SteveB MDA MKII Build Diary

Dave

I intend to blank out the lower light cover leaving the Marchal under it and fit the indicator lamp onto the blanking plate as high as it will go, I think that will comply with the 350mm mi height.
I have fitted the side light into the headlight units, strangely there appears to be no minimum height for front side/position lights only a max of 1500mm so we need not worry about that one. However you need to see 50% of the apparent lamp surface from an inward angle of 45 degrees ; in the lower pocket this may be an issue.

Steve

Dave Collins

Supporter
Steve,

Thanks, for SVA I have a set of lights from Vehicle Wiring Products that will provide front indicator and sidelights which can be mounted in front of headlight. After that 65 Mustang indicator will be fitted below the Marchal driving light.

VWP also came up with a set of rear lights that can be used instead of the 61 Corvair rear lights and fit well in the same recess diameter. I intend to have fitted so that they can be easily changed if required for any reason in the future.

Dave

Dave

Is the Mustang light the original fitment, I've been trying to identify the light used. I want the two screw fix lens like the attached photo.

If you have the lights, what is the overall diameter?

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• GT40 MkII front indicator.jpg
    GT40 MkII front indicator.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 516
Dave

Thanks for your help on this one. I presume you will use the lens and the bulb holder base cut down to the bare size of the amber lens and abandon the chrome bits.

Steve

Hi Chris

The MkII used a lamp that secures with two screws through the lens not the Lucas type. Space is limited the ones in the UK are too big so the Mustang item could be the one.
I have attached the only other photo of the item I have.

Thanks for the info

Steve

Attachments

• MkII indicator 2.jpg
    MkII indicator 2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 419
Hi Steve,

Yes, I see what you mean. I gave up my search and used the Lucas lights and if the lower light pod mounting face area is the same size for the MK I & II's I can safely say that what I did fit just fine and looks to me anyway, close the original cars. As you say, space is tight but the Lucas type are a 2-screw and just fit under my Marchal's.

Curious to know more of the Mustang type if you get more info-

Cheers-

Chris

There has been progress on fitting out the rear clip with the temporary SVA rear lights, the heat protection for the underside and the final position for the snorkel ducting that will be linked with flex duct.

Here are a few shots. Wire them up next

Steve

Attachments

• Rear clip 1.jpg
    Rear clip 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 476
  • Rear clip 2.jpg
    Rear clip 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 495
  • Rear clip 3.jpg
    Rear clip 3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 459
  • Rear clip 4.jpg
    Rear clip 4.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 479
That is looking REALLY good!! I love the MkII rear lights and grilles.

What thermal protection are you using on the inside of the rear clip? And what adhesive are you using to install it?

Thanks, and keep the pics coming.

Cheers
Bill

Bill

Thanks for the feedback.

The stuff I used under the clip is a glassfibre woven fabric with a bonded aluminised facing. It is supplied by an industrial consumables supplier, the catalogue page is attached. It is available in two weights. I thought it was inexpensive compared to motorsport branded offers
The glue is a 3M product 'Scotch-grip' 1300L, I've used it before on a TVR Griffith that had an insulation panel that detached when things got hot. It stayed in place afer using this stuff . Like most 3M it is expensive but it works!
If you would like an off-cut sample email me your address

Steve

Attachments

• http www.arco.co.pdf
    114.5 KB · Views: 554
Hi Steve

you are making a really nice job of your car, it is a credit to you. I especially like the MK11 rear it looks absolutely excellent

Regards

Chris Melia.

Again, I have to ditto what Chris said about the back of your car. Just superb.

And thanks for the ref info.

Cheers
Bill

The rear clip gets heavier as it is built up, and now its painted I can't single handed lift it into place.

Fortunately I had a little help from friends. Martin Mike and Alan came over from Lancashire for a visit, they assisted, thanks guys!

Here are a few shots of it in place

Steve

Attachments

• 100_1145.jpg
    100_1145.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 100_1140.jpg
    100_1140.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 484
  • 100_1143.jpg
    100_1143.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 100_1144.jpg
    100_1144.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 522
I have been looking for an upgrade in the performance of the Marchal driving lamps. I had yellow bulbs, clear would be better. however I have found some 50w Halogen bulbs with the three pin base suitable for these lamps.
They are available from Page Title UK phone 01692 535802.

Steve

Attachments

• Marchal halogen bulb.jpg
    Marchal halogen bulb.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 362
It's time to sort out some SVA issues. I have fitted a removeable steering wheel, I believe this will need to be locked in place and require tools to remove it also a collapsable boss. I will also add the Mountney pad for the center of the steering wheel.

Here are some pics of the collapable hub I have grafted onto the removable boss, you can just see the locking bolt that locks down the relaese ring.

There is also a shot of the almost complete dash, I think everything that has flick switches are in the 'exemp' area.

I have made a front vent support for the hinged panel. I made up a plastic clip to snap onto the Dzus fitting at the botton and a socket at the top that the top Dzus locks into, it will stow in a couple of terryclips.

Another poser is where to put the rear numberplate. There are no directions on minimum heights in the SVA manual. Has anyone info on position?

Next job rear clip supports

Steve

Attachments

• Dash 3.jpg
    Dash 3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 508
  • Front vent support stay.jpg
    Front vent support stay.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 486
  • Steering colapsable boss.jpg
    Steering colapsable boss.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Steering collapsible boss 2.jpg
    Steering collapsible boss 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Where to put the No Plate.jpg
    Where to put the No Plate.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 490
I am a bit hampered at the moment, recovering from an op to repair a shoulder tendon. Arm in a sling for weeks!

Anyway I have the front indicator lights from a 65 Mustang and have stripped off the chrome surround before and after photos attached.... anyone want the chrome bits?

The rear brake ducts have the connecting high temp hose fitted

Steve

Attachments

• Front indicator 1.jpg
    Front indicator 1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 334
  • Front indicator 2.jpg
    Front indicator 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 361
  • Rear brake duct.jpg
    Rear brake duct.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 423