Why wouldn't it work with a wifi camera? It only needs wifi, which it has. I suspect that there may have been a mis-communication.

It's more likely that it doesn't support host mode, which would be required, among other things, to support a wired camera.

But let us know if you can make a wired cam work with a splitter. Do you intend to get power to both the camera and the tablet at the same time? That has traditionally been the issue.

I checked it out on youtube and seen a guy do it with a video grabber plug it to a tablet so I will look into the option too.

Bill have a look at these
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68GIo3CJupU]Connecting USB Camera to Android (No Rooting) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-gLrqUHATQ]Nexus 7 Backup Camera - UVC Video grabber - YouTube[/ame]
Cheers,
Grant

If your tablet doesn't have second USB port, but only a charging port, you can likely hook up the camera via a "USB OTG" cable.

OTG stands for "on the go" and it essentially fakes out the presence of a computer on a network of USB devices. USB always requires a single master on a bus and tablets are usually designed to operate as a slave on the bus with a computer to connect to as the master. The USB cameras also want to be a slave, so when you connect them directly to a tablet and they're both slaves, it doesn't work. With the OTG cable, it converts the tablet into a master and everything works.

I have the Logitech camera and Samsung Galaxy Tab III 8.0 working great together once the cable is in place. It's a <$5 part on eBay and some computer stores may carry it (BestBuy does not). In my case, it was a "Micro USB OTG" cable, since my tablet has micro USB. This is likely the most common setup.

Tim

If your tablet doesn't have second USB port, but only a charging port, you can likely hook up the camera via a "USB OTG" cable.

OTG stands for "on the go" and it essentially fakes out the presence of a computer on a network of USB devices. USB always requires a single master on a bus and tablets are usually designed to operate as a slave on the bus with a computer to connect to as the master. The USB cameras also want to be a slave, so when you connect them directly to a tablet and they're both slaves, it doesn't work. With the OTG cable, it converts the tablet into a master and everything works.

I have the Logitech camera and Samsung Galaxy Tab III 8.0 working great together once the cable is in place. It's a <$5 part on eBay and some computer stores may carry it (BestBuy does not). In my case, it was a "Micro USB OTG" cable, since my tablet has micro USB. This is likely the most common setup.

Tim

Tim can a splitter be used to hard wire power to it so you don't have to run the tablet on batteries?

Yes, just get a USB 2.0 (no need for 3.0) hub and plug everything into that. A good 4 or 7-port one is like $20. You can then just feed 5V power into the USB hub and the tablet will charge off that.

I have this wired and running on my desk with an AC adapter into the USB hub.

Tim

Grant,

I've been using the USB Webcam Android app featured in the first Youtube video in your post. Its key advantage is that it will allow you to view a 1080p camera image.

The video grabber adapter in the second Youtube clip is limited to 480p.

Bill I see you can get a RCA to USB adapter so now I am thinking a person can use any camera they want without having to modify it it much.

Yes, However:
  • The NTSC/PAL to USB adapter is limited to 480p
  • I think you still need an app on your tablet to view the image.

Bill have you seen a shark fin with a camera built in I have looked everywhere and haven't yet been so lucky.

Attachments

• shark fin.jpg
    shark fin.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 223
  • nigtht vision camera.JPG
    nigtht vision camera.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 212
I have seen shark fins and cameras, but not as a single assembly.

I know of at least one other SLC builder who found an inexpensive BMW shark fin on ebay and was planning on mounting a camera in it.

I got one with a right angle attachment like this: Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S2 s II i9100 S3 III | eBay
I think the one you picked will work fine too. Usually they have only the female standard USB connector, but that one looks like it has a second male standard USB as well (besides the micro USB connector that it connects to).

Tim

I took the “guts” out of a BMW 5 series shark fin roof antenna and mounted a camera, powered FM antenna, satellite radio antenna and a navigation antenna inside.

Measure the ground -to-camera height on a few production cars and then check out where that ends up on an SL-C when placed at the same height. I was quite surprised and this is why I decided to find a way to mount a camera on the roof.

I got one with a right angle attachment like this: Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S2 s II i9100 S3 III | eBay
I think the one you picked will work fine too. Usually they have only the female standard USB connector, but that one looks like it has a second male standard USB as well (besides the micro USB connector that it connects to).

Tim

I just bought this one it had an extra USB

Micro USB Host Dual OTG Hub Cable Power for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8 0 10 1 | eBay

as for the camera I wonder if the night vision IR would be useless as most only work out to 8 m ?

While I have my dash out, I'm cleaning up the under-dash wiring. One key area is the ignition. I'm using a 1997 Miata ignition switch that is matched to the door lock tumblers, so a single key fits all.

The ISIS system will only understands a ground signal, so I wired the ignition as a ground seeking circuit. The ground seeking ignition circuit worked fine, but it is an odd way to do it.

Later I discovered a tiny ISIS inVert circuit board hidden in the HVAC wire harness. The inVert circuit board converts a 12v signal to a ground signal. I'm using a different HVAC unit that doesn't need the inVert circuit board, so I used it to rewire the ignition circuit in a more conventional way.

You can buy the inVert circuit board on the ISIS website for $28.

Attachments

• IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3450.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Ignition wiring.jpg
    Ignition wiring.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I'm working on all those little things needed to prepare for upholstery. Today I fabricated a false raised floor on the passenger side. This is to make the entire floor flat, so carpet is easy to lay.

The recess in the floor is about 1 1/8" deep, so I used 1" x 1" aluminum square tubing as a spacer and then laid 1/8" aluminum sheet on top of that. The seat is positioned so the butt end is lower than the flat floor, so a butt hole needs to be cut to accommodate...Hmmm, can I say that on this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_3787.JPG
    IMG_3787.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 358
Bill,
I did as much with my 40 for almost the same reason. I have the wash board floor. Mine differs in that I stopped the raised section must under the front portion of the seat.

P1010039.jpg

This allowed the seat to sit that one inch lower. It also gave me a place to hide the heavy battery cable along with some wiring harnesses, hydraulic lines, and throttle cable.
I may take you up on that offer you made after the first of the year. Will contact you later on. It has been a very expensive year for our household.

Bill

As I look at my pedal assembly, I see spaghetti of hoses and brake lines. So I built a panel to hide all that. It's clamped in place between the master cylinder mounting flanges and the pedal assy.

In addition, I built a dead pedal to hide the suspension pick-up mount.

Attachments

• Pedal cover.jpg
    Pedal cover.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 537
Back