comp, everyone else will be using the races as practise and test sessions, not much chop for the paying customer.

Malcolm

Supporter
Can't you guys see it? Max needs/wants to stay President of FIA having previously been under pressure to push off. Bernie wants to change the scoring system. They have struck a deal so Bernie will support Max later this year. Its all politics/crap. Damn I get cynical in my old age......

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Apparently Hamilton has been prescribed Anti Arrogance pills for 2009.
I thought it's what Big Ron wanted......
Arrogant pair of twonkers.........

Back