RCR's Next car should be.....

Something a little different.
Ivan "IronMan" Stewart's dominating stadium racetruck.

1.jpg

4.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Dave - While a very interesting proposal, I think that the truck would be more of a paradigm shift for RCR than it would be for MayTag.. :)

Dave - While a very interesting proposal, I think that the truck would be more of a paradigm shift for RCR than it would be for MayTag.. :)
Possibly, however, it is just another frame with suspension, fiberglass, and an engine bolted to it. I'm sure Fran has at least a basic ;) understanding of suspension geometry and this still is just suspension, albeit with a wee bit more travel and different requirements than a prototype car. I'm sure Fran could easily adapt his methodology.

Funny thing is, to me, it seems to be one of the more realistic proposals as of late in this thread. I know I and no shortage of peeps in the Southwest would love to have an "affordable" street legal trophy truck, even if it was only used to tow our prototypes arounds ;) I can't imagine, though I am not sure, there is any competition in that market either, hence making it at attractive on both fronts from a business perspective.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Dave,
THB I have actually looked at something very similar to what you are talking about...and not too long ago either...
Making a look alike is one thing but building something thats tough enough for actual serious off road gets very pricey very quickly...

I do have a complete set of Pantera body moulds along with the GP5 flares, rear wing and front spoiler ...nobody has mentioned building one of those as an RCR from memory...

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Who'd want a 962...wink... but on a Mercedes note...the short tail 962 almost looks like a Sauber C9 or 11. Gee maybe I could put that 36V V12 to good use on a second RCR car huh? LOL.

Dave,
I do have a complete set of Pantera body moulds along with the GP5 flares, rear wing and front spoiler ...nobody has mentioned building one of those as an RCR from memory...

Okay Now someone is mentioning it. I love the Pantera body as do a lot of folks. Now put that body on the RCR guts would be something I would certianly be interested in. How can one go wrong with the Italian body/Detroit lump formula. No need for an expensive exotic drivetrain as it was always ment to be. Heck it sounds like you are already half way there (Well almost)

Dave,
THB I have actually looked at something very similar to what you are talking about...and not too long ago either...
Making a look alike is one thing but building something thats tough enough for actual serious off road gets very pricey very quickly...

Ahem...reference post #1078 from your's truly...

Fran...I would love to see a nicely done Pantera GT5 replica. Play with the layout a tad so that the Italian driving "position" goes away (arms straight out, legs splayed)...I'll drop the new 5.0 BOSS engine in and back it up with a Ricardo :thumbsup:

BTW...what ever happened with the suspension upgrade you were teasing about on the GTM forum? Some billet goodness for the Vette community would be a hot commodity...

An all aluminum chassis with improved ergos would make for an AWESOME Pantera...either Vette pieces for suspension or SLC pieces...LS engines and or Modular V8s for the Ford crowd.

I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat :D

How about the Alfa 4C GTA?

1-AR_4CConcept-545.jpg

2-AR_4CConcept_02.jpg

Hi guys, hi fran,
Would there be any interest in the 4c? I know this car better than anyone as I did the design on this car! I already proposed the 33 stradale as I Think it is the most beautiful car on the earth! Even more if you see it in real and sit in it! Fran, PM me if interested...

I don't think that I would like my feet sticking out past the front wheels.
Brian Redman didn't like it either..

quite honestly, feet sticking out past the front wheels are the least of your problems in the bergspyder. That car probably had the flimsiest frame of any racecar ive ever seen in person. The whole car looked like a toy. A very, very dangerous and exciting toy. The gas tank was brilliant though: Bladder in a pressurized titanium sphere. No fuel pump.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Seems to me that the Porsche 917K also had the driver's feet right out there - although not in front of the tires - they were for many of the taller drivers in front of the axle centerline.. Also - the tube chassis of these cars were not very crashworthy...

Attachments

• 917blueprint2.jpg
    917blueprint2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 657

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Thats one of the reasons I went the mono hybrid route on RCR917 as opposed to the original tubular style chassis.....safer by far...IMHO.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fran - I agree that your chassis is, by far, more worthy in the event of a mishap. One of the reasons I chose RCR.

The welding on the 917K was not nearly the work of art your guys perform. Shows how much things have progressed over the years.

Here are some pics of 917 chassis #004 as it was being restored by Kundensport.

Attachments

• 917+chassis+004_+0091261876436.jpg
    917+chassis+004_+0091261876436.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 447
  • 917+chassis+004_+0111261876624.jpg
    917+chassis+004_+0111261876624.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 348
  • 917+chassis+004_+0131261876744.jpg
    917+chassis+004_+0131261876744.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 380
  • 917+chassis+004_+0151261876835.jpg
    917+chassis+004_+0151261876835.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 429
Fran - I agree that your chassis is, by far, more worthy in the event of a mishap. One of the reasons I chose RCR.

The welding on the 917K was not nearly the work of art your guys perform. Shows how much things have progressed over the years.

Here are some pics of 917 chassis #004 as it was being restored by Kundensport.

Werent the originals pressurized magnesium framed? gives a bit of defense of those welds. Gotta be much more thorough, and mag doesnt weld nearly as nicely. Horrifyingly dangerous though.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
There were very few mag. chassis cars...and they were discontinued quite quickly for obvious reasons...most 917 had an aluminum chassis...

I think the next car Fran makes needs to be front engine and of RCR's own design. It would really simplify the whole transaxle situation. It would be neat to see something on the lines of the old Panoz GT-1. Plus, RCR doesn't have a front engine car!

Now that there is a continuation car for the Reventlow front engine Scarab, I've been told that there is no intention to follow that up with the mid engine version. Years ago Motor Trend had an article that featured the sole mid engine Scarab, now owned by Augie Pabst, having been converted to street use. That always intrigued me. I understand its main use now is for vintage racing. I was fascinated with the idea of an early style Can Am car for the streets. I'd like to see someone, if not Fran, produce a mid engine Scarab. I tried to see if someone had already added this car to the thread, but could only find mention of the front engine car being made with aluminum.

Back