ZFQ new proposed GT40 transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Chris, glad to see you are still hard at it. I wish this had been available when I was screwing around with a ZF Type 2, which may not be over. I am competing for the "world's longest build" award. Actually, I may have won it already :) Best regards to you, Chris, and good luck with the ZFQ, it looks brilliant.

Chris,

In the 'G50' thread in the -Powertrain & Transaxles Forum- Frank Catt mentions that the ZFQ is a ZF case redesigned to accomodate porsche gears. Is this the case ( pardon the pun )?

Jac Mac

Chris,

In the 'G50' thread in the -Powertrain & Transaxles Forum- Frank Catt mentions that the ZFQ is a ZF case redesigned to accomodate porsche gears. Is this the case ( pardon the pun )?

Jac Mac

85 mm shafts center distance is an historical Porsche parameter.
Could be a coincidence

Hello Chris,
I have a question on the length of the ZFQ, You said it is 569mm, Does this include the oil pump?
Thanks, Ken

Hello Chris,
I have a question on the length of the ZFQ, You said it is 569mm, Does this include the oil pump?
Thanks, Ken

Hi Kenny

The final production drawings are in the link below, the optional oil pump sits above the rear chassis cross brace on the GT40 and adds about an 1" to the length.

Chris.

Attachments

• E-62G1-01.pdf
    267.4 KB · Views: 592
Chris,

Being somewhat of a skeptic, if the ZFQ box has the historical Porsche dimensions with Quaife made components, how can the transmission take higher levels of torque?

What testing is Quaife doing to show the box will take the torque?

Thanks
Dom

Hi Dom

Quaife will use a machine called a dyno to test the ZFQ. Then it will be fitted into a SPF and a Southern GT for further testing.

The 85mm shaft centres is not unusual for performance transmissions, in addition to the shaft centres being 85mm the width of the gears, size of the shafts and bearings plus the material spec helps us achieve our rating, don't forget that the regular ZF only has 79mm shaft centres, smaller shafts, slimmer gears of smaller diameter and smaller bearings.
The ZFQ is made to replace and upgrade the ZF specifically for the GT40, as a nut and bolt replacement using the same bell housing and output shafts.…

Regards

Chris.

Last edited:
Hi Dom

Quaife will use a machine called a dyno to test the ZFQ. Then it will be fitted into a SPF and a Southern GT for further testing.

The 85mm shaft centres is not unusual for performance transmissions, in addition to the shaft centres being 85mm the width of the gears, size of the shafts and bearings plus the material spec helps us achieve our rating, don't forget that the regular ZF only has 79mm shaft centres, smaller shafts, slimmer gears of smaller diameter and smaller bearings.
The ZFQ is made to replace and upgrade the ZF specifically for the GT40, as a nut and bolt replacement using the same bell housing and output shafts.…

Regards

Chris.

Chris,
very friendly, what is the problem in telling us the width of the gears,the modules, the pressure angles and the helix angles???
Soon or later we will be in the position di open one of your boxes to see what's inside.
I have declared all those datas. I promise that i keep my thoughts for my self or I tell you privately without any further show.
Regards
Wanni

Hello all,

I have a question for Chris: I am wondering how quickly one can get a ZF-Q. I have been waiting for an RBT ZF for a while and would definitely consider getting a Quaife instead if it arrives quickly. I'm sure I'd find a buyer for the RBT ZF when I get it!

Thanks

May 17, 2007

Hi Kim

We expect the first 20 production boxes to be built and ready for shipping in two to three months time.
Quaife have made the production of this transaxle a priority.

Regards

Chris.

Chris:

As one of those waiting for your Quaife unit so that I can retrieve my car from Olthoffs, can you update us on the delivery dates you listed above? According to your earlier expectation, we should be seeing them between July 17 and August 17, right?

Thanks!

Kim

Chris,

Please excuse my lack of keeping up with the latest on this thread. I get rather distracted when a good thread gets hijacked and driven off topic.

Getting back on track, has a price per unit been established? And what testing have you done with your units in cars, and what were the results?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance,

To keep everyone up to date, both myself Chris and John visited Quaife today to check out the first casting to be produced ready for machining. We were extremely impressed with the quality of the casting even in its pre-machined state. The finished box should be on test in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_58621.jpg
    IMG_58621.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,862
Well I finally got hold of the fist ZFQ ready for testing.

Attachments

• DSC00228.JPG
    DSC00228.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 1,199
  • DSC00196.JPG
    DSC00196.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,246
  • DSC00202.JPG
    DSC00202.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,112
Status
Not open for further replies.