F1 2010

Mike Pass

Supporter
I am quite aware of what is possible and also quite capable of being real and don't need to be patronised. If you read what I said which was "If it is a rule then the BEST POSSIBLE EFFORTS" should be made to enforce it.
Cheers
Mike

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
This is how Domenicali's post-race encounter with the international media played out:
Q: Could you explain the rules of team orders and how they work in Formula 1 and why this wasn't team orders?
Domenicali: I don't want to say what is team orders because honestly I think that what I can say is if you are referring to the situation you have in mind it is that we gave information to Felipe on what the situation was and how it was evolving and because we had already seen in the past that certain situations would not give the best result for the team, that was the information that we wanted to give. We leave the drivers to understand and take notice of it in order to ensure that the team, in terms of the result, does the best.
Q: How is this different from Austria 2002?
Domenicali: Honestly I don't know. What we said to him today was information about the situation that was behind. That's what we said today.
Q: In 2006 in Monza Fernando Alonso said the sport is not the same anymore. We all have the same feelings now. It was quite obvious that it was a call to Felipe to let Fernando pass...
Domenicali: That's what you say, I didn't say that. But I have to repeat what I said. It was a shame that in a situation today with a great performance everyone is focused on these things. We always consider the team interest first and that's what I can say.
Q: After so much tension can you honestly feel happy at a 1-2?
Domenicali: For sure I'm happy. I understand your comment and of course I'm not happy about the outcome of this great performance because of the pressure we have from the outside on this specific element. For sure it is something that is part of what I am living now but I need to keep up the priority that the team has done a great job and recovered a very difficult situation after three very, very heavy grands prix.
Q: Is it clear now that you have a No1 and No2 driver for the rest of this season?
Domenicali: No.
Q: Why?
Domenicali: Because otherwise I'd have said yes...
Q: After today, does Felipe still have a chance to fight for the world championship and if every time they are together in the same situation will Felipe have to give way?
Domenicali: No, I can answer that first of all I'm very happy with the performance Felipe did and its consequent to the question just asked the fact that Felipe gave up the chance and for sure for the team he will push for the championship and there is no number one and two.
Q: There will be controversy and bad feeling around the 1-2, so is there a way you could have handled it better?
Domenicali: I don't think so. We were trying to make sure we didn't have a difficult situation between the drivers because that's not what we want.
Q: As a human being, was it the hardest race you had to watch?
Domenicali: I have seen a lot of races and have seen a lot and as a human I was much more emotionally involved where we had a situation like with Felipe last year.
Q: You just mentioned last year. Did you give any consideration to the human side of that on the anniversary and what the win would have meant to Felipe?
Domenicali: We know it is important for Felipe and I'm sure he will deserve a victory very soon because he has shown that he is keeping up.
Q: This has rather overshadowed the front wing controversy. What is your situation with flexible front wings and have you received any communication from the FIA?
Domenicali: No. I've seen some pictures that were distributed but it's easy to see that they were taken from very different angles. Honestly I don't have anything to say because I think that is part of the pressure that is part of this game.
Q: Felipe said the reason why the pass happened was that he was struggling on the hard tyres, so how do you explain that after struggling while they were cold he pulled a gap of 3.5s?
Domenicali: Because we wanted to control the race. We'd given them certain targets to control those behind without any risk. When we saw Vettel was coming up we were informing both of our drivers and also having laps that weren't the same for both drivers in terms of saving the engines.
Q: This is very different from Austria 2002 because then you were dominant and there was no reason to do it, but here you're catching up and you obviously make those decisions. Do you think it's silly to have to go through this charade when everyone knows what happened and is it better to allow, like in the past, teams to do what they want with their own drivers?
Domenicali: Difficult question. I understand what you are saying and I think at the end of the day there is always a merit and a logic for both scenarios. First of all, on one side there is a clear inclination to make sure that every driver can do whatever they can on a level playing field but on the other side you have to consider that the two drivers are part of a team and that's really the key factor. But I think it's a matter for consideration to make sure that there is no discussion.
Q: What would be different today as Ferrari team principal if you had let Massa beat Alonso?
Domenicali: I didn't do anything, just inform Felipe about the situation and that's it. From the team perspective the next chance that we have, Felipe will be faster, let's be sure about it.
Q: I'm sure you're aware that there were radio messages. Why did Rob Smedley apologise to Felipe after he had let Alonso past?
Domenicali: You have to consider the fact, and you can check with his communication several times in the past, that Rob Smedley has a very good connection with Felipe, which is the key to their success, and you saw what happened. He was not happy at the situation with the car being slower than the other one. That's all I can say.
Q: Can you explain why you would need to tell a driver who was leading that the one behind was faster?
Domenicali: As I said, for team interest I wanted to avoid any difficult situation arising. We have seen that happen to others this year at other grands prix.

I have been trying to avoid coverage of the race since qualifying. Since Speed Chanel did not broadcast the event until today, I thought all the fuss was something that happened in qually. What a dope I am, I guess I should have watched it on FOX on Sunday with the rest of the panet. .... but I don't get FOX in HD....so I stuck my head in the sand until today.

It all makes sense now!
Massa shouldnt feel too bad, he is very lucky to have his sight and his job. He was not up to pace earlier this year, if he had the points Alonso has I'm sure the feam would have told Alonzo "Massa is faster" in the same situation. The team could not give a "rat'' which driver is World Champ, as long as he is in a Ferrari.

The rule REALLY needs to be tossed out....or one car teams.

on a separate note: That first corner was wild.

Maybe I was not paying attention or maybe the US coverage missed something. What happened between Alonzo and Massa? In our coverage I thought it was a bit strange there was no comment on Webber's last Q lap while it was all going down.

Last edited:

Keith

I have been trying to avoid coverage of the race since qualifying. Since Speed Chanel did not broadcast the event until today, I thought all the fuss was something that happened in qually. What a dope I am, I guess I should have watched it on FOX on Sunday with the rest of the panet. .... but I don't get FOX in HD....so I stuck my head in the sand until today.

It all makes sense now!
Massa shouldnt feel too bad, he is very lucky to have his sight and his job. He was not up to pace earlier this year, if he had the points Alonso has I'm sure the feam would have told Alonzo "Massa is faster" in the same situation. The team could not give a "rat'' which driver is World Champ, as long as he is in a Ferrari.

The rule REALLY needs to be tossed out....or one car teams.

on a separate note: That first corner was wild.

Actually, increasingly none of the teams gives a rat for the Drivers Championship, what they really want is the Contructors Title and the business that goes with it. In the Ferrari case they scored maximum Constructor points in that race which ever one of their drivers won.

If they keep this stupid rule, then I believe drivers should be nominated No.1 and No.2. Even if they don't announce it publicly, the teams already know which is no.1 & no.2 before the season begins - anything else is pure BS. They use the drivers to push each other so that the Contructors get maximum points each time.

Still, I wouldn't mind getting £10mil for being a no.2 :)

Drivers who believe that they "equal no.1 drivers" are fooling themselves.

Prost, Schumacher and Alonso are typical of the "I am no.1 and nothing else will do" scene and each picked their "no.2" drivers. Alonso saw Raikonnen off but got it dead wrong with Hamilton though and couldn't live with him, and that, (Hamilton) is the mark of a Champion.

My brother sent some cell phone photos from the planning meeting for F1 in Austin, Texas. McCombs and other investors shown at the meeting.

Attachments

• Formula1Crowd1_20100727100645_320_240.JPG
    Formula1Crowd1_20100727100645_320_240.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Formula1Crowd2_20100727100645_320_240.JPG
    Formula1Crowd2_20100727100645_320_240.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Formula1Presser_20100727095421_320_240.JPG
    Formula1Presser_20100727095421_320_240.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Formula1Presser2_20100727101429_320_240.JPG
    Formula1Presser2_20100727101429_320_240.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Formula1Presser3_20100727102036_320_240.JPG
    Formula1Presser3_20100727102036_320_240.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 168
  • mccombs_20100727094253_320_240.JPG
    mccombs_20100727094253_320_240.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 172
  • RedMcCombsFormula1_20100727102034_320_240.JPG
    RedMcCombsFormula1_20100727102034_320_240.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 181
  • TavoHellmundAndRedMcCombs_20100727100645_320_240.JPG
    TavoHellmundAndRedMcCombs_20100727100645_320_240.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 179
  • TavoHellmundRecMcCombs_20100727100645_320_240.JPG
    TavoHellmundRecMcCombs_20100727100645_320_240.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 175
Here is the news coverage: Austin News, Weather, Sports, Traffic | KXAN.com

And the media "blog" on the site for the track:

McCombs invests, F1 site revealed

Track to be built near SH 130 and FM 812

Updated: Tuesday, 27 Jul 2010, 10:12 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 27 Jul 2010, 9:43 AM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) - KXAN Austin News is first to learn businessman Billy Joe “Red” McCombs is the principal investor in the new Formula 1 track to be built in Austin. The newly announced project partner said he dove into this endeavor, knowing its potential to make a huge economic impact on the area and also in his own wallet.
"Well, I hope it's immense," he chuckled to a crowd of media and guests during Tuesday's press conference at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center at the University of Texas .
The center is part of McCombs’ UT namesake, the McCombs School of Business . In addition to making Forbes magazine’s top 400 richest Americans since 2005, he was also a former owner of the San Antonio Spurs , Denver Nuggets , and the Minnesota Vikings . Forbes says he is worth $1.3 billion.
The founder of the Red McCombs Automotive Groups and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications joined the man responsible for bringing the track to Austin, Tavo Hellmund, and various Formula 1 officials. Hellmund, a former racer and Austin native, said the city is built for F1 success.
He cited its geographic location, its nightlife for the estimated 200,000 visiting fans, and Austin's willingness to embrace technology as reasons the city will be the first permanent home to F1 in the U.S. in nearly three decades.
"Without a doubt, (this will) make this one of the true great sporting events in the world on an annual basis," Hellmund said.
Hellmund's company, Full Throttle Productions, and McCombs Partners are two of a small handful of investors in the estimated $250 million project. Prophet Capital Management, an Austin-based private investment company founded in 1995, is the third, along with the additional services of MotoGP World Champion Kevin Schwantz.

Keith

Monaco deal done today :thumbsup:

How rude is that dwarf? He said "We don't need Monaco - they need us and they don't pay enough anyway"

Despite that insulting rebuke they did a deal anyway.

I think Bernie had better watch his back (and front) in Monaco next year -:idea: in fact he IS a back and front. :laugh:

How can you do that to a former teamate who helped you win so many titles. As a minium he should be suspended my personal preference is to ban him from F1. All he is doing is showing that all the rumors about his past exploits are true. You could have a argument for attempted manslaughter. From a former supporter Schumi sucks.:huh:

That was a really 5hit thing for Schumacher to do, I hope he gets what he deserves for that. That was very nearly a HUGE accident.
I had a lot of respect for him (7 times champ and all that) but that was just pushing it too far. He should be banned for the rest of the season at LEAST!

Simon

Keith

In the post race interviews MSC blamed Barrichello :stunned:

In a response, Rubens said "Yes was I always to blame - for the whole 6 years I was his team mate"

MSC ertainly showed himself in his true colours though - one week after everyone was saying what a warm & nice human being he had become.

Arschloch!

From the FIA and F1 official website: "Mercedes GP’s Michael Schumacher has been punished by the Hungarian Grand Prix stewards for his clash with Williams’ Rubens Barrichello in the closing laps of Sunday's Budapest race. Schumacher receives a 10-place grid penalty for the next round in Belgium.

As Barrichello attempted to overtake the German on Lap 66 on the main straight, the seven-time champion appeared to move over on the Brazilian and push him towards the pit wall.

After a post-race investigation the stewards decided Schumacher had "illegitimately impeded car 9 during an overtaking manoeuvre”. Mercedes GP have accepted the decision."

Keith

Not a spoiler - this info does not affect the race outcome, but just in case you thought MSC's explanation that "I moved over to let Rubens by on the other side" was a fair and accurate description of the event, have a look at this:

bar-shu.jpg

Yes, that is the pit lane exit immediately in front. Had a car been exiting (and there was no way MSC could have seen there wasn't) Rubens would have speared into it at over 150 mph...:stunned:

By the way, the "normal racing line" is about 6-7 car widths to the right of MSC.

I was going to post exactly the same screen shot. (matter of fact I will) He should have stayed retired, just confirmed what an asshole he is removing all doubt. History will forget this and other transgressions, although for the generation that witnessed his great career it is all for not.

What a waste, he could have been somebody. For all the BS racing IS NOT WAR, and never should one purposely threaten a life as is being done in this picture.

What a joke, so much for calling it a "sport" if this is what it took to become a 7 time world champ. I have been a racer of some sort or another my whole adult life and this crap made me sick.

10 grid spots ..... should have been banned for the season or life.

Attachments

• 100_2980.jpg
    100_2980.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 211
Back