Mirror Pics wanted

Doug Dyar

Supporter
In some other threads, owners have posted pics of their exterior mirrors.
I particularly like the ones mounted to the side windows with a triangular mount that uses the existing screws.
I have found a source (Pegasus) for SPA GT/LeMans mirrors that I like.
Has anyone mounted these to their side windows, and can you please post detailed pics of how they are mounted?
And, most importantly, how well do they work mounted there?
Thx!
Doug

Neil

Supporter
Doug;

My red Manta Mirage (the original Santa Ana factory showroom car) used flat glass mirrors mounted on the front fenders but they were virtually worthless. Their basic problem was that they were small mirrors and, being mounted so far away from the driver's eyes, their field of view is tiny. To solve this problem, I mounted two slightly convex mirrors inside the cockpit, following the windshield hoop. These mirrors have a large field of view and solve the rear/side blind spot problem. The mirrors are metal so there is no glass to break in case of an accident. I found them years ago at an aircraft salvage yard here in Tucson. I removed them from two F-86 jet fighter cockpits. Yes, fighters need rear view mirrors too. :)

Here is a photo of the driver's side mirror. Sorry for things being so dirty- it was in storage for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_183133243_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180422_183133243_HDR.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 471

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Doug;

My red Manta Mirage (the original Santa Ana factory showroom car) used flat glass mirrors mounted on the front fenders but they were virtually worthless. Their basic problem was that they were small mirrors and, being mounted so far away from the driver's eyes, their field of view is tiny. To solve this problem, I mounted two slightly convex mirrors inside the cockpit, following the windshield hoop. These mirrors have a large field of view and solve the rear/side blind spot problem. The mirrors are metal so there is no glass to break in case of an accident. I found them years ago at an aircraft salvage yard here in Tucson. I removed them from two F-86 jet fighter cockpits. Yes, fighters need rear view mirrors too. :)

Here is a photo of the driver's side mirror. Sorry for things being so dirty- it was in storage for a while.

Neil

Yes, I am concerned that mounting mirrors forward of the cockpit will minimize their usefulness. Or they will give a great view of the rear of the car, but not so good a view of surrounding traffic.

I like your solution. Unfortunately there are no fighter boneyards anywhere near me. Although a road trip to visit one suddenly sounds like a good idea!

Doug

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Doug,

I think I have some pictures of that setup as some of our customers have done that. One cut the triangle from aluminum and had a nut tig'ed to the plate. The mirror stanchion threads into the nut and locks with a jam nut. He put double face tape on the back of the mount, not to secure but to insulate from the plexi. longer screws attach to the body and if I remember correctly he installed nutserts so the retaining screws are machine thread so no wear on the fiberglass.

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Doug,

I think I have some pictures of that setup as some of our customers have done that. One cut the triangle from aluminum and had a nut tig'ed to the plate. The mirror stanchion threads into the nut and locks with a jam nut. He put double face tape on the back of the mount, not to secure but to insulate from the plexi. longer screws attach to the body and if I remember correctly he installed nutserts so the retaining screws are machine thread so no wear on the fiberglass.

Rick
That sounds like a neat solution. Please post any pics you can send.
Did that mounting method provide good rearward visibility?
Doug

Doug, I wanted the same mounting, but due to a series of unfortunate events (installer turnover mid build) the message was lost and the mirrors got mounted on the body. Although not my first choice, I think the style works and the visibility is excellent (for a car like this). Here's some photos from outside and from inside out. A bit hard to appreciate the vision in a photo, but so far so good.

IMG_8322.jpg
IMG_8321.jpg
IMG_8325.jpg
IMG_8320.jpg
IMG_8324.jpg
IMG_8319.jpg

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Cameron
That looks like a good solution to me.
I know what you mean about the miscommunication during the build. Seemingly small details can become an issue if not discussed with the owner.
Love your car, and thanks for the pictures!
Doug

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Doug, I copied and pasted the picture but then couldn't seem to be able to type. This is what I did, copied from Dave Collins who recommended it and sent me the mirror details. You could also search Daves' threads to find any info there.

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Doug, I copied and pasted the picture but then couldn't seem to be able to type. This is what I did, copied from Dave Collins who recommended it and sent me the mirror details. You could also search Daves' threads to find any info there.

Dave
The matching paint looks good.
The bracket looks to be very stout.
Nice, clean install. Thanks for the post!
Doug

Neil

Supporter
Isn't anyone concerned about how much aerodynamic drag those big outside mirrors are adding to a GT40?

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I mounted mine as per original. The passenger side (left) is more useful than the drivers (right). Outward visibility isn’t the 40’s strong suit. Just follow the “first rule”.

573F7B57-CD42-4E37-948C-6808FB192A41.jpeg

Hi Doug m8 .. im not sure of make or model ........ I just put in carbon wing mirrors on Ebay ...... and they came up along the way ... They arnt real carbon .. But look good i like to think ...

John.....

For what it’s worth, I looked for a mirror that was more a period ‘street’ mirror, rather than a racing type, and wasn’t a curvy modern type. In the end, I also elected to go electric for convenience.
Research came up with, sacrilege, I know: 70’s Porsche 911. ‘Period’ shape, designed for speed and good vision past the wide tail. The brackets fit directly to the door without modification, although they are originally handed, so mix and matching required for the GT40.
Cheers, Lance
DSC04015a.jpg
DSC04019a.jpg
DSC03955.JPG
DSC07362.JPG

Back