Should NATO continue to be involved in Afghanistan?

Should NATO and the US continue to be involved in Afghanistan?

• Yes.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • No.

Votes: 36 50.7%

• Total voters
I've been thinkng about this question for a couple of days now, and I realise that I can't vote.

This is not a yes or no, black or white question.

In summation,

YES - We SHOULD still be there IF we have the full support of our respective governments. By this I mean (in the case of the UK) full and proper equipment able to fully support the troops in theatre, which is NOT the case at the present. We are losing too many of our troops due to poor decisions based on cost cutting and beaurocracy. Gordon Brown needs to realise that the military cost cutting decisions he made some years ago are now coming home to his roost. Also, FINALLY we seem to have the general public squarely behind our troops, and this is hugely important to them. I imagine and hope (as I have never been in the forces) that it gives them a sense of pride that they do their job for us as well as for each other.

and,

NO - If we cannot do the above.

We as a small but proud nation have lost so many troops to this "war", "Insurgency"... "war on Terror" - now there's a war that you can NEVER win. Maybe It's cynical, but did G.Dubbya come up with that phrase all by himself. The never ending war with no mandate, endpoint or possible conclusion...

So for that reason I don't feel that I can vote on this issue.

All the best,

Graham.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ditto, Gravy good post. Our troops are suffering from the same B.S. you cannot fight a war with rules of engagement that if you give the enemy a fat lip you get a Courts Martial (see my SEALS post) And you cannot win without proper equipment and supply.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
you cannot fight a war with rules of engagement that if you give the enemy a fat lip you get a Courts Martial (see my SEALS post) And you cannot win without proper equipment and supply.

Unfortunately, I don't see the world-wide support for this endeavor, and it will take a WORLD-wide effort, not just NATO, to rid the world of Al Qaeda.

NATO might be able to function as an organizational committee, but until the world sees this as a whole-world problem and the powers that be enter it with the intent and purpose of eliminating Al Qaeda, i.e. through a formal declaration of war against those countries who provide safe harbor for Al Qaeda, we're just pissin' in the wind :furious: .

Unfortunately, one of the countries that seems to provide safe-harbor for Al Qaeda through it's policy of ignoring the more remote areas of it's territory has nuclear weapons.....Pakistan. If we could just declare formal war on Al Qaeda and take them out, that would be great, but a formal declaration of war involves action against a sovereign country or countries, not just a loosely organized bunch of looney-tunes! We'd have to declare war against Pakistan, that could get very unpleasant!!

So, and this is definitely IMHO, where does this leave us? Unfortunately, I feel we ought to withdraw our troops, bring them home, and dedicate the manpower to protecting the United States.....become a protectionist society.....and let the rag-head loonies have at it with each other. We might suffer an occasional small scale attack, but with each of those we'd get better at predicting the inevitable and therefore the damages would be diminished. In the end the total death toll might well be less than we're going to face at the hands of the loonies in their own back yard :uneasy: .

At some point, perhaps, maybe the rest of the world will cease their reliance on NATO members and take their citizens' safety into their own hands. Now, that's a unique idea, eh?

We'll see.....but I'm not holding my breath!!

Doug

As long as North and South Waziristan (they are in Pakistan ot Afghanistan) are not NUKED, what's the point?

The above two locations are kind of like Miami,,, armpit of their respective countries. The enemy of US of A resides in Pakistan and will always be supported by Pakistani Intelligence services.

The Russians got their butt kicked because of Pakistan’s Safe heavens/armpits not because of Afghanistan.

Praise Allah, and all plastic/fake GT40s

As for the poppy fields,,,,leave those alone "WE" in US love drugs VERY MUCH can not live or function without them!!!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome back Mr. Faili, I have missed you.:thumbsup:

A big +1 on that, Pete!

I've been wondering if our "Axis of Evil" friend was still around and if so, why he hadn't chimed in.

Welcome back, Faili!

Now, for a genuine question, what are the chances Pakistan will nuke them (or, let one of the NATO powers do so)????

Doug

Praise upon my Jihadi Australian, Canadian and gringo brothers.

I was let out early from Guantanamo, thanks to my spiritual leader Imam Barak Obama.

I now reside mostly in Mexico; my Jihadi features blend in quite "naturally" among the Mexican population.

Douglas,
Pakistan will never nuke them. They will "pretend" (for keeping US administrations off their backs), to go After the Wahabi Taliban DOGS only so far!!!! After all, they will ALWAYS need this dog to terrorize the Indians and any government in Afghanistan that is "pro Indian".

Back