Toms RCR 40 Trackracer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tom,
Are you painting it yourself? That seems to be your style. Looks like you spent a lot of time on the sanding and prep work.
Atta' boy Tom

Later

Ps. I bought some steel tubing and my friend Bill welded it. Now I can mount the rear clip the way you have done it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tom - your work is marvelous..

I would like to see more close-ups of the intersection of the doors/spider/rear-clip around the areas of recess to the side scoop.. It's one of my areas of concern..

Randy

your wish is my command. Also if you download the pics you could zoom in pretty far as they have a good resolution.

PICT3205.jpg

PICT3188.jpg

TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Perfect - Thanks for taking and posting those Tom!!!!

One more question if I may...

Did you need to pull in the right side bottom of the clip (below the side scoop) in order to make it meet the rocker panel's contour?

Thanks again - you've been a great help and I can hardly wait to see your car in paint!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can´t wait for the car in paint too, but we will have to wait until the car is mechanicaly done. The paint will be the last thing. I also think it is good for the paint job quality if the car sits in filler for a few months and get sanded afterwards everything has set.

TOM

Car in filler, used 2k Epoxyfiller from the yachtbuilder supply ( SP High Build 302)
sprayed it with 2,5 nozzle and 2,5- 3 bars. Filled some pinholes with a small brush.

What you think ?

PICT3551.jpg

PICT3552.jpg

PICT3553.jpg

PICT3554.jpg

PICT3556.jpg

PICT3557.jpg

PICT3558.jpg

PICT3559.jpg

PICT3560.jpg

PICT3561.jpg

PICT3562.jpg

PICT3564.jpg

PICT3566.jpg

PICT3567.jpg

PICT3568.jpg

PICT3569.jpg

PICT3570.jpg

AWH: 450 h

TOM

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Tom -

I think it looks like crap! What manufacturer of vintage or modern cars maintains even/consistent body panel gaps like that??? Your car is just not going to look "correct" when completed!

In all seriousness Tom - you are doing an AMAZING job! The body panel fit looks excellent. The effort you are putting into your build is an inspiration for those of us building a GT40 or something else.

Keep up the great work!

Dave L

Ron McCall

Supporter
Looks amazing Tom!! Perfect stance ! I love the flairs. You should be VERY proud. One question though, will you be able to get to the screws that hold the two pieces of the dash together once the windshield is in??

Tom,
Maybe I missed it but what are you using for weather striping? The stuff left over from the previous owner makes my rear clip stand too tall. The fit lines are good. Just need some better material. What do you recommend?

Bill

Chuck

Supporter
Tom,
Maybe I missed it but what are you using for weather striping? The stuff left over from the previous owner makes my rear clip stand too tall. The fit lines are good. Just need some better material. What do you recommend?

Bill

Bill:

For the rear clip use McMaster-Carr, part number 1120A421, which has a 7/16” bulb. For the doors use. McMaster-Carr, part number 1120A431. It has a 5/8” round bulb. It provides a snug fit and minimum distortion of the door top. (In the middle in the photo.) www.mcmaster.com

The smaller weather stripping lets the rear clip settle nicely into place while the larger provides a good seal on the doors.

The first weather stripping shown is what was recommended by RCR. We were not happy with it and found the bulb type to be much better.

More details on my build blog.

Chuck

Attachments

• WeatherStrip3.JPG
    WeatherStrip3.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 487
HI all, time for a little update,

After sanding the car completely with 360 Grid paper i decided that i don´t need more that the one layer of filler i had put on. The body came out great and besides a very few places where i burned through the rest have to be done by the painter.
What was left than before storing away the body parts, is to paint all the inner panels.
For this i used a expoxy primer/filler and topped it with a durable PU chassis paint in semigloss black. The inner side of fenders wher coated with a layer of stonechip protection before puttinng on the primer.
As i liked the semigloss look of this color very much, i also used it on the inner side of spider, doors and the dash.
PICT3607.jpg

PICT3610.jpg

PICT3645.jpg

After storing away all the prepared bodyparts i started to focus on the chassis.
First step was to pressure wash all the sanding dust away. My son Michael did this perfectly.
PICT3623.jpg

Than we mounted the driveline. We connected the G50/05 to the SBF with the delivered adaptor plate. I also mounted the recommanded poly engine mounts. Everything went together how intended. Than it was time for setting the driveline in the chassis. For this purpose i used my special engine lift. It is a 1963 Eicher traktor with the enormus power of 28 PS, but it has hydraulic front lift and a nice very short gear ratio. so perfect for my purpose.
With the help of my brother in law the first lifting in of the engine was done in 30 min.
PICT3625.jpg

PICT3626.jpg

PICT3628.jpg

Still the wrong tilt to bring in the engine smoothly, so we shortened the rear belt and it went in very nice.
PICT3631.jpg

PICT3635.jpg

i modified the mounting in the adaptor plate by opening up the holes for the chassis bolts. I had Martin a friend of mine turning some nice DELRIN mounts with thick aluminium ( 7075) washers . This mounts are going through the plate and the bolt are going through the DELRIN mounts. This way it is not totally rigid mounted and the bigger diameter reduces wear of the polymounts.
PICT3639.jpg

PICT3640.jpg

Finally i ended up with the engine foward as much as 2 3/4 " from the chassis sleeve to the adaptor plate. Still need some longer bolts(11") and the spacers.

PICT3641.jpg

With the engine in this position driveshaft line up is perfectly parallel with the rear horseshoe ( therefore perpendicular to the wheels and drive of the gearbox). I expected to have some issues with waterpump clearance at the firewall, but much to my surprise my short waterpump serpentine belt drive setup whic Gordon had built for this engine,has still 1" clearance, so no bump needed. In order to have the engine almost leveled in the chassis (front to rear) i needed spacers below the engine mounts about 1/5" thick. The gearbox cleares the rear CNC brace with a 1/4" gap, but i will file down some of the gearbox ribs and also camfer the CNC brace to achieve 1/2" clearance.
The mounting of the headers was very straight forward. They fit perfect so it was done in 15 minutes. Next step is to install the spacers and than the shifter
PICT3642.jpg

PICT3644.jpg

PICT3637.jpg

PICT3636.jpg

TOM
AWh: 500 h

Last edited:
PSSSST this should be a secret . See my post:
"After storing away all the prepared bodyparts ..." I didn´t say where i stored them hehe.;-))
Just a few pics of the storing place
PICT3620.jpg

PICT3621.jpg

BTW what do you think about the engine position ?

TOM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back