question about cockpit room of various kits.

I saw a gorgeous, very well sorted CAV Mk1 today.

I hadn't thought of it before on other GT40s (I only have driven one).
The driver's foot pedals encroach into the passenger leg room
area. Due to the front wheels, like many race cars.

Let's see if I can ask this without sounding ridiculous
What Mk1 Kit specifically, has more passenger leg room, or cockpit room in general.
Silly question, I literally couldn't help from smiling as I type this. A race car passenger
leg room. Ha. but anyways legitimate for my fiance who wants to go for a ride now and
then... She pointed out how I failed to consider her comfort. :0) which is usually a high
priority for most men buying street legal race cars.

Last edited:
I've driven SPF, RCR and CAV and the CAV seems to have the most room.this was important factor for me as well. I order my CAV a month ago and should get it in a few months
Alan

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Not to argue but I know that the RCR has the largest footbox of any gt40 replica...I have had all the brands at my shop at one time or another and have compared all of them in many respects.
I have shown the picture more than once of a 7 foot tall gentleman sitting in an RCR ...

Also discussed here... http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/27623-too-tall.html

Attachments

• SEVEN%20FEET.jpg
    SEVEN%20FEET.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 452
  • 7%2520footer.JPG
    7%2520footer.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I believe Dax is by far the largest. But thet are rarer than rocking horse sh1t with only 32 being built.

6ft3 for me and brother in law same height did Le Mans classic 2 years back. Mike is about an inch scorter than me. Both of us North of 18 stone

Iah

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
None of these cars are what you'd call spacious. Originals probably the worst, RCRs probably the best. Still, for most folks, by the time you can afford one, you can't fit into it. Ask me how I know.

More than the room, a problem is climbing in and out of it....

SPF has plenty of footroom (length) but passenger seat width is tight. The passenger seat is 3 " less width than the drivers. Wish SPF had made the seats equal. My wife won't ride long distances and I don't need the extra width. I know you'll say let my wife drive or get another passenger!

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Fran

Not to argue but are you sure you have had all brands and chassis types in your shop?

Thanks

Andy

PS You forgot to put a seat in the car on the picture.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
SPF has plenty of footroom (length) but passenger seat width is tight. The passenger seat is 3 " less width than the drivers. Wish SPF had made the seats equal. My wife won't ride long distances and I don't need the extra width. I know you'll say let my wife drive or get another passenger!

The LHD SPF has a drivers seat 3" wider than the passengers seat. The RHD cars have both seats same as the pasengers side so both are narrow as original. When SPF did the LHD chsssis they offset the tunnel to the right to allow a larger LHD drivers seat. The LHD cars do not have the sill shifter to take up room so they could do that. The RHD cars have the tunnel offset to the left as FAV cars did to allow space for the sill shifter and rod, therefor both seats are the "narrow" configuration.

None of these cars are what you'd call spacious. Originals probably the worst,

i beg to differ :cheesy:

i can only go by P1003 and MK3-1103. 1003 has a pedal box that can be unbolted and moved into a different position. there is plenty of leg room for me and i'm 6ft2. in the passanger side I have to slide down out of the seat to be able to get my feet to the very end. don't forget the coolant pipes also run down the centre effectivly splitting the footwell into two.

in 1103 the pedal box is fixed in one position but it is the seats that are the problem. they are very bulky and slide on runners. with the seat out i can barely touch the pedals. thinner seat would be the answer for me. there are no coolant pipes running down the centre so loads more footwell room.

i been passanger in a GTD and the footwell was tiny compared to the real thing.

and going on a tangent i found the real Cobras also have more room than you would think. the 427 i played with i couldn't have the seat right back as i couldn't reach the pedals. again the kit i drove felt a lot more cramped.

Loads of room in a Southern GT. I'm six foot and can put the pedals that far forward I can't touch them. Loads of room for the passenger as well and no touching shoulders. Don't know how he did it but well done Mick.
ps While I'm on Merry Christmas everyone.

I have an SGT and there's so much room in the car that I'm having a party in it this weekend and I have invited over 30 people so if anyone else wants to come along your welcome ,,, there's lots of room.
" Bring a bottle "

Sorry no animals, but dogs for the blind welcome

Merry Christmas to you all

Hi Ed (or Edward, whichever you prefer),

Out of curiosity, was the CAV you rode in a spaceframe or mono? Was it RHD or LHD? The CAV monos have a central tunnel that extends to the front of the cockpit, so I am having trouble picturing how the pedals could encroach into the passenger footwell. However, if it is a spaceframe, then it is essentially a GTD chassis, and if LHD, I could see that the passenger footwell is cramped.

Ian

Your passengers just need to have smaller feet......size 7 high heels fit just fine.....

Attachments

• GT40 Interior.jpg
    GT40 Interior.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 1,217
Hi Ed,

What I have found out is that it is not allways the size of the cockpit room that determines how well you fit into the cabin. It is also very much about the position of your body and the different angles of it. I gained 4cm in height by just modifying my back rest to be thinner. That changed the angle of my body with the result above. I was very surprised. So an advice from me is to try with different chairs or if you make your own - start with your body and a comfortable position and then make the chair.

Br
Henrik

Back