Right Hand Drive (RHD) in USA - Comments

I'm hoping that you owners out there with RHD cars will respond.

On rural twisty roads, how often do you wish you had LHD?

Are you disappointed that you have a RHD car?

I've been driving RHD cars in the States for years. Vintage Rolls Royce and Bentley that I've owned and restore with no problems. Yes paying a toll on the interstates can be a pain, that's why I have Eazy-pass. You wouldn't be able to pass thru the window or open the door on a 40 to pay a toll any way.
Your less than two feet to the right any way. I think if you want a 40 build it the way they were. LHD seems to be cheating to me.
Bill

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I'd agree with Bill, for a GT40 to be anywhere close to authentic it would have to be RHD.... my next one will be. Although I found out CAV does not offer a right hand shift option :sad:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
I'm hoping that you owners out there with RHD cars will respond.

On rural twisty roads, how often do you wish you had LHD?

Are you disappointed that you have a RHD car?

I know Scott is not disappointed his Tornado is RHD/RHS.

To him anything else would be heresy.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 718

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think RHD/RHS is not a problem; I think if I had to shift with my left hand, I'd be in trouble. And so would all the people around me.

When I ordered my chassis from David Brown years ago, I did ask if there was a left hand drive option. No, there isn't, he said, and if there is a telephone equivalent of an icy glare, I got one. I've come around to his way of thinking on it; these cars were RHD/RHS to begin with, and if possible they ought to be built that way. And it does make for a better shift linkage, at least with a ZF transaxle it does.

I've never regretted mine. Thousands of miles under my belt. Highway, rural, city the whole gambit.

John

I drove an SPF demo with LHD, didn't like it, and ordered mine with RHD/RHS.
My SPF has the RH rod shift, and its so precise I'm sure you could speed shift it if you wanted(I don't).
I've never had a problem driving my RHD car anywhere, and I can't imagine owning a GT40 without RHD/RHS.

Jack

John (hoota), Kudos for doing your homework mate. You're really asking a lot of good questions of this forum before taking the plunge. I have a LHD car and while its not "period correct" I thought of a couple of factors before going with a LHD. 1) Its dangerous enough on the roads so why risk it further. 2) re-sale value. While I might love the RHD version many others in the country will not (or certainly not that many I wouldn't think) 3) I can shift with either hand (I grew up in England driving a 67 mini cooper s) but many others will not feel comfortable with that. 4) The decision comes down to you. If you want a 40 just like an original you've got to go RHD....if you look at other factors including the fact its not going to be an "original" then go with what you like. Continued good luck in your quest.

I've had a beetle , and an old postal jeep , both rhd , and the only thing I didn't like was passing on two lane roads .
You have to stick so much of the car into the on-coming traffic to see around the one your passing . can get dicey .
May not be a problem so much with a 40 as you sit so close to the center of the car .
I'll try one out as soon as I can and let you know .

Can I borrow some ones GT40 please ?
Purely scientific ... I promise !!!

FWIW, I drove a LHD '66 Shelby GT350 Mustang (clone) in England for a couple of years; driving a LHD car in a RHD world offer similar challenges to RHD car in a LHD world.

It really wasn't a problem. The only concern that people seem to raise is the difficulty in seeing around a car to pass. This just illustrates poor technique--you don't want to (or need to) tailgate the car you want to pass. My UK driving technique was to hang back a fair distance, which allowed me to see considerably past the offending slowpoke. In anticipation of an opening, I'd then stand on the gas, build up a head of steam, and as the last opposing car went past I'd pull out and blast past the slowpoke, with a fairly good rate of knots.

Effective, and spectacularly fun! :thumbsup:

I'm years away from my GT40, but when it happens, for sure it will be RHD, right-hand rod shift...

The passing technique you describe, Mike, is exactly right and totally a kick. You want to be in the left lane for as short a time as possible and the best way to accomplish that goal is to have up a head of steam as you pass. Then it's a matter of timing.

That technique is perfect for the open road but the problem arises when the passing area is short and the sight lines limited. If you know the road, you can hang back, anticipate the upcoming passing area, then time the approach to the slower car figuring no one will be coming in the opposite direction. However, you still have to stick the nose over the line and peek to ensure the coast is clear before committing to the pass.

Then there's the issue of the idiots who won't pull over on the really nice highway here that has no center line and really, really short passing areas. You have no idea if they ever look in their mirror and without the center line, they tend to drift to the left. The technique I use with them is to stick a good portion of my car to their left side so that I can see the driver in his side view mirror. It helps to fake a couple of passes to get his attention and give him an idea of my intentions.

I'm thinking that with a RHD car on that road, when I caught up with aforementioned idiot, I'd probably have to pull over for a time, let him get far ahead, catch him again, drop back . . .

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If you are worried about "seeing past" the guy in front you could also make up a "periscope" box with 2 mirrors - lay it on it's side on the dash board and it would look out the "left" side of your screen.

I've driven my RHD RHS GT40 in France twice (They drive the same side as USA) and never had a problem - other than being boxed in by people with camera phones taking pictures - but that too soon passes.

Ian

Flashing your headlights will make them aware that you wish to pass. Works for me!
They will usually yield.

I worked at a large British Motor Cars dealership for about 17 years total. I drove many models of Jags, Astons, MGs, Triumphs, Rolls, Bentlys, etc. Clocked close to 50k miles in RHD cars alone. You get use to the center shift in just a few miles of city driving. I found the only concession with my CAV GT40 RHD RHS is pulling up to a right hand corner you must square it off to see around the roof piller at the on coming traffic approaching at your left. Passing is no issue, just use care. Left hand drive GT40's just look "odd". regards, Rich

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
just my $.02 worth - The RHD cars were developed for use in Left hand road travels...

Do you suppose it might have been the other way around if most of Europe decided to have right hand roads?

These cars have marginal rearward visibility, they are very low and hard to even see when traveling along side of one with an SUV..

Mine's a LHD for the above stated reasons. If I wanted to be "perfectly" correct - I'd have spent a lot more money on building mine than I have already.

Do I feel bad about LHD? Nope - and I don't plan on trying to convince anyone / or give the illusion that it's an original either..

One has to "draft" to sling shot a mail jeep , or even a beetle around a poker on a short passing zone .

I couldn't wind enough rubber bands to keep up with a GT350 in a mild V Dub .

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...These cars have marginal rearward visibility, they are very low and hard to even see when traveling along side of one with an SUV..

Mine's a LHD for the above stated reasons. If I wanted to be "perfectly" correct - I'd have spent a lot more money on building mine than I have already.

Do I feel bad about LHD? Nope - and I don't plan on trying to convince anyone / or give the illusion that it's an original either..

X2. My primary objective is to have fun while driving in the US. Sitting on the "wrong" side would induce enough stress as to not be fun at all. Having said that, I'm still doing what I can to recreate the look and experience (eg getting just the right HT wire looms). So I'm somewhere in between Randy and the RHD crowd. This whole enterprise (GT40s on the street) is inherently irrational anyway, so I'm just presenting my set of choices and that's not worth any where near two cents. But I think the LHD contingent needs to speak up, unless there are only two of us.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Been 3 yrs now with P2125 and over 5,000 miles of mainly 200 to 300 mile trips on Mass and Ct highways.

Wasn't sure going in but, I am convinced I'm better off with LHD (not only from a driving standpoint but my getting in and out not getting hung up on the shift as well as better for my wife to be at the curb).

Like Alan I'm anal about wanting some things as close to "in the day" but, the LHD doesn't bother me nor have I ever had anyone say "why isn't it RHD".

FWIW that's my view (pardon the pun) but bottom line is you should drive both and decide for yourself.

Steve P2125 MK11 with 427FE but, Shelby aluminum (see another compromise) but, with rod shift not cable. It's all in what is important to you!

Part of the lure of RHD is the better make believe, compared with LHD, of leading the pack at Le Mans, the theme song from "Grand Prix" clicking off the tongue.

Back