"Vigilante 6.0 Vengeance" project

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
That's good news. Hopefully they can figure it out for you, at least by the time you are ready to fire it up. That gives them at least a couple of weeks, right? :wiseguy:

They tell me they have done an RS4 project before and the one guy has done various RS6 applications and so forth. Both of them reckon that it is no big deal. :)

Sounds like they should have some references for you before you have to commit. Always good to have the customers version.

best regards, Doug

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Just to be clear about one thing. I cannot get 01E boxes anyware in South Africa and I now hear that I cannot buy from overseas because i need to be a registered importer! As you know I have one on it's way due on the 17th of this month. I have a company sorting it out for me. It sure seems it isn't a free country as some would like me to believe!

The guys that have my ECU's did open them and removed the imobilizer and told me that I can now bench start the engine. That is great. They will also do the other mapping etc. when I am ready. Only problem is that it cost me R4500 which is about $560 (for this first step).... I am kinda taken aback at the costs and then again thinking about it again I suppose it still saves me a bunch. Just hope the mapping and so on won't cost me an arm and a leg!

Hi Jack

I have sucessfully personally imported parts from USA and the UK.

Being a registered importer is only a matter of filling in some forms from the customs office, but that is only necessary if you often import parts.

Cheers

Fred W B

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi Fred,

I was told that no used items may be imported at all anymore except if you are a registered importer. Maybe the shipping company hasn't got it totally right. There is an agent handling it now for me. He also mentioned that it must be a once off but what if I want more parts? Back in 1998 I use to import motorcycles from Japan and We use to be registered importers but I have now been told that the laws have changed alot.

At Autosalvage I've been told that the government wants to outlaw used suspension and other parts of being sold. Not sure how they will actually implement it.

Hi Jack

Fair enough, I was thinking new parts and can't profess to be an expert on used parts. I have bought in a set of used carbs though with no hassles

Cheers

Fred W B

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi Fred,

They are still trying to find a way for me... did you pay 20% advelorum on your carbs? They reckon that is what I will pay.... So there goes another R3k. bar VAT.... :(

I did pay duty, can't remember exactly how much it was. Its a killer they charge VAT on the value including the duty:thumbsdown:

I actually consilidated a package from 4 different suppliers so at least the transport cost was not too bad. I found it is much cheaper to organize the transport yourself from this side rather than let the vendour do it.

I just asked the vendours to advise the size and mass of the parcels and got a transport company to fetch them

Cheers

Fred W B

Last edited:

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Have not really progressed as I would of liked. I also have found what bugs me about the front of the car. Will be making those changes this week. Otherwise here are some pics taken this past weekend.

Cheers
Jackal

Attachments

• 2012-09-08 12.03.20.jpg
    2012-09-08 12.03.20.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 2012-09-08 12.02.10.jpg
    2012-09-08 12.02.10.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 2012-09-08 11.59.47.jpg
    2012-09-08 11.59.47.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 2012-09-08 12.04.41.jpg
    2012-09-08 12.04.41.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 2012-09-08 12.00.21.jpg
    2012-09-08 12.00.21.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 254

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Just an update on the guy that half scammed me on a supposedly 01E gearbox but then sent an 012 and who after many weeks only refunded me 60% ... Well I found out today that I am 8th in the line! The network company assured me that they will not work with Woodbrook Spares until such time that all our differences have been settled. So there is a positive. I'm sure I'll get the remainder of the money in time.

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
I'm picking up my suspension parts tomorrow. Got it for next to nothing. Yippeeee something going well! These are the same as on these pics.

Cheers
Jackal

Attachments

• Audi A4 suspension front.jpg
    Audi A4 suspension front.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Audi A4 suspension rear.jpg
    Audi A4 suspension rear.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 280

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hey Doug, all of it. I am going to use the front cradle in the rear with the engine mounts etc for the engine and the contol arms in the front copying torsion bars and fixtures.

Cheers
Jackal

The rear obviously I won't use except for the springs shocks, discs, calipers.

Last edited:

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi Jack

If you planning to use the front suspension struts (at the rear or front?) will they fit under the body line?

Cheers

Fred W B

Hi Fred,

It is a total custom chassis so I can incorporate the support into the chassis. If it does not work I will just leave the support out and copy the brackets onto the chassis.

P.S. The front suspension pic, I am going to use the cradle in the back with it's engine brackets and the support arms will stay on the front but fitted with custom brackets. Well that is the plan anyway! :)

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
OOOOoooohhhh, cutting it extremely close.... recieved my import permit fir the items today and the goodies will be arriving on Monday! Yeah baby yeah! :)

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
My 01E has been cleared at Customs and is in warehouse storage. Waiting for shipping company's final invoice then I can collect! Also collected my suspension bits and pieces. Can't wait to get started.

As far as the body. The changes I am incorporating on the nose has already made a helluva difference (for the good I might add). The view from direct front bothered me and gave me some sleepless nights. Anyway I cut away quite a bit reducing the front intakes by about a third. Now I am looking at extending them inwards so that they line up properly with the exit vents on the bonnet. Haven't taken any photos but will take some this evening. Hopefully I have my gearbox and parts by then as well then I will take some photos of those too.

I also took the steering column, steering rack, brake booster, pedal box etc. from the guy I bought the suspension from. Having a look at the pedal box, I'm glad I did!

Will post some photos soon.

Cheers
Jackal

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hey Doug, all of it. I am going to use the front cradle in the rear with the engine mounts etc for the engine and the contol arms in the front copying torsion bars and fixtures.

Cheers
Jackal

The rear obviously I won't use except for the springs shocks, discs, calipers.

Hi Doug and Fred,

After chatting to my chassis builder, he convinced me to dump the cradle because the necessary brackets will be welded on the spaceframe chassis etc. He is very happy because we have proper reference points for all the brackets etc. Just hope the same rear discs goes over the A6 hubs.... will know soon enough though.

Sounds good, it's always nice to have the pieces in hand to see if the reality works as good as the plan. I take it you are using the "front" spindles in the rear. What spindles are you using in the front of your build? Duplicate of the "front" to allow you to use the rack etc.?

--- Doug

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Sounds good, it's always nice to have the pieces in hand to see if the reality works as good as the plan. I take it you are using the "front" spindles in the rear. What spindles are you using in the front of your build? Duplicate of the "front" to allow you to use the rack etc.?

--- Doug

Hi Doug,

yes mate I will be using the spindles in the front with the steering rack. Well that is the current plan. On another note, I picked up my 01e today. Looks good. Just got smoked on duties, vat and admin fees. My package cost me R13000, my costs today.... another R6800...

Back