Gullwing Door Conversion

I also looked into having scissor doors. not for aesthetics in any way, but for total practicality. How many guys have parked up their '40's only to find that they can't get back in because when they return there are cars parked either side?

The major reason for me deciding not to go down that road was simply for safety. If you roll the car, you ain't gettin' out in a hurry :(

Brett, the great thing is that with the gullwing at the top, the door never leaves the body line, so can park 6 inches from a wall (space to al least put a foot down as you step out).

Was thinking about gas struts, but they have a lot of presure when closed and with fibreglass I am concerned that the continuing presure will eventually "form" the fibre glass. It will make it easier and smaller to mould into the door..... but I have gone with electric actuators which will work fine based on the mock up and "template tests" done.

Gravy, believe me the only reason for doing it is practicality... and no one can vouch that the original door is practical. I would have loved to leave the aesthetics as is, but need hinge space on the top, so the door at the top is now symetrical and reaaly does not (my opinion) make a major change.

On getting out if I roll it.... I thing it would not matter which door you have, the fibreglass would "splinter" and the best exit would still be to kick out the window..... :furious:

gulwing doors could be nice but so are nice chaped butterfly doors like say this type/model the Gillet Vertigo (only Belian supercar)

this is there older model

gvt1.jpg

this is there latest type 5

Gillet-Vertigo5-Spirit-top-rear.jpg

the door is also attached to the roof wich looks good me thinks and a bit stronger.

GILLET%20VERTIGO%205%20a.jpg

Photos of the GT40 replica we did with a scissor door(Lambo) conversion.

You really can't use anything off the shelf to get the best result. We wanted to do a conversion where it would give you the same access as if you did not have any doors fitted. A lot of scissor door conversions actually make it more difficult to enter/exit the vehicle and that is a result of door shape and hinge design.

We did some mods to the door and guard as insurance for clearance, but these were not required in the end.

Not for everyone, but it really did work well and all involved were very pleased with the result.

Certainly not a project to be taken on lightly.

Attachments

• IMG_2115 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_2115 [800x600].jpg
    41 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG_2117 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_2117 [800x600].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMG_2116 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_2116 [800x600].jpg
    44 KB · Views: 859

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As you say, it may not be for everone, but I think you did an awesome job on it. It looks perfect for those that haul theirs, around in a small enclosed trailer. It looks like a job well done Craig.

Regards Brian

Alan, I will need to dig them up as they have been archived off my computer. I have only kept finished photos of that GT40 on my computer.

The scissor hinges were also fitted in such a manner so that the doors could be swapped back to standard hinges and normal operation relatively easily.

Thanks for the compliments, the hinge mechanism looked impressive and was finished off as well as the rest of the car.

X2 on that...

I still chuckle about the post I read a number of years ago about a fellow that brought his wife home to their single car garage and neither one of them could get out of the car inside the garage. If I recall correctly - he implemented some sort of winch and ramp system to pull it into the garage and then lower it back out again when he wanted to go for a drive.

I don't recall what forum / BBS this was on.. I quick search here did not find it..

Still - it's YOUR car so do what makes YOU happy... :thumbsup:

Like Randy, I recall another post a number of years ago about a UK fellow (I believe) that would pull his GT40 into a single car garage, crack the door enough to reach out and open his kitchen door (attached to the garage) so he could continue to open the GT40 door to exit the car and step right into the kitchen!!

Sorry for the thread drift but if I ever finish my car and have managed to crane it over the roof, the next problem I have is a single garage.

So if anyone has any further info about the above especially the winch system I would be interested, as at the moment the under stairs, door level cupboard is looking vulnerable but please don't tell my wife.

Regards

Nick

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry for the thread drift but if I ever finish my car and have managed to crane it over the roof, the next problem I have is a single garage.

So if anyone has any further info about the above especially the winch system I would be interested, as at the moment the under stairs, door level cupboard is looking vulnerable but please don't tell my wife.

Regards

Nick

Nick

If you can get a straight run and it is a level surface just push it in they roll really easily.

Fix a 2 * 4 plank on the floor where you want the front wheels to stop and it will sit in the same place each and every time!

Ian

Come on now Ian, that's far too elegant in it's simplicity. Surely you could manufacture a complex rigging system for the car ;)

:laugh:

What about a 12volt boat winch as used on a trailer? Alight from the car, with the front wheels set straight ahead, hook cable onto 40 towing hook, then operate remote switch near garage door. The problem is setting up a system which can also pull the car back out.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What about a 12volt boat winch as used on a trailer? Alight from the car, with the front wheels set straight ahead, hook cable onto 40 towing hook, then operate remote switch near garage door. The problem is setting up a system which can also pull the car back out.

Funny you should mention that because I have just such a scheme in my two-car garage/shop, but for a different reason: there is just enough of a slope to my driveway that I can't necessarily push a car from driveway into garage by myself. Harbor Freight 96127 $140. And it plugs into the wall. Bolted to the floor at the back of the garage with expanding bolts in holes drilled with a Harbor Freight hammer drill, of course.

image_3471.jpg

Now, as to making it reversible. I thought a lot about pulleys and shuttles and things like that but have never been able to work that out. What's needed is a separate takeup spool on the same axle as the existing one, and then you could just string rope through a pulley at the front of the garage and attach to the middle of the rope. But I don't see an easy way to modify that winch because the clutch is right where you'd want to extend its axle.

The brute force method would be a second winch off to the side running through a pulley allowing the cable/rope to make a right angle turn into the garage and then run them together. Bleah.

It works ! I have attached some pic's of the project and this weekend had the actuator in and works like a charm. Need some 10 inches on the side for the door to open - (so no more winches). Both doors are in and the right hand door is fully functional - need a lot of fibreglass work now.

Attachments

• GW 4 - Roof cut.jpg
    GW 4 - Roof cut.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 694
  • GW - Centre.jpg
    GW - Centre.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 700
  • GW Centre all 1.jpg
    GW Centre all 1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 748
  • GW R Door actuator 2.jpg
    GW R Door actuator 2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 866
  • GW Door up 1.jpg
    GW Door up 1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 794
Heinrich,
How do you propose the door shut mechanism working with your arraingement? Will it be cocked up to meet the closing angle??

Bill

HI Heinrich

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but can I suggest that you check the screen for fitment at this stage. Looks like the front top of the spider is a bit skew in the last pic.

Cheers

Fred W B

Back