Kiwi scratchbuilt

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Another big milestone tonight! Fired up the motor and boy is she sweet!

This I am sure is due in no small way to the long suffering Jac Mac who has been plagued by long emails and late night phone calls. Over the last few years he has attempted to educate me and keep me on the straight and narrow, and save me from my own follies and foolish decisions. Not always successfully, in his view!

And equally to Lim who has been there to do much intricate machining on the motor and most of the bits hung on it, not to mention the cast dry sump he made.
So I owe both these guys a huge vote of thanks:chug:
Start up tonight was performed by myself, Lim and Leon. Heated up the oil tank, cranked it over to get up the oil pressure, then ignition and fuel pump on, four pumps on the throttle and hit the starter. It fired up in less than two seconds instantly on all eight and we brought it up to 2500 rpm, adjusted the oil pressure to 50psi, checked the timing and ran it for the next 20 minutes checking for oil, water, fuel leaks. Nothing! All good.

Since I have opted not to run fans, after 20mins the temperature was as high as I was comfortable with, so reset the timing at some higher revs and called it a night.

There was really only one issue and that was every time we brought the revs up to 4000 the rev counter died. The reading returned to normal when we dropped the revs. If the motor was blipped harder the tacho crapped out at about 3500. Any one got any ideas where to start looking to cure this problem? Ignition is magnetic distributor and MSD 6AL. Tacho is Smiths motorsport 'classic'. I Will post a query in the relevant technical forum.

Next milestone is track testing in a weeks time. Weather permitting! Still heaps to do before that!

Last edited:
Fantastic news Russ!!! so happy for you that it all went so well, I bet your bum is just itching to get in that seat and get some laps in. Makes all the years of work seem miniscual now.

Cheers mate,

Well Guys here is the links to the footage of the first 2 startup of Russ's engine.I must say it was great to hear the beast fire into life for the first time and to be there.If you look closely you can see the smile on Russ's face moments after startup.It is a real credit to both Russ and Lim for the hours and hours the have both put in.Great stuff Cheers Leon

Startup 1- YouTube - Russ GT40 startup

Startup 2- YouTube - Russ GT40 Start Up No2

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for posting the vids Leon. I think we all felt pretty happy after that success.

Nevertheless the work must continue! Tonight we worked on shaping and mounting the polycarb panels. Finished the rear screen, rear bulkhead and the vertical one at the front of the rear clip. Still got to do the side windows. Pics of linishing the rear screen and helper lying down on the job!

I need to have the car sufficiently finished to test this Friday so its still all go!

Leonmac, I can't wait! First race meeting is planned for the weekend after next and I have just entered in some of the supporting races but one of the featured races is a one hour mini-enduro and the organisers want me to run in that also. So I'm going to, but a one hour race on it's first competitive outing is not quite the gentle build up that I was looking for! In fact with everything on the car virtually scratchbuilt and untried and untested in the heat of competition there is always the chance of minor (major?) gremlins appearing. So a further track test is planned for Tuesday week, then its straight into the race weekend. Nothing like jumping in the deep end!

Attachments

• polycarb 910.JPG
    polycarb 910.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 427
  • polycarb 909.JPG
    polycarb 909.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 502
Russ,
It sounds sweet. I like your pipes ,I can't believe how quiet it is. Now all you need is a nice patch of straight open bumpy road to do some low and high speed passes on. I would have Lim sitting beside you with a checklist and a flashlight to listen for and check anything out of the ordinary. Put a tow strap in the Land Rover just in case you have any problems. All those years of work it's better to catch it now than later.
Good luck
Dave

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great work guys!!! It sounds fabulous! The muffler system seems to work rather well!

Seeing it sitting on the ground and watching you all walk around her sure puts things into perspective! :)

Russ:
Looks and sounds great, I know the audio doesent do that motor justice, I'll bet it sounds sweet in person.
Your chassis looks better every time I see it.
Cheers
Phil

Russell
Great to hear that sound...its about as close as a man can get to giving life if you know what I mean. I well remember what it felt like. The level of skill and engineering that I have seen is a credit to you and you team and your first drive will be magic. I look forward to seeing your car in the flesh.
Creating cars in our back yard is the true essence of kiwi motorsport.
Congratulations, you deserve it.
Cheers Russell

Russ,
That is some great work you guys have done. Really surprised there were no leaks of any kind. It is a footnote to the level of work you have put into this project. Mine being a first time full project is with its inherent problems, but nothing that can't be overcome. Congratulations, I know it makes you feel proud. I have had problems getting the video of my start up off the camera. May have to resort to an older method and shoot it again when I get the bugs worked out!!

Bill

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well it's all coming together nicely. Although we missed the Friday test day. All these wee jobs seem to take forever! But everything is being done thoroughly and double checked and I am confident that it will pay off in the long run by eliminating most of the potential initial gremlins.

Steering arms and tie rods made and fitted. So then we could set the ride height and do the wheel alignment. I was very pleased with the results when we measured everything. It took minimal adjustment to get the wheelbase and the diagonals all down to +/- 1mm.

Been finishing off a whole lot of wee jobs the last day or two, adjusting pedals, bleeding brakes and clutch, mounting catch tanks, changed out the break in oil, put in a new filter, fitted the race plugs, fitted the rear clip hold down pins. Now fitting the seat belts and have to mount the mirrors and fuel cap.

The plan for testing now is Tuesday afternoon. Fingers crossed for good weather

Attachments

• susp 915.JPG
    susp 915.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 524
  • susp 916.JPG
    susp 916.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 494
  • susp 910.JPG
    susp 910.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 556
  • susp 912.JPG
    susp 912.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 524
  • susp 913.JPG
    susp 913.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 560

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Hey Russ, you had us sitting on the edge of our seats last SFOS --shaping up pretty well so far---sort of looking for an excuse to visit SFOS next year --- do you need a shake down engineer or something ??:thinking2:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Scott.

Chris, if you can make it to SFOS then your GT40 race experience would be most welcome on the team!

We went out to the track this afternoon, mainly to bed in the brakes and put some more load and revs on the motor, and also to get the feel of how the car will be. I've got the slip set up twice as tight as they normally have them and was concerned that it might cause excessive understeer. That is certainly not the case. Quite twitchy, in fact, but that should improve as the tyres scrub in.

Oil pressure was good, all the temperatures were too cold, so may have to blank off some of the water and oil radiators.

So it was a good day, the car performed up to expectations and all the bits that we have built performed faultlessly. The rifle bolt gear change worked exceptionally well, rapidly, almost instantaneously, and was not baulked by those reputably terrible 930 synchros. Very pleasing. Although a couple of times I found my left hand looking for a non-existant centre gear lever!! LOL

One minor operator problem, I keep hitting the brake pedal instead of the clutch when I go to change gear. Lock up all four wheels and of course wind up in neutral going at half the speed! Not so good on race day LOL. Going to have to think about whats causing that! And fix it. Pronto!

Despite the afore mentioned lockups, and a couple of spins, the tits are only just starting to wear off the tyres. All the basics appear to be right, now its just a matter of optimizing everything.

One of the few new items that I never stripped, modified or checked was the fuel pressure regulator. That tends to occasionally keep sticking closed causing a lack of fuel. I did 17 gentle-ish laps today before calling it quits as the mixture kept leaning out.

Spinner direction. I am running RHT/RHS and they are certainly not loosening off. I'll stick with my theories and research and elementary physics on this one!

It was something of a rush getting out to the track today, I forgot to load up the spare race fuel and some other stuff, and the camera, so no pics this time I'm afraid....Hope to have something from this coming race weekend. The one hour race is off for us as they have decided the car doesn't meet eligibility criteria, so just one of the supporting races...

So now I have to look the car over, bleed the brakes, retorque the heads, reset valve clearances, recheck ride height and susp settings. And put on the race numbers.

So thats it, she's running and showing promise, the culmination of 5 years pretty solid effort. Special thanks to Lim who has been here since day one and who has put in a phenomenal amount of work too over that time. Also to Leon who lately has been a regular helper as well. I think it's time we all had a celebratory drink!

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Russ & Lim !!!!!

We'll have to trust you for pictures later but all in all it sounds like a good first outing!

Russ,
I like it. I hope you do well. Now that you are done with Lim I will send over all material I have to bring him up to speed on my project. He can read it all on the 18 hour flight over. (Ha Ha!) Of course being retired I don't pay very well.
Dave

Russ,
First thanks for the helpful info on my setup. I know you are happy to have the car running. I know that most of your "bugs" will be minor anoyances at best. Congratualations on getting it going. I know I would be hapy just to get 17 laps in the neighborhood! Get that camera rolling so we can see and hear some of the rolling action.

Bill

Back