F1 in 2013

Keith

Two observations.

1. If my name was Paul Hembury, I would be changing it right about now, and buying a ticket on the first Stage out of Dodge.

2. Talking of plots, is Mercedes about to open a new manufacturing facility in Britain for road cars?

I think Gary Anderson had it all worked out. It is highly probable that the blame is with the state of the kerb`s on turn 4 and not with the tyres. That sharp edge of Kerb would slice through the side wall of any slick , it should not be there.

Bob

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I think Gary Anderson had it all worked out. It is highly probable that the blame is with the state of the kerb`s on turn 4 and not with the tyres. That sharp edge of Kerb would slice through the side wall of any slick , it should not be there.

Bob
But by driving on the kerb you ar nor on the confines of the track which od demarcated by the white line.

Stay within the white lines and no problems!

Ian

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes they do, would you be game to use them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 195

Keith

Nice one Pete!

GTBob. Whilst you may well be correct inasmuch as the kerb in T4 exacerbated the problems, I would have to say that not every car suffered in this way, nor did any of the supporting races including GP2, or even the FIA LMS Series recently. In fact this kerb has not changed since this part of the track was built, what, 3 or 4 years ago.

Sorry, this is a Pirelli problem and as to why, well there's enough speculation going around without me adding to it.

I have never personally witnessed such a spectacular tyre failure since perhaps Mansells's epic blowout in Australia which cost him a WDC.

To have four such spectacular failures cannot be laid at the door of a track which has not been changed in several years.

There is something fundamentally wrong with this whole tyre deal. Not blaming it on Pirelli totally, but they must take a lot of the responsibility.

Malcolm

Supporter
I would lay this at Pirelli's door. Thier reputation will have suffered yesterday. What was interesting to see notwithstanding the blow outs, with 12 laps or so to go with no more tyre worries, management or blow outs, we had a flat out race at last. How different was the driving compared to the whole season up to that point? Chalk and cheese. That is what racing should be about. Mark will get much more enjoyment out of LMP1 cars.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Certainly the fault lies partly with Pirelli but also with Bernie who wanted tires that degraded meaning more tire changes and more passing both in pits and on track, but then limited testing???
I also hear that Pirelli wanted to use Kevlar side walls but were not allowed.
They Pirelli could make a tire that would last the season let alone one race,but that does not fit in with the circus.
Having said that I bet they didn't sell many tires today:sad:

Keith

I do not believe that any global corporation with an enviable reputation for quality, in their right minds, would have attempted this folly.

Pirelli could have thrived and prospered without the assistance of F1. Somebody, very high up, fucked up on this one.

How could anyone make a conscious decision to calculatingly provide racing tyres that deliberately fall apart? I have always had difficulty getting my head around this as a former manufacturer of a high quality product in a competitive market.

Pirelli drank out of the poisoned chalice. Now they must look hard for an antidote. Mine would be a strategic withdrawal and attempt to salvage whatever is left of the company's reputation - probably at the end of the season for contractual reasons - in the meantime putting the best spin doctors on trying to explain this debacle.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Departing slightly from the current path, I turned to the recorder to watch what is turning out to be the abismal season coverage of F1 here in the states. At the scheduled air time, the first 3 minutes of the recording was a summary of the F1 race I wanted to record, followed by 20 minutes of the Tour de France, followed finally by the start of the pre-race show (and the race). So in essence NBCSN told me how the race ended, and then proceeded to televise the race. How much worse can this get!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Write to them and let them know your thoughts, my wife worked in television
And unless things have changed a lot producers take a lot more notice of written criticism, than an irate phone call.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Terry

Google for BBC I Player.
They show everything for a week after it shows.
Search Formula 1

If you do it before Sunday you can watch the whole Grand Prix of GB

Ian

Ian I-Player only works if you have a UK I.P. Address - the servers check to see where you are before allowing access. However there are sites setup around the world that bounce your ip address so you appear to be in the uk - a bit of searching should show some info.

Mike Pass

Supporter
On the tyre thing there is some talk about certain teams running the tyres below the pressure recommended by Pirelli. Also some speculation that some teams were switching used tyres from side to side to even out the wear which could cause excess stress which was not designed for. May or may not be true.
Cheers
Mike

In the German GP, what doesn't seem to have been mentioned about Webber's first pit stop is that because he stayed out longer than Vettel on the softs he may have come out in front of Vettel so the conspiracy theorists will have their usual field day.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well hopefully the world has watched their various replays, a great drive by Vettel, but it is amazing that after an unusually great start from Webber some dick head couldn't get the wheel nut on properly.:stunned:
Terrific from Kimi, Grosjean and Lotus, a terrific race to watch and I'm happy that the camera man that was smashed by the errant wheel is O.K.

P.s. the real dick head was the person who released Mark before the wheel was secured.
The wheel guy was signalling he had problems.

Last edited:
Back