F1 2010

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Keith -

I had no idea that "low fuel" was a code. Thinking back, I can't remember hearing very many "low fuel" warnings given to drivers over the radio, but then again I haven't heard all that many radio messages either!

What do they transmit when the car is actually low on fuel? "Hold position?"

Also, if this "code" is so well known, it really shouldn't be called a code, should it! Perhaps, like many things in F1 it can be called "double speak". Couldn't the assholes in charge check the fuel level of the car in question after the race?and determine that the "low fuel" warning was in fact a code and penalize them?

I think I would come up with a better code. Or maybe even a pit board that had a number on it corresponding to a certain command?

Finally, could the usual team chatter, as in "thats it Rubens, Vettel has a braking problem so please push and pass him" be taken as a team order? LOL

There was the posibility of another outcome that would not have pleased some here. Both Redbulls off both Mclarens off Shumi winning.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Seb and Web sittin' in a tree. K-i-s-s-i-n-g. Loved the post race interview. At least Shumi could act as if nothing happened... Que circus music now.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Agreed.

I think there is a huge difference between driving and racing and while I respect JB's ability to drive a car fast, I have no doubts that he isn't half the "racer" that Lewis is.

Potentially good news for us Texans (and the rest of the US I guess)....F1 GP coming to Austin in 2012. Great topography, hope they build a suitable track. (And, I hope I can track my SLC on it!).

Don't hold your breath. Speaking as an architect, if I had been working on something like this for over two years I know I would have at least few concept sketches to pull out of my bag that would give the thing some credibility. An undertaking this large should have a little something to share with the public. So far there is only talk and the old "trust me, I know what I'm doing and this is going to be great." Sounds a bit like USF1 doesn't it?

Keith

Hey Jack - to me, Tilke sucks anyway. Having said that I think he did Turkey which is quite appropriate in a way except the track is fab.. It is mooted he will do TX or US mainly because he is sucking Bernies shrivelled wiener.

Oooops, to much info. I'm gone... :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Mark Webber in the Daily Telegraph Sydney.

<!-- // .caption --><!-- // .tabs .js-tabbed --><!-- // .article-media --><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_introduction, weight=high) -->RED Bull Racing was on track for a one-two finish in Turkey. <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_introduction) -->

<!-- // .story-intro --><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_body, weight=high) -->But, in the space of a few seconds, we went from that lofty place to my teammate Sebastian Vettel's car being parked by the side of the road and me having to pit for a new front wing, which dropped me to a distant third.
Vettel had a bit of a top-speed advantage and I could see him coming down my inside as we approached turn 12.

We were fighting for the lead, so I stayed tight to ensure he'd be on the dirty side of the track as we approached the braking area.

I was holding my line and he came across on me. We made contact; only a light touch, but when you're travelling at 300km/h that's all you need for a situation to end in tears. Seb and I will sit down and have a chat about it.
We'll probably have a difference of opinion about what happened on Sunday (night) until we go to our graves, but we're both adults and we need to find a way of racing together that doesn't compromise the team.

Up until lap 41, it had been a great race for me. The focus now moves to Montreal

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I really believe that the announcement that F1 is returning to the U.S.A. and Austin , Texas will host it, to be a smoke screen from the diminutive one - the guy with an incredibly tall ex wife. I haven't really figured out what he is playing at but I cannot believe this idea of racing in Austin and I think it's a non starter.

From the Official F1 website re Webber and Vettel:

Following a meeting at their Milton Keynes factory on Thursday, Red Bull believe they have drawn a line under the collision between drivers Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber during the Turkish Grand Prix.

Vettel, Webber, team principal Christian Horner, chief technical officer Adrian Newey and Red Bull motorsport consultant Dr Helmut Marko all attended the meeting at the team’s UK base.

The duo collided on Lap 40 of the Istanbul Park event whilst battling for the lead. Vettel, who had been running in second when he had the opportunity to overtake his team mate, span off the track and out of the race. Webber eventually finished in third, behind the McLarens of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.

“The team had got us into a great position and it wasn’t good for them what happened - so I’m sorry for them that we lost the lead of the race,” said Vettel in a statement released by the team. “Mark and I are racers and we were racing. We are professionals and it won’t change how we will work together going forward. We have a great team and the spirit is very strong. I’m looking forward to Canada.”

Webber added: “It’s a shame for the team, as we lost a good opportunity to win the race. It’s sport and these things can happen, but it shouldn’t have done. I feel for everyone at Red Bull, at the factory and everyone involved. Seb and I will make sure it doesn’t happen again and will continue to work openly together, no problem. We have talked enough on it now, it’s done, we’re looking ahead and I’m focused on the race in Canada next week.”

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
From the Official F1 website re Webber and Vettel:

Webber added: “It’s a shame for the team, as we lost a good opportunity to win the race. It’s sport and these things can happen, but it shouldn’t have done. I feel for everyone at Red Bull, at the factory and everyone involved. Seb and I will make sure it doesn’t happen again and will continue to work openly together, no problem. We have talked enough on it now, it’s done, we’re looking ahead and I’m focused on the race in Canada next week.”

That is the most sanitized bit of spin by the team.

What Webber really meant to say was, "That's f**king twice you petulent little Sh*t. Do it again and put my boot so far up your arse you'll choke on it.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Button gets a gong.

Just days after clinching second place at the Turkish Grand Prix, McLaren’s Jenson Button took time to reflect on his title-winning success of 2009 on Wednesday, as he was awarded an MBE by Her Majesty the Queen at Buckingham Palace in London. World champion Button, who took the title driving for Brawn GP, was named in the Queen’s New Year Honours list.

“The last 18 months have been an incredible period in my life,” said the British driver after receiving his award. “Starting last year facing almost impossible odds, I achieved my childhood dream of winning the Formula One world championship and I’m now driving for one of the greatest teams in the sport.

“To also be recognised by Her Majesty the Queen and the British people is the greatest honour I could possibly imagine. My whole life in motorsport has been an incredible journey. When I started karting as an eight year-old boy, I could only dream of racing in Formula One, or becoming world champion. Even now, those dreams still feel unbelievable and fantastic to me.

“To visit Buckingham Palace today is another huge step along that journey. To be awarded the MBE by Her Majesty the Queen is a very great honour for me, and a significant milestone in my life. Today makes me incredibly proud to be British, and to be able represent my country on the world’s stage. Being Formula One world champion, and receiving the MBE, carries with it great responsibility that I am proud to take on and uphold.”

Keith

Well I hope that news was not a 'spoiler' David
else you'll have Mr Mcluskey foaming at the mouth ('it's all right guys - it's just the Carlton foaming up a bit mate, you mongrels' etc etc)

Brilliant race, mostly brought about by tyre options but whatever it was like an F3 race in the rain.

I won't add to the bare results given above in case some people, who may be travelling back from Le Mans have recorded it, but I think this one was a classic.

More tomorrow....

David,

Schumacher finished with 69 of 70 laps being past in the last lap by Force India either section 3 or 4 ( I was at turn 6-7).

Tire wear was a definite concern and Vettel ran out of fuel on the cool-down.

Back