Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Just got back from Scotland, so not much done in the last week or so.
Air conditioning engineer filled and set up the air con system today.
We fitted the new dryer unit, Vac the system down first for 20 minutes then charged with 134a refrigerant gas.
The air con switched on and after the squealing drive belt was re-tensioned the system started to get colder. the screen started to get condensation on and the tempreture dropped.
The trinary switched operated the rad fans and all worked a treat.
Leak tested all the joints....Job done.
Monday the engine builder is coming to fine tune the engine.
The alarm engineer hopefully next week to test the system and sign the Thatcham approved paperwork.
Had a bad connection on the brake light wiring which is now rectified and the brake lights are working.

Replaced the drive belts for the alternator and air con pump for better quality ones.
Fitted the edging trim on the inside of the doors to meet IVA requirements. This means thinning the edges of the fibreglass a bit to ensure the trim fits snug. It will be re fitted after painting.
Started to de-trim some bits ready for IVA and had to cut the gear knob down as it was too close to the steering wheel
Not quite sure what else I did but it took most of the day. Trouble is the more you do the more you find to do.

Attachments

• web 0001.jpg
    web 0001.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 374
  • web 0009.jpg
    web 0009.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 371
  • web 0014.jpg
    web 0014.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 395
These are the air con filling connections that are built into the elbows that come out of the pump.
As you can see there's not much room in this area but just enough that nothing fouls the exhaust system, heat resistant boots cover the plug leads where they get close. I may move the leads later as I will most likely be fitting a turkey tray heat shield around the injectors, but for now there ok.

Attachments

• web air con.jpg
    web air con.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 412
  • web 0020.jpg
    web 0020.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 436
Engine was fine tuned today by the engine builder Knight Racing Services and Lee Penn, Lee set up the Delta wing at Le Mans 24hr, it crashed out but not his fault...
I have Got to re route the spark plug leads as there too close to the exhausts, they can go the other side of the air con pipes that also need protection.
A good hard noisey run today saw the tempreture only up to 76 deg C with the fans on it's down to mid to high 60 s deg C
Oil pressure and fuel pressures all good and just need to notch a piece out of a bracket that fouls the throttle linkage so that we can get 100% full throttle, currently 86%
Need to fit hotter running spark plugs, will get them this week.
Very responsive and crisp.
Will you tube a video when I can

Neat Martin,
I Noticed you dont have a remote oil cooler and filter also no exhausts on in the photo.
Must be a bit more cramped now ?

How have you found the air con,, early indications are that mine gets pretty cool

Car down at SGT Monday.....IVA looming
Cheers

Hi Keith
I didn't fit an oil cooler and have found I haven't needed one to be honest even after the high temperatures at the lat Classic Le-Mans. The exhaust pipes are quite a distance from the ac pipes but I have to add they are the second set fitted as the original ones sprang leaks. Your car looks fabulous can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Thanks Martin,
If the car looks as pretty as yours I will be a happy bunny

Working on the car tommorrow, just got to fit a hotter running set of NGK BKR6E plugs
as it was running a bit fuelie with all the stop starting.
Going round checking bits and pieces.
Got a small list for Mick at SGT to do and away it goes for IVA.
Removed some parts that are not to be fitted for IVA.
And the alarm man has gone on holiday so I had to do the wiring myself but it seems to work a treat.

Fitted the new plugs and straight away it was crisp and responsive
fitted plates over where the grill goes
That's it for now
I'm doing no more, just got to wipe the body over and load it on a transporter.

Attachments

• 0023 web.jpg
    0023 web.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 533
  • 0028 web.jpg
    0028 web.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 541
  • 0032 web.jpg
    0032 web.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 508
Car collected today.
Bit of an over kill.
Transporter could take 3-4 cars and mine was on its own.

Time now to work on one of the Ultimas while it's away

Attachments

• IMG_0014web.jpg
    IMG_0014web.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0003 web.jpg
    IMG_0003 web.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 457
Keith

Saw you car in the flesh today when I popped in to ask a few pre-purchase questions, it looked amazing..... If mine turns out half as good as your I will be very happy indeed. I really liked the turned brass trim on the door pockets, I feel a commission may be coming you way ;)

Hi Paul, Glad you like it so far.
Brass trim is actually Bronze, it's a bit of scrap I had laying around at work.
Glad your thinking of an SGT you wont go far wrong and there local to you as is of course Goodwood.
Glad to give you a few tips that will help
Cheers

Hi Paul, Glad you like it so far.
Brass trim is actually Bronze, it's a bit of scrap I had laying around at work.
Glad your thinking of an SGT you wont go far wrong and there local to you as is of course Goodwood.
Glad to give you a few tips that will help
Cheers

Cheers, I will almost certainly be picking your brains from time to time, the thought of no build manual still fills me with dread but how hard can it be.....:shy:

Going to order the chassis for spring next year all being well so still plenty of time for more pre build learning :thumbsup:

No problem Paul,
I'm Sometimes in the Chicester area so can always drop in if need be.
Build manual would be good, I have mentioned it to Mick a few times.
Having one would have eliminated me doing a few jobs then finding there's a better way.
A bit frustrating but Mick is busy and it is a low volume car, doing a manual would be time consuming., although I did consider doing one myself.
All can be done relatively straightforward and Mick is always at the end of a phone.
I would order the chassis and ally panels at the same time then you can get on with the build
Keep in touch

No problem Paul,
I'm Sometimes in the Chicester area so can always drop in if need be.
Build manual would be good, I have mentioned it to Mick a few times.
Having one would have eliminated me doing a few jobs then finding there's a better way.
A bit frustrating but Mick is busy and it is a low volume car, doing a manual would be time consuming., although I did consider doing one myself.
All can be done relatively straightforward and Mick is always at the end of a phone.
I would order the chassis and ally panels at the same time then you can get on with the build
Keep in touch

Thanks, you may well regret offering your help;)

I will be ordering hopfully enough to get me a rolling chassis minus the wheels initialy, which I'm figuring will give me about a year or so's work as I have a young family to take up most of my time.
This will also give me time to save up the next lump of cash to get me through the next year or two:thumbsup:

Feels odd now I'm finally getting to the stage of actually building one, been planning this for about the last six years and I've still not even sat in one yet:laugh:

Paul

There's plenty to sit in you just have to ask.
I remember ordering my 1st GTD 40 in 1998 after only going round goodwood in one as a passenger.
Ask Mick at SGT when he's next at Goodwood, have a day off and get down there.
Go round in Glenn Masons car if you can he's an ok fella. You might just shit yourself so take a pair of bicycle clips with you.
When I get my car rolling you can tag along.
Cheers

There's plenty to sit in you just have to ask.
I remember ordering my 1st GTD 40 in 1998 after only going round goodwood in one as a passenger.
Ask Mick at SGT when he's next at Goodwood, have a day off and get down there.
Go round in Glenn Masons car if you can he's an ok fella. You might just shit yourself so take a pair of bicycle clips with you.
When I get my car rolling you can tag along.
Cheers

Thanks I may just do that... (Err, ask Mick not shit myself that is)

Anyway I will stop hijacking your thread for now and look forward to your next update.

Regards

Paul

Found a picture of the dark red coloured GT40 that I'm having my 40 painted.
Currently awaiting IVA @ Southampton

Attachments

• red gt 40.jpg
    red gt 40.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 508
Back