Roush engine failure...

It doesn't appear to me that we know what has failed.
A steel distributor gear running on a billit cam is not going to fail in the time it takes to pump oil to it.
I always fill cooler and filters but even so I think you would damage bearings before the dist/cam gears would go, unless it had an iron dist gear running against the billit cam,
that could fail very quickly.
IMHO
Dave

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
the bearing issue depends once again on the quality specified , bearings are graded in terms of precision ( C1-C4) if you want a good bearing pay the price and you will get it.
problem is most people chase price not quality.
some of the component factories in China include , bosch, makita, kubota, dresser, honda, suzuki, ZF, allison, thermo king, cummins ,dana,michelin, a raft of electronic manufacturers, and the list goes on.
Over the years I have seen these factories "spring up" out of nowhere

as Russ states it really does not matter where it comes from if the quality is right

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
the bearing issue depends once again on the quality specified , bearings are graded in terms of precision ( C1-C4) if you want a good bearing pay the price and you will get it.
some of the component factories in China include , bosch, makita, kubota, dresser, honda, suzuki, ZF, allison, thermo king, cummins ,dana,michelin, a raft of electronic manufacturers, and the list goes on.

as Russ states it really does not matter where it comes from if the quality is right

Right, checked back thru Daves posts. Motor is 427R, with following mods: 950HP Carb,Solid Roller Cam & Lifters, Jesel Shaft Rockers,Hi-Vo timing set.
Installer was :Voss Performance, Fullerton Ca.
Pic attached of engine tag I mentioned earlier.( Actually the tag for motor in question)
Gotta say I am slightly amused by the anti-foreign comments on this thread for a car largely built in South Africa with a ZF trans & in this case a car owned by a Textile Importer. ( Are American Textiles not good enough!!:) ) You would all probably need ten cups of coffee to calm down if you did a part by part search for country of origin.

Hi Jac, I would buy textiles in the US... but all the factories have closed down!! :laugh: Plus, just like every other industry you have to match up to your competitors... We have to sell to stores that are buying high volume for stores like Target , JC Penny , & Wallmart.... Then you got Forever 21 stores selling girls tops for dirt cheap... I think it should be different when it comes to engines and high performance parts... If you have a customer base willing to pay what we pay for a Roush motor... then I would think they would put the absolute best parts in it... not just pretty valve covers... BTW... china made textiles also have tons of problems... we buy mostly from Korea...

Trevor, I would disagree that it doesn't matter where it comes from if the quality is right in relation to coded bearings. Why? Because you can bet that some Chinese bearing manufacturers will stamp their bearings with deceptive markings if it will let them charge a higher price - have seen this extensively with graded bolts. I've purchased Chinese graded and stamped "12.9" metric bolts which were the cheesiest things going. These were purchased through legit US distributors like McMaster. McMaster was obviously deceived by the manufacturer/wholesaler as to the real grade of the bolt. How does this happen? Some shop owner/manager in China tells the floor staff to stamp "12.9" on the bolt head of a grade 8 (or less) and then sells those to a roving US wholesale purchaser. Total BS.

Hi Jac, I would buy textiles in the US... but all the factories have closed down!! :laugh: Plus, just like every other industry you have to match up to your competitors... We have to sell to stores that are buying high volume for stores like Target , JC Penny , & Wallmart.... Then you got Forever 21 stores selling girls tops for dirt cheap... I think it should be different when it comes to engines and high performance parts... If you have a customer base willing to pay what we pay for a Roush motor... then I would think they would put the absolute best parts in it... not just pretty valve covers... BTW... china made textiles also have tons of problems... we buy mostly from Korea...

Good to see you back Dave, probably been away on some R&R to help with your dissapointment?:).
Now that we have your attention, can you confirm that we have been discussing the right parts; eg the distributor gear/cam gear premature wear problem?

PS. While some might think I take the ---- out of the USA in particular, its not really the case as this sort of sourcing of product worldwide is common to most countries. Recently in NZ we had a minor outcry when it was bought to public attention about indoor pig farms etc & the general public were just a lttle disturbed ( particularly the townies who have this image of everything green & beautiful--- bloody funny at moment with 3" of mud everywhere since a couple of weeks nonstop rain ) at the way these animals were treated & crossing that thought over to the bacon & eggs they had for breakfast. Further to that it came out that a large percentage of our pork etc was still sourced from overseas & those (overseas) animals were raised in far worse conditions than ours. Egg on faces all round, suitably hyped by the media of course.

Last edited:

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Cliff you are quite correct when it comes to unscrupulous manufacturers. What I mean by quality is the whole scene from raw material to finished product and having an audit trail.
Quality control audits is one of the things I do and no different to an audit that ford or gm would do on their suppliers
Bolts- man are you so right about them, the wholesaler probably purchased them at the Guangzhou Fair exhibition and did not do due diligence into the scene behind the bolt.
about 4000 such "manufacturers" have closed down in the last 8 months

As for the gloal factory , this is unfortunatly very true, as for international trade laws there easy to overcome , hell japan had a suburb of {i think from memory} Nagasaki called USA back in the sixties. so being labeled made in USA wasnt an infrigment of any kind, where as if it was labled made in U.S.A it would have been. all it took was the missing full stops, very clever marketing ploy, and they got away with it for decades.
Or if you want a real tear jerker , pull a Harley down and check the source of some major componants, certainly not the good old U.S.A i'll give you the tip.
cheers John

Good to see you back Dave, probably been away on some R&R to help with your dissapointment?:).
Now that we have your attention, can you confirm that we have been discussing the right parts; eg the distributor gear/cam gear premature wear problem?

PS. While some might think I take the ---- out of the USA in particular, its not really the case as this sort of sourcing of product worldwide is common to most countries. Recently in NZ we had a minor outcry when it was bought to public attention about indoor pig farms etc & the general public were just a lttle disturbed ( particularly the townies who have this image of everything green & beautiful--- bloody funny at moment with 3" of mud everywhere since a couple of weeks nonstop rain ) at the way these animals were treated & crossing that thought over to the bacon & eggs they had for breakfast. Further to that it came out that a large percentage of our pork etc was still sourced from overseas & those (overseas) animals were raised in far worse conditions than ours. Egg on faces all round, suitably hyped by the media of course.

Hey Jac, I am pretty disappointed... but i get very little R&R with a two year old and a new born thats 2 weeks old... A for your question, yes the attachment you posted is accurate... right under the distributer... That would be a cam gear wear problem...Hope to get some better answers soon as we have to ship the engine back to roush... will keep you posted.

Back