OK, You guys fess up..I want to know...

Nr5!

Attachments

• 66448-PICT6044.JPG
    66448-PICT6044.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 402
Nr 8!

Hope you enjoyed some techical ideas from the world of engineering! The Koenigsegg dorrhinge has possibilitys to adjust the gears as an ring and pinjon to eliminate backlash or perhaps some other word. You have to excuse bad english but it is better than swedish.

Best reg!

Goran

Goran

Attachments

• 66451-PICT6047.JPG
    66451-PICT6047.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 362
Goran,
That is outstanding engineering. Those hinges are better than the others I was looking at. Do you think your hinges would fit a GT40 door? It does appear that they would with a little work.
...Just thinkin' out loud here guys.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hersh! The Solon dorr hinge would fit a 40 and I have all drawings and fixtures to build them so if you are interested that can be arrenged laiter on. The koenigsegg is much more complexed because the door starts moving upward soon as the door opens and it is extreamly important that the "ring and pinjon" is set with minimum backslash so the door closes in the latch when someone fast close the door. I must say that the doorhinge really works well and if you look at a Koenigsegg´s dorr and body when it is opening and closes the shape is corvatured to allow this. I also have the drawings and tooling to build them and if there is intrest we can produce some but it is a lot of work building them correct so they will be expensive.
Well Koenigsegg is a nice car but I do prefer big pushrods engines and I had an discussion with a guy i know comparing "modern" sportscars and nothing has happend in 40 years if you consider speed, weight and power. Just throw in a mild roller in a 540 in a homebuilt chassie and you will blow the doors of a Ferrari. Mr Shelby was right 40 years ago, Nothing Beat Cubic Inches. A big bonus for us guys that likes 40 is that the car is cheap to maintain and you dont need a 10.000USD service per year and it looks great. If you compare todays carbone fiber technic with sheet metal it is much easyer and everyone can do that in the basement just by reading on internet and fixing a vacumpump and off you go.

Goran

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hersh, you are naughty, see what you have started. I have eight barrel injection, adjustable lumber support, MP3 player, air conditioning, brake boost etc. I think if you can engineer it and it makes it a better car without taking away the unique persona of the GT40 go for it.
I will now dive into my slit trench and wait for the incoming from the traditionalists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
P.S. Some call it evolution.

The thought of these type of hinges crossed my mind briefly while watching Pimp My Ride episode where they did this sort of conversion.

Can't see where they wouldn't work as they hinge outward enough to clear door catch(even eyebrows), then up.

I would consider fitting them from a practical standpoint, but I think the job would be too complex & expensive for my situation.

I reckon it's only a matter of time before we see them fitted to a GT40 here in Aus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just a lateral thought, assuming that the sole aim here is the ability to more easily extract yourself from the car when space is limited. There is a simpler solution (and is probably less blasphemous).

It should be (relatively) inexpensive and easy to design a hinge system that sits between the top edge of the door frame and the door roof such that once the door is opened beyond the eyebrow the roof can be unlatched and tilted up. The occupant would then be able to exit the car by standing onto the seat and open door just enough for their legs to fit. You would effectively need less space to exit the car than would be necessary for an ordinary sedan.

If you were really adventurous, you could take this design one step further and incorporate a roof hinge system that allows the roof section to be detached from the main door, leaving the car with a targa roof type opening (for sunny days) that would not be dissimilar to the open top GT40.

[ QUOTE ]
Just a lateral thought...If you were really adventurous, you could take this design one step further and incorporate a roof hinge system that allows the roof section to be detached from the main door, leaving the car with a targa roof type opening (for sunny days) that would not be dissimilar to the open top GT40.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is yet another idea. The photo is of a Mercedes 300SL roadster with a custom "gull wing" hardtop. Instead of the doors opening gull-wing fashion as in the coupe, the hardtop has been fiddled to flip open to afford easier access to the cockpit.

Attachments

• 66653-300SL-2.jpg
    66653-300SL-2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 368
Rich and all others! The carproject is an owndesign that I will finish after the monocoque project is finished. The project has a 2 liter ital-turbo B204 GT/ FT that is boosted up 4 cylinder multilink rear axel and a M46 turbo gearbox with overdrive from Volvo except my own front spindels and A arms. The idea with this projects where to build a concept from scratch and it is rolling chassie. I post some pic of the project and I´m sorry to put it here since it has nothing to do with GT 40 but it is an interesting line. The body is just rough shaped and not finished at all. I have made the body with my Eckold and the english wheel and other machines. I have also built other aluminium bodies before ( Countach) but that we have to take someother time.

Best reg!

Goran

Attachments

• 66700-Bil1.JPG
    66700-Bil1.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 377
We will be doing one of the Giant GT,s with the lambo door. The Giants door is 53" long, That's Big and it will need to save space

Back