Mclaren M8b replica (visual)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hi
Not very aero dynamic? maybe I should wait for my sheet metal man to roll me my wing panels.
I have painted the car but not the happiest with what I have done, looks great at first glance but I am fussy being this close to the end. Now looking for a tame car painter to put on an acceptable top coat.
Cheers
Russell

Shot of the mounting points for the wing? Please?

The wing mounts directly onto the top of the chassis where the Roll bar mounts, if I had been smart, I would have made the original mount part higher to accommodate the attachment. What I have done is make two small adaptors that bolt onto the same area to raise the mount up just above the body work so that release pins can allow the quick removal of the wing. I had only ever planned on the wing being for show how ever I do plan on doing a demo run with it attached early next year. Should look impressive.
Cheers
Russell

Attachments

• DSCF3574.jpg
    DSCF3574.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCF3577.jpg
    DSCF3577.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 282
Getting closer, been a little busy the last few weeks so not much action. Have finally sorted out the paintwork and been able to cut and polish some areas that I was not happy with. So today, started putting on the decals and fitted the screen, waiting for the gunk to set then remove the masking tape.
The car will be on display in July in the Speed show alongside my other replica.
Should be a fantastic site to see both the #4 and #5 car side by side..... and we will then sit back and wait for the howls of protest.....
Its a bit like the first car all over again, as this car will also see the first light of day and its first turn of the wheels at the same show.
Great feeling.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3592.jpg
    DSCF3592.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCF3591.jpg
    DSCF3591.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 262
I would like to think that the 'Trust' having sold their own car and had Taupo renamed in Bruce McLarens honour would let all that naming rights stuff go, after all he started out in NZ specials etc, a tradition which thankfully folk like you are continuing....

Keith

Indeed, however, when is a "McLaren' not a "McLaren"? In the World market, there are huge bucks involved so it's perhaps better to be at one with your provenance if you plan to leave the homestead :)

Otherwise,they're all very cool..:coolgleam:

At last, the big reveal....Just completed the full decal set and am very pleased at the outcome. Had a few issues with paint (gravity) but have now got the cut and polish game down to a tee, so will address a couple of areas where there has been a bit of dust, nothing that paying a pro painter many thousands of dollars would not have cured. Have just got to fit the side screens to the doors and we are all but done.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN0153.jpg
    DSCN0153.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 369

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You've DONE IT Russell!!!!
A brilliant work of automotive art you have there....
Congratulations!

Looks great Russell, Nice to meet you the other week and have you in the workshop. I will be back into it when I get home from this holiday. i have bought a few goodies for my engine while over in the States so I have to get things moving. When is the show, I would like to come and see the cars. To think you have now built 2 cars and I,m still a long way from the finish on my first. Again the car looks great.

Cheers Leon

Leon
It`s the 16th and 17th of July at the ASB showgrounds in Epsom, SPEEDSHOW. I think the Friday may be a trade day.

Yes it was good to put a face to the name thanks, after seeing your wing I have been hard out making mine. I could not get anyone to roll such a tight leading edge so with a bit of kiwi I made a jig using some timber, formed a `trench` 34mm wide and 50mm deep. I then laid a pre cut strip of ally on top, got a real clean piece of pipe and a piece of 150mm x 50mm timber as a strong back and inserted in into my hyd press, worked it backwards and forwards and hey presto, perfectly formed leading edge. I have some wing `ribs` and alloy rib mounts being cut at the moment which will bolt directly onto my uprights, my sheet metal man (Graham Berry Jnr) rolled me the top and bottom so it will be just a case of pop riveting it together in a couple of days.
Cheers
Russell

Congratulations Russell, It really looks the part. Like Leon, I have along way to go, and some times it can be daunting when you try to think too far ahead. Then, when I see pictures like this, it's a real inspiration. You've done a great job. Keep the pictures coming please.

Back