Keith's RCR GT40 Mk I Build

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Apparently Santa believed I was a good boy this year and he provided me with a new Grant 1130 steering wheel. I drilled the wheel and the trim ring to accept quarter inch bolts from the quick release; then I turned down the heads of the five five button head stainless cap screws to fit in the trim ring.
The leather wheel, chrome trim ring, and the Ford GT logo really adds some "bling" to the interior.
Keith

Attachments

• GT 40 047.jpg
    GT 40 047.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 742
  • GT 40 050.jpg
    GT 40 050.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 928

Chuck

Supporter
Keith: really nice. Nothing like the feel of leather on the steering wheel.

So when do we get the 'first drive' report?

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Chuck,
I will definately have to get the side windows in before the first drive as it is not going to get above freezing here this weekend. Although, I am not all that sure that the cold would stop me.
Keith

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Door top keepers.
As I really did not like the look of the "eyebrows" I purchased a set of the "door top keepers" from EGLITOM here on the Forum. They are stainless steel and have a very high quality look. I used 1/4 inch button head fasteners and rivnuts to mount them. The tab on the piece that is attached to the door top has to be manipulated (bent) to get the correct fit, but when they are adjusted correctly the door tops match the top of the spider perfectly.
Keith

Attachments

• GT 40 057.jpg
    GT 40 057.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 888
  • GT 40 058.jpg
    GT 40 058.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 884
  • GT 40 056.jpg
    GT 40 056.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 901

Chuck

Supporter
Chuck,
I will definately have to get the side windows in before the first drive as it is not going to get above freezing here this weekend. Although, I am not all that sure that the cold would stop me.
Keith

Out very first drive in the Cobra in January 2007 was in freezing rain near midnight. No top. Discovered the wipers worked. Once it was done, just could not wait to take it out. A drive in the GT without side windows would be a piece of cake. You can do it!!!

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Light box covers:
I made a card stock template of the openings for the lights in the front clip. They are very nearly the identical shape so there is no need to make a template for each side. I cut the covers out of .025 aluminum sheet on the band saw and fastened them in with #8 stainless steel sheet metal screws.
I had thought about painting them flat black but I like the way they look so I am leaving them natural.
Keith

Attachments

• GT 40 059.jpg
    GT 40 059.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 618
  • GT 40 060.jpg
    GT 40 060.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 779
Hey Kieth thanks for the part number on the steering wheel. I picked one up last weekend. I ordered another steering wheel decal from Chris for the center, my first attempt wasn,t good enough :sad:

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Side windows:
The side windows are pretty time consuming to install. One must take their time when sanding the window edges for a final fit. I used the hole pattern that Chuck and Ryan used for the fasteners. I applied the same "foam tape" that I used for the light covers on the windows as it makes for a very nice finished look. The door shell was drilled and taped to accept 8-32 stainless button head screws (the same as I used on the light covers). The fasteners take a bit of adjusting so that the window edges don't get a "wavey" look as you sight down the window.
Keith

Attachments

• GT 40 064.jpg
    GT 40 064.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 891
  • GT 40 066.jpg
    GT 40 066.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 866
Keith, awesome job trimming and mounting the side windows. You are right on the money about snugging the screws down to just hold them in place. If overtightened, the plastic will become wavy due to the pressure of the screws. Again, a super sharp fitment.

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Faux Fuel Tank Inspection Covers:
I machined two oval covers to simulate the covers on the original cars. They were made from .250 thick 6061 aluminum plate. I drilled and countersunk holes for stainless steel fasteners and stuck the fasteners in place with epoxy. After half an hour on the buffing wheel they had the appropriate "bling" that I was looking for. I used black RTV to hold them in place. Now if I can just keep my feet off of them..............
Keith

Attachments

• GT 40 076.jpg
    GT 40 076.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 645
  • GT 40 081.jpg
    GT 40 081.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 798

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Wheel Centers:
I have been keeping myself busy while the weather warms up enough for my first test drive by finishing all those last details that seemed so trivial during the build.
The wheel centers were chucked in the lathe and polished. Then I took had a "GT40" engraved on them and brought them home for another polishing.
As an oh-by-the-way; what are you using for an interior rear view mirror? I have not found anything I like yet.
Keith

Attachments

• GT 40 072.jpg
    GT 40 072.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 607
  • GT 40 069.jpg
    GT 40 069.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 715
Keith

very nice !

You may want to paint the circumfences of the side and rear window and the light covers black from the inside, otherwise you will soon see a lot of dirt and dust behind the windows on the rubber seal.

I´m using an original inside mirror (Lucas) purchased from Andy here on the forum including the originalstyle mounting base.

TOM

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
FIRST DRIVE!!!!!
The sun was finally out yesterday, and there was still a little time before sunset when I got home so I finally got to take the GT40 out on the street for the first time. What an experience! One "trip around the block" is just short of a mile so I made three quick laps. I am impressed with how nimble it is; it makes my cobra feel like a tank.
The rear vision (or lack of it) is going to take some getting used to but other than that it is a BLAST to drive. My one WOT run up the hill brought a few neighbors out for a look but other than that it was pretty uneventful.
I expected to have a list of "bugs" to work out but I only have two items I need to fix after the first run. The speedometer did not work and I plan on moving the sensor in a little closer to the bolt heads and see if it can get a better signal, and, it looks like I am going to have to make a clutch pedal stop to limit the travel of the clutch as it appears that when the clutch is fully depressed the clutch lever contacts the clutch pressure plate. The clutch works great it just needs a stop to keep it from over traveling.

The list of things to make it complete is getting shorter:
1. Inside rear view mirror (still can't decide on which one to buy and install).
2. Window for the rear clip (can't decide if I should install the Plexi or buy a glass one from Andy and have it cut to fit the RCR).
3. I have not started the registration process yet, but I guess if I plan to drive it on the street I better get going on it.

It looks like I have to make some decisions soon as the Spring car show season is getting closer.
I had a friend from work stop by to take the photos; his first comment after the test run was "man, that thing looked like a rocket ship comming up the hill and did it sound sweet!"
Here are some of the photos, Keith

Attachments

• GT40 429.jpg
    GT40 429.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 915
  • GT40 430.jpg
    GT40 430.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 918
  • GT40 441.jpg
    GT40 441.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 813
  • GT40 442.jpg
    GT40 442.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 813

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Beautiful work Keith. I well remember my first run and it was quite an adrenellin filled one too. The good thing about ownership is it only gets better!

Congrats!

Bill H

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Keith, that first drive is always emotion filled, a bit like your first kiss, a bit scary but you just know it's gonna get way better.

Back