SteveB MDA MKII Build Diary

Chris Kouba

Supporter
The gaps are coming together and the doors close with a nice clunk. I still can't get over how any slight adjustment to any panel etc seems to change something else, the way seems to be a continual roundabut of adjust,fill trim that get progressively less, untill it breaks your will to carry on!

Glad to know someone else is laboring through this at the same time as I am. I am getting an amazing workout as I fill, then sand, and then fill again and sand again.

Some advice I got from Hersh was to start at one panel (any one) and work around the car section by section. As I work my way around, I know I am getting closer, hopefully you have some motivation in that way as well. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

After that, it's seal it and endlessly sand it again. In the end, you'll know every curve on the car though.

Here is a little more progress.
The car will be off to the propper painters next week, so I have made the rear grille surround. The rest of the car is stripped back ready for final prep priming etc
There is a mount for the rear fog light for SVA in the center, it may need the pipes lifting to get the correct viewing angles. The surround still needs final polish but will look OK against the grille that will be black powder coated.

The change to 15" wheels with Avon tyres is done now, I am happier with the more period look.

Paint will be blue with the white stripes, but the Guardsman blue sample looks a tad flat so I'm looking for tips for a similar shade with a bit more 'bling' ... any suggestions?

Steve

Attachments

• Jan 08 2.jpg
    Jan 08 2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,094

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Steve, you are powering along - nice work !

Re the blue colour - you might like to check out Honda's "Marine Blue" from the late 90's Preludes.

I looked for the "right" blue for over 6 months, & eventually had it presented to me by way of a mate turning up unexpectedly in his Honda Prelude - as soon as I saw it, I knew it was the one ! I grabbed his log-book & got the paint code (then said hello) !!

I had been looking for something like the "Royal Blue" that you could get in writing inks years ago (yes, when I started school, we used nibs & inkwells, then graduated to fountain pens - yikes) !!

The Honda Marine Blue seemed to have just the right ingredients for me - not too dark, no grey or purple in it, & had a very fine metal flake effect - just enough for some subtle "bling" in the sunshine, but not an over-metallic finish like you see on some hot-rods.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• DCP_0624 (Medium).jpg
    DCP_0624 (Medium).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,116
Neal , Peter,

Those are the true blues that have no red or grey hue that I'm looking for I will check the code with the local paint supplier. Either will set well against the white stripes.

Peter that's a great looking 40, my daughter is in Sydney I'll tell her to lookout for it .

Steve

No turning back now. It's blue with white stripes. I will be V pleased to see the difference when it next passes this doorway, then put it all back together again.
Steve

Attachments

• Into the spray shop.jpg
    Into the spray shop.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 946
WOW!!! That will look great Stephen! When is the due date ? :) I'll have to make a pilgrimage to Yorkshire when she gets back.

More progress, the paint is almost finished apart from some minor corrections and final buffing. I am well pleased with the colour chioce now I've seen it on the car.
I look forward to the final assembly work now.

Steve

Attachments

• Rear painted.jpg
    Rear painted.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 784
  • Front painted.jpg
    Front painted.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 766
Despite a fall of snow this morning I was able to collect the car from the paintshop. Here are a few pictures back in the garage.

Can't get the grin off my face!

Steve

Attachments

• Painted 1.jpg
    Painted 1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 685
  • Painted 2.jpg
    Painted 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 674
  • painted 3.jpg
    painted 3.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 692
  • Painted 4.jpg
    Painted 4.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 679
  • Painted 5.jpg
    Painted 5.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 670
  • Painted 6.jpg
    Painted 6.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 692
Its a real boost to have the car together, however it was soon in lots of bits to start refitting the parts striped of for the paint job.
I made a mistake by painting the doors to the body colour inside.
The 'textured interior is now sprayed with U-pol satin black... much better.

Steve

Attachments

• Painted door int 1.jpg
    Painted door int 1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 653
  • painted door int 2.jpg
    painted door int 2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 701

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Steve, looks superb, the more MkII I see the more I love it. You can expect a visit soon when I get my car back on the road and go on a shakedown run.

Have to support Dave, The more MKII i see, the more i like them.
Great color choice Steve !!
Would you mind giving us the exact color code ?

Thanks
TOM

Hi Tom.

I was aiming for the Guardsman Blue and Wimbledon white stripes. Chris Martino gave me the details of the PPG codes, Guardsman blue PPG #12832 and Wimbledon white PPG #8378.
There appear to be variations on the blue so I searched out a BMW pearlblue to go with the Wimbledon white that is a limestone shade.
I'm very pleased with the result.
I will try to get the BMW paint ref and post it.

Steve

Hi Tom.

I was aiming for the Guardsman Blue and Wimbledon white stripes. Chris Martino gave me the details of the PPG codes, Guardsman blue PPG #12832 and Wimbledon white PPG #8378.
There appear to be variations on the blue so I searched out a BMW pearlblue to go with the Wimbledon white that is a limestone shade.
I'm very pleased with the result.
I will try to get the BMW paint ref and post it.

Steve

Thanks so far Steve. Guardsman blue is one of my favorites, but you color is a little more fresh.
TOM

Hi Tom

I've checked up on the shade of blue. It is a 1991 BMW blue , this is the BMW colour ref PURBLAU253.

It is very blue without too much silver to send it 'grey' and without the red hue that tend to send the shade purple.

The Wimbledon white is a 'limestone' white that is not as stark white of some modern shades and complements the blue.

Steve

The build up continues after painting. I need to sort out suitable indicator lights for the SVA next, the jacking brackets wil also go on after the test. The mirrors look OK and have electric adjustment and demister

Here are a few sots of recent progress that show the humped front arches and the grille mesh.

Steve

Attachments

• 100_1126.jpg
    100_1126.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 648
  • 100_1127.jpg
    100_1127.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 100_1128.jpg
    100_1128.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 100_1129.jpg
    100_1129.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 443

Dave Collins

Supporter
Steve,

Car is looking great.

Do you intend to leave the Marchal driving lights installed for SVA and do you have side lights fitted?

I am intending to drill my Marchal driving lights to take the sidelight rather than risking drilling the Marchal headlights which do not have a sidelight as standard.

Dave

Back