SLC Insurance (Non-Replica)

Any body have some suggestions for insurance? I'm having a hard time getting the car "classified" correctly. I've spoken to Grundy and Hagerty...they act like I'm speaking Chinese when I say it's a kit car and NOT a replica.

I did finally get Hagerty to quote me, but its $3k a year... :thumbsdown:

Hmmm...Thanks Rock. Never even occured to me to try one of the major companies. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I was told by my local State Farm rep that they only insure "kit cars" for up to 30K in value. Perhaps you can share your agent's contact info with us.

Hey Jack...I finally got a quote out of Grundy today. Was about $1400, but she said car shows, parades, and maintenance trips only!? Couldn't even be used for pleasure rides....weird?

Was that what they told you?

Nope. Declared value, 2500 miles per year. Also inferred that is mileage never checked. They may have changed policy requirements since then.

Midwest Classic Insurance, talk with Robin Terry
888-271-4000
You can chose your mileage, drive it to work twice a week, pleasure drives and it's insured at stated/agreed upon value.
Mine is under $700/year.

Thanks guys...

All of this is great info for any one wanting to drive an SL-C on the street.

I'll be calling Robin in th A.M. too!

i went ANPAC.American national. ran around $900, but htey had an office here in town and 2 agents. One thing they didn mention, all insurance is null and void even in the parking lot of a race track. Dooh.

If it helps, here is my call list (Can't recommend anyone as of yet):

Insurance for Collector Cars and Collectibles | American Collectors Insurance

www.rallyinsurance.com - Rally Insurance Group

Auto Insurance Quotes | Home, Life & Car Insurance | Farmers Insurance

Sneed Insurance in Memphis, Tennessee - Sneed Insurance

Classic Collectors - Home

Welcome to Heacock

All of these, and the companies listed by the people who've replied before me, were suggested by other "Kit/replica car" owners, and collected from various web forums.

Zoey,
Did you have any further feedback from the insurance companies on costs?
Allan's pricing of under $700 would see reasonable. I pay a collector car insurance company about $250 for my old hot rod Porsche. That's 2200 lbs and about 275 WHP. The insurance company knows it is modified. I think I'm supposed to do less than 3k miles a year.

Thank you,

Doug

Being that I don't have my car yet, I haven't called around yet Doug. Honestly, I don't expect to start calling until I'm close to getting the project on the road. Prices could change quite a bit between now and then.

Wow you guys are lucky, I'm paying $700 for a 13 year old unmodified Mazda Miata and that was best quote I got at HALF of the next best quote, the majority were about $2000 a year.

They don't like the British license and lack of credit history because that's somehow important to an insurance quote....

Wow you guys are lucky, I'm paying $700 for a 13 year old unmodified Mazda Miata and that was best quote I got at HALF of the next best quote, the majority were about $2000 a year.

They don't like the British license and lack of credit history because that's somehow important to an insurance quote....

A British license and no credit history weren't issues for me (2008), but the lack of US driving history was. The trickiest part of my California driving test was driving straight in reverse. I made the mistake of saying that it wasn't possible to fail, so my wife had to prove me wrong .. twice, but I didn't tell anyone that ;).

Our family car (Mazda6 :sleeping:) was $1k per 6 months (Geico - my wife had UK accidents that we declared), but that came down over time, now being about $630 pa for 6k miles (IIRC). The extra insurance (for a couple of years) is basically another (hidden) relocation cost.

Being that I don't have my car yet, I haven't called around yet Doug. Honestly, I don't expect to start calling until I'm close to getting the project on the road. Prices could change quite a bit between now and then.

Hi Ben,
No worries! Will look forward to the info when you are ready.
thank you,

Doug

Of course insurance in the states will be far more expensive for you Brits...you learned and spent your whole life driving on the wrong side of the road :laugh:

Not wanting to derail this thread too much but the interesting bit is that us lefties have to take a driving test to get a US license, any country that drives on the right can just get one without doing anything...

Back