Nicks Forte Scratch Build - to Stunning Mk1 GTD

NickD

Supporter
Two milestones reached Today. Firstly, the Fuel Tank straps that a small group of us GT Forte builders had designed along with the tanks have arrived. very nice they look too. Will be adding rubber to the insides where they meet the tanks.

Secondly, finally took the plunge and had a crack at putting together the Near Side rear upright from the parts kit I purchased. Its taken about 90 minutes all in all and I'm happy with then result prior to power filing the edges back. nice to be working on 3mm steel plate and above as can crack the welder up a bit and push the welds nicely into the metal.

At less than £90 an upright, I'm more than pleased.

Should have some proper pics when both are finished and primed at the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,118
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 896

NickD

Supporter
Very impressive Nick and unbelievably good value for money.

Yep, and the quality is good. Its all laser cut as you would expect and pre folded etc. Forget just how tough 3mm steel is after panelling with 18 Guage Ally for the last 3 weeks.

Our group designed seats should arrive (un-trimmed) next week. ;-)

Two milestones reached Today. Firstly, the Fuel Tank straps that a small group of us GT Forte builders had designed along with the tanks have arrived. very nice they look too. Will be adding rubber to the insides where they meet the tanks.

Nick, let me know if you want me to send you some of this rubber sheet i have here. Just let me know how much, i have meters of the stuff.

Andrew

NickD

Supporter
Quick update on the Rear Uprights, had to slow up the past week as my 91 year old Father fell and broke his hip. So car build took a residing back seat for a week and just a few hours here and there in between hospital visits.

Have completed to build of both the near and offsides now and have painted one to see the result. I went for a paint normally used to restore Alloy Wheels, it gives a dark Ally look although not too close as if your trying to make it look like Aluminium with the benefit that its resilient to chips, brake dust and the like normally found around the wheels. Has a Teflon non-stick frying pan kind of feel so hopefully they should stand up well. As I have the lower reverse "A" Frames already, I'll soon be able to mount the Uprights and then get to work on making the Top Links and Trailing Links. I've gone Rod End on all these so should have a nice flexible set up when I'm done.

All in all I reckon it took me 3 hours to make both from the kit GT-Forte supplied. Including the primer and paint (not my time of course) , I have two Uprights I know I can trust for the princely sum of £170.

Attachments

• IMG_2508.jpg
    IMG_2508.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 944
Last edited:

NickD

Supporter
Now I have finished the build and paint of the two Steel rear uprights, thought I'd have a crack at the rear top links.

As I already have my lower reverse 'A' Frames, this will allow me to position the uprights from above and below so I can work out the correct dimensions for the rear trailing links.

The Rod ends are Left / Right handed on each of the top links for easy adjustment. I went for 1/2" UNF on the adjustment thread and they accommodate 7/16 at the bearings. Very well priced from McGill Motorsport in the UK.

They have rubber Dust gators to protect the bearings when in use, not shown in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 739

NickD

Supporter
I started with an open mind and always give people and companies an even break. I said at the outset that I would choose the best from the companies in the market. For reasons I will keep to myself, I have removed GT-Forte from my list of companies I will do business with.

On the up-side, builds going well and will have additional pics to share soon.

N.

NickD

Supporter
Just thought I'd confirm that I am still alive and kicking ;-)

Father not been too well lately so family matters first of course. Had the new seats arrive Today and will soon get around to test fitting so can definitely sort the whole seat, pedal box and steering column positions out.

All in all, for a 4 - 5 year build Im way ahead of my plans and hope to have her fully panelled, suspension on (except brakes) along with Spyder, Fuel Tanks and Sills in place for new years Day.

I'll definitely be raising a glass to that if I hit the Jan 1st Milestone.

Considering a year ago Today I was still thinking Cobra's, not a bad waypoint.

Nick.

Brett, I think what is needed is a GT40 SWAT Team. A bunch of guys that have past the finish line, they then go on a tour (a busman's holiday) and help poor sods like me and you for a week and get the bloody thing done, the only deal is we give them accommodation, food and beer. K

NickD

Supporter
Its been October since I last even looked at the car given Parents on-going health issues, but things seem to be on the mend a bit so time to dust off the chassis and put a few more hours in. I was close to giving up on more than one occasion given the situation over the last few Months ;-)

Can't believe the mess in my garage with car and engine parts everywhere.

Expect an update soon as I make some well needed progress ;-)

:thumbsup:

Nick.

Glad to see things with your folks are improving Nick and you are turning your attention back to the car.

Its been hard sometimes getting out to the garge over the cold months, but once i am out there i enjoy it and it is a great distraction from the dull day to day issues we all have lurking in the background.

Look forward to your updates.

Andrew

Keep at it!!!!

I now how you feel but the best cure for the 'jack it in' blues is to make a little progress.

Should be starting the engine for the first time in a couple of weeks. getting excited even if all those little things on my list seem to costing more and more as i get closer to engine start.

Could i pop over and see your tanks some time?

NickD

Supporter
Keep at it!!!!

I now how you feel but the best cure for the 'jack it in' blues is to make a little progress.

Should be starting the engine for the first time in a couple of weeks. getting excited even if all those little things on my list seem to costing more and more as i get closer to engine start.

Could i pop over and see your tanks some time?

Yes, of course you can. Give me a week or so so you don't break an ankle walking over all the crap in my garage ;-) If you look at the JAF facebook page they seem to have been making more Tanks.

Excellent to hear you're back in the game Nick, but remember you're still not allowed to finish before me....
Let me know when you are open for garage tours and I'll pop up too to inspect progress

Back