Spoiled?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here are a couple of pics from the Aotosprt show at the NEC in the UK of the CAV GTR40 and the spoiler/splitter. Does this look good or is it a wart on the nose?
My vote goes with the wart - too modern for me. It probable works well but give me a less effective but period canard every time.
What go you think?
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• CAV spoiler.jpg
    CAV spoiler.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 483
  • Cav splitter.jpg
    Cav splitter.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 448

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'll be making one similar to that for the nose of my car when it's on the track..

It will come off when not being driven at speed..

undoubtedly a help, but I bet a lot of the effect could have been achieved with something a bit more subdued.

Man, I love that look, but its not for me. I can barely get my 40 out of my driveway now without scraping.

Mike

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
PISH.............
Like a kit car painted in some nail parlour. It's probably got parking sensors as well.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
That kind of attachment doesn't suit a 60's styled car. I also thought the shut lines on both of these cars a bit poor for show cars.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'll be making one similar to that for the nose of my car when it's on the track..

It will come off when not being driven at speed..

I agree with Randy, it could be useful but not for the looks or the street driving. I think this would be a great asset on the tract or open road racing at very high speed. I tremendous amount of air goes under the car and blocking it and moving it around the sides could cause a vacuum effect. After doing the Big Bend race I was checking under my car and noticed my license plate was bent from all the air passing under the car. Defusers would be nice also if you could remove them for street use. Just my thoughts. Randy I hope to see some pictures of your set up when done.
Jack

Here are some better pictures of the (ugly) spoiler.
It may be not historical correct or the prettiest for the GT40, but it is extremely effective for racing. These cars race against modern cars like Porsche GT3's and Ferrari 360's in South Africa with very good results. They would not be competitive with the old original Gurney style "tabs".

Attachments

• lemans2007_galery_07.jpg
    lemans2007_galery_07.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 326
  • lemans2007_galery_09.jpg
    lemans2007_galery_09.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 315
  • springbok_2008_IMG_0677.jpg
    springbok_2008_IMG_0677.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 361
  • wallpaper_06.jpg
    wallpaper_06.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 303
Hey, it's an R, meaning race? it's for effect, like not coming off the track and flying. Its mean and effective, you ain't going to go that fast on the road so no need for the spoiler. JMHO

I believe that front aerodynamic aids are vital for stability at high speed. But IMHO they completely ruin the front view of the GT40 that I find so appealing.

If you look at the car with fresh eyes, it looks like a modern race car. Such was the advanced styling of the original, that a dressed up model can still look sharp against modern Ferraris and Porsches. You can get away with those kind of spoilers if you are not trying to pretend it is a '60s racing icon. The modern Ford GT is one of the best looking GT racers now and this CAV looks more at home with that stable than the original GT40.
If I saw this car on the track with modern machinery, I would say, wow that is cool. If I saw it at a retro event with '60s and '70s GT cars it would not look right at all.
By the sounds of it, this car was meant to be driven alongside modern stuff. And there, I think it has a place. Old silluette with modern race tuning. Fab.
Martin

If you look at the car with fresh eyes, it looks like a modern race car. Such was the advanced styling of the original, that a dressed up model can still look sharp against modern Ferraris and Porsches. You can get away with those kind of spoilers if you are not trying to pretend it is a '60s racing icon. The modern Ford GT is one of the best looking GT racers now and this CAV looks more at home with that stable than the original GT40.
If I saw this car on the track with modern machinery, I would say, wow that is cool. If I saw it at a retro event with '60s and '70s GT cars it would not look right at all.
By the sounds of it, this car was meant to be driven alongside modern stuff. And there, I think it has a place. Old silluette with modern race tuning. Fab.
Martin

I agree. However the first photos of the show car have the chin spoiler molded into the front hood/fenders to look like one piece. I would think that the first dip, the front would be broken. It just looks wrong to me. The CAV pictures of the preped cars, they look like bolt ons and they look right to me. I would expect to see a rear spoiler/wing too.

On for racing, off for steet.

Back