RCR 917 motor options

If your going to connect any of them back to back ( flywheel to flywheel ) & take the drive out of the center, one of the motors is going to require a rethink with regard to the chain/belt tensioners & valve train as its going to have to run backwards, the crankpin oil timing might also need to be changed along with piston offset etc.
Looked into coupling two pushrod 1.8L Subarus in this fashion many years ago with a view to kitplane use. Subaru is a relatively simple exercise in that the two block assys can be fitted to a single alloy plate at the sump face with a spacer of the reqd thickness between the two blocks to mount the gears/belts/whatever between, In this case the prop shaft would have been above the fwd crankcase. Nose to tail mounting would be a different deal, your asking the single front keyway & crank of the rear engine to do work it was never intended to do..

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Were some of the 70's and early 80's bikes six cylinder in line jobs?

I also believe they ran the timing chains in the center of the camshaft (lengthwise).

Now how about getting 2 of those and machine the 2 sets of conrods to run off a single crank.

You get
1) Hi Revs
2) Air cooled
3) Very light
4) potential to drive the fan from the timing gear takeoff.

Or possibly too much engineering involved - but I know they made 2 litre v8 out of Yamaha engines and they are quite successful
Cyclone Y40R 2.0 liter V8

And they have also made a 16 Cylinder already]
Callaway Cyclone V16
x

Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I can only think of three aircooled sixes - the Honda CBX1000 and the Benelli 750 and 900's

The Honda is the best candidate I suppose as it's DOHC

Got one parked in my shop - but it won't go cheap! :)

Very cool sounding bike with a fair bit of power (105HP)

IMG_2041.jpg

Here's a Sales Brochure pic of a 79

cbx_engine_view.jpg

Back