Show me your fuel pumps please! - Carb fed engines

Hi Julian

Did you solve your pump / flow / fuelling issue?

Some people recommended the Carter pumps; the P4070 is specified at 50gph, which sounds enough for your engine - if not, there's a 72gph version

180-p4070.jpg

The Facet Dura Lift series sounds promising, being able to be mounted up to 60in above tank height and still prime, but only appear rated up to 33gph which might be marginal WOT.

If thats 30Gph free flow, that means not marginal but deffo not enough. Thats just about enough for a single barrel FoMoCo on a 950cc engine...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rotary vane pumps make poor lift pumps and typically need to be mounted on the same horizontal plane as the fuel tank if they are to have a long life.
Diaphragm, piston and gearotor pumps do a much better job at lifting fuel up out of the tank and pressurizing the fuel system.
The Facet Duralift pumps are a great pump for carb’ed cars under 500 hp that aren’t being wrung out for long periods on the racing circuit. Unless you were to run dual Facets...

Gents,
Thanks for your input. It's possible the claimed flow rates of the Facet Red Tops could be a little optimistic, I found this 10 year old thread, post 14....

Running the two pumps together looks like an easy/in-expensive fix.

Kind regards
Julian

I have a pair of Facet red-tops that can deliver 7psi running through a pair of Malpassi regulator Filters at 7psi. I run both pumps when the engine needs it, and have never had a problem in 15,000 miles. Holley 670 cfm, 350 bhp 302. This works for me, the pumps are level with the fuel tanks.

David Garton

Supporter
I'm using a pair of SW 240A. Not many road miles yet, but seem to keep up with a few spirited track laps. A bit hard to find, but crop on eBay now and then. Most will need refurbishing.
Brian, Im looking for Glass style fuel filter and regulator for my MKI build. Can you supply info on the one used in your photo? Thank you, David

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Brian, Im looking for Glass style fuel filter and regulator for my MKI build. Can you supply info on the one used in your photo? Thank you, David

Mine's a FISPA unit, as used on some old Alfas and Ferraris. Once again, they crop up occasionally on eBay or look on historic Alfa sites.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
External pump and hydramat to aid fuel pick up.

That would be my suggestion.
if you want a fuel cooler the small European Diesel vehicles run fuel coolers.

Ian

Randy Folsom

Supporter
External pump and hydramat to aid fuel pick up.

That would be my suggestion.
if you want a fuel cooler the small European Diesel vehicles run fuel coolers.

Ian
Ian, thx for the guidance. Why do you prefer the external pump? Is it cost, ease of maintenance, reliability, etc.? Definitely like the idea of using a Hydramat if using an external pump. I found this cooler on Amazon:
Derale 13700 Electra-Cool Remote Cooler,Black https://a.co/d/hGfr93F

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
External pump for ease of maintenance. Would be my reasoning. If the internal one goes wrong how much do you need to dismantle to get the tank,out and swap parts?

I like the KISS principle keep it stupidly simple

I would also run a cooler in natural air flow to avoid the hassle / noise of the fan

Ian

David Garton

Supporter

Klaf

Supporter
I have a question on this topic. Would placement of the pump in the compartment behind the tank in the RCR allow for push type fuel pumps? Its technically at the level of the tank. I was thinking of the Aeromotive.
Aeromotive High-Output Billet Fuel Pumps 11219

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

On the first page do not run the pump dry. I would thus say NO.

Reason when you brake the fuel will slosh forward and the fuel pick up will see air, so the pump will run on air under braking aka Dry so expect a failed pump in short order.

In my DAX from around half tank under hard braking / spiritrd driving I could hear the fact red top I run start hammering as it drew air. Immediately returned to normal tick tick once off the brakes.

Ian

Back