Nicks Forte Scratch Build - to Stunning Mk1 GTD

NickD

Supporter
Hi Chaps,

As I'm going Ford Granada Mk2 on all 4 corners of my GT-Forte, I managed to pick up some modern bearing carriers. Alloy as opposed to the old style Steel.

Now I'm looking for a couple of 5 stud Rear Hub Flanges, Any chaps in the UK have a couple of unwanted / for sale to hand ?

Found a couple on eBay but they are still attached to the entire rear subframe and suspension and at the other end of the country ;-(

Thanks.

Nick.

Attachments

• IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,081

NickD

Supporter
Garage door re-opened, after many months. Just as I left her back last August. A little dust has settled during the last 8 months but ready to go again. Me, a little Greyer but wiser !

Got my Granada rear drive flanges from another Gt-Forte friend, bought new Granada Alloy rear bearing carriers and looking good to go ;-)

Nick.

Attachments

• IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 1,302

NickD

Supporter
Hi, been a while since my last update.

I picked up some Ford Granada rear drive flanges a few weeks back so now to bring them back to life and reduce the outside diameter so they will be compatible with the 4 pot Wilwoods im planning to fit at the rear.

Now fitted to my new Berrisford Engineering alloy rear bearing carriers.

They shined up like a new penny !

Attachments

• IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_3254 (1).jpg
    IMG_3254 (1).jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 911

NickD

Supporter
Birth of the ND40 (GT-Forte from Chassis Flat Pack) )

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I really started to re-focus on my project.

Because I have been doing bits and bobs for a few weeks I probably have about 5-6 works threads in progress. Engine and Tranny apart, have finally almost finished my welding (and on one of the hottest days this year in the UK). Original engine mounts from supplier were way wrong dimesions, but after a phone call, new ones arrived, sat in the corner for 6 months and are now in place (Vertically at least). Will weld some plate between the upright blades but just some to help stiffen.

Because I want my modest SBF302 as far forward as possible, (Audi trans-axle drive shaft angles allowing), I have not yet welded the Engine mount tube into my engine mount vertical blades.

I was getting a bit lazy with progress so I set myself a red line/compelling event, that I cant delay. ordered the core body components to arrive mid Sept, so with limited space, my core chassis must be ready to accept them.

Attachments

• IMG_0088 copy.jpg
    IMG_0088 copy.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 1,004

NickD

Supporter
And Yes, as anyone will notice, (Nick, why have you placed what appear to be your reverse "A" mounts there ?), complete cock up many months ago !. Only reason they are still there is I hope I can mount my rear clam pneumatic/hydraulic supports or something of use before I remove them !

That was a real Blonde moment some nights back last year when you think this is so easy you don't stop to " Measure Twice before Cutting Once" !

NickD

Supporter
Its been a while since my last post with a few health issues in the family to deal with. During the few moments some progress has been made on the engine and chassis front.

Latest milestone, had my Audi O1x cleaned down and given a coat of lacquer. This is from a 2.0 Turbo Diesel and is a 6 speed model. A good solid compact gearbox well suited to my modest 300-320hp SBF.

They are common as muck this side of the pond, this was less than £100 (less than 60k on the clock), £140 in total after the cleaning TLC.

Attachments

• IMG_3670.jpg
    IMG_3670.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 937
Gearbox looking good, although I am not sure I would trust it on that workmate, I have one of those and its decidedly not as stable as it should be...

NickD

Supporter
It really looks nice. 320 horse is not a lot is your engine stock?

Dave,

Is not too racy. It has a Performer type cam, Hydraulic Flat Tappet and Roller Rockers. The compression ration is probably around 8 or 8.5 to 1. It has an 8 Stack injection system on it so it looks more bling that it actually is.

I may in the future do more with it but it should be a good solid reliable and drive-able engine (I hope). Anything over 300HP would be a bonus but I'm more interested in a nice idle and a good drive up to about 5,500 RPM.

Attachments

• IMG_3449.jpg
    IMG_3449.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,063

Keith

It really looks nice. 320 horse is not a lot is your engine stock?

What is a 'stock' 302 on carbs? I don't think many production Mustangs had as much HP as that back in the day? (70s/80s). I believe 320 HP is quite adequate to begin with. Don't forget this is English HP, so in America, that would be around 700 :laugh:

Ian Anderson has somewhere South of 300hp in his Rover and he enjoys it.. :thumbsup:

Ni Nick,
great looking engine. Have you checked the clearance of the pullies you're using to the bulkhead, as they look very deep. In fact my first thought was where's the supercharger!!
Regards,
Andy

NickD

Supporter
Hi, I think I'm OK there.

The Water Pump is a standard one and you can see the petrusion of the centre shaft so that's no further forward than normal.

I'm sure I will need to ingress into the cabin for the water pump pulley to some degreee but that's not that unusual. For the Lower Crank Pulley, I think I have adequate clearance. Going to test fit in two weeks when I finalise my engine mounts etc.

Obviously I want everyting as far forward and as low as I can practically get it but the angle of the drive shafts to wheels will dictate everything.

I think the alternator will have to move slightly but that's manageable.

Hello Nick.
You are doing an amazing job on your build :thumbsup: what are you going to do about trans to SBF adaptor ? Pete.

NickD

Supporter
Hello Nick.
You are doing an amazing job on your build :thumbsup: what are you going to do about trans to SBF adaptor ? Pete.

Pete,

I took delivery of the new offering GT-Forte has (they have 2 offerings depending on power requirements which dictates which type of clutch). This includes Flywheel (50oz in my case), Ring Gear, Starter Motor, Adapter Plate, Spigot, Clutch etc. Bolts and the like. I've yet to use it to mate my gearbox/engine but I'm hoping by end of October give or take.

Mine being only a modest 300Hp, I have the lesser offering. Andrew S. (Rockhoppers1964) opted for the higher spec.

NickD

Supporter
Have made some small progress during the last few spare nights before the clocks go back an hour here and its already dark when I leave work for home.

Received the first of my body panels, just the spyder on show as I needed to support it a little better than in the lounge in front of the telly with chairs and cushions helping make sure it didn't sag where it sat for 3 weeks - Ok with the wife for a week more than I asked, then thoughts I'd move it pronto before I was sleeping in a different room.

Front paneling done, rear moving forward and all of a sudden I feel progress is being made !

Attachments

• IMG_3725.jpg
    IMG_3725.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,053
  • IMG_3726.jpg
    IMG_3726.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 979
  • IMG_3745.jpg
    IMG_3745.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 799
Back