917 Scratch Build

This work is incredible! Do you mind if i ask how you learned to do it, and any books you would recommend?

This work is incredible! Do you mind if i ask how you learned to do it, and any books you would recommend?

Hi Arn,
Never done it before, made model airplanes when younger, did a few molded glider bodies (model), did an art degree when younger (guess it helps with an eye for detail??) Also worked as a panel beater on top end cars for a while, But am a farmer by profession!
I reckon the best tool for learning is the t`internet, so many forums to view and learn, then just a bit of courage to get stuck in with it. I pondered it for an age, saw Fred`s excellent build thread and thought I could do that and there it stayed for a while until I got off my arse and actually bought 24 sheets of plywood and off to work we went!!!
I found it easier taking small steps at a time, the end goal seems more achievable then, set a goal and then get there, then set another and on you go, mistakes will be made but then that`s learning for you, it`s not as hard as it looks, just requires a lot of work, determination, a certain stubbornness, a bit of creativity and a lot of madness!!!!
regards Chris

Hi all,
Harvesting weather not been great of late, so managed to do a bit more, the front pyramid section and cross-braces welded in. Will soon start on the rear of the chassis. Having sat in the thing with the body on (going Brooommm Broomm!!) it is quite tight but having made the modifications I should be comfortable, am planning on moving the pedals forward after the IVA test. Anyway a pic of some tubes!
6066604981_6b286b9d73.jpg

Hi Martin,
Been busy with farm work of late however work will resume shortly, it has however provided me with plenty of "thinking" time, re rear uprights/suspension etc etc...
regards Chris

Eve all, a little bit of progress, first off I have got hold of some lovely alloy uprights (from John at Mamba Motorsport, who happens to live just up the road from here!) these will need machining and am currently looking at disc/hub/bearing combos that will be suitable, I enclose a pic
6348778498_350301d035.jpg

Next is some of the rear tube work, almost there, need to mount the engine/box assem, toying with the idea of solid mounting it as the flat-6 is supposed to be well balanced/smooth and then will box in around the gearbox and start making suspension arms etc...... a pic of some of the rear framework, there is still a fair bit more tubework to go into it yet!!
6377840317_bc2136839a.jpg

Happy New Year to all, hope Santa bought you everything you wished for!! (seem to remember saying that last year!!!) Had a slow Christmas, hoped to get a load of work done but in reality got a small amount done!! The uprights are away being machined, am using Porsche bearings and hubs, will be using Wilwood brakes for now and am going non-vented on the rear and vented on the front (not 100% certain on size just yet though) I also have to make some front uprights to suit said bearings and hubs, but have that in hand.
What else, oh yes have ordered a set of wheels, not bothering with centre locks, just going to use 5 stud 130`s with 8"x15 on the front and 12"x15 on the rear, these should arrive mid this month.
$(KGrHqYOKi4E42icUhsKBO(B4SgjY!~~60_12.JPG

And then I have done some more to the rear framework, fabricated one of the 2 bolt on braces and should have t`other done by the end of the week, with any luck! anyway a pic for you
6635676397_82bdd5e5a7.jpg

Managed to get the engine mounted, have used solid mounts, just hope the "knock" sensor is ok with this! Managed to get rear framework in place, a couple more tubes to go in once I have done the suspension mounts. I hope to finally get my wheels this week, uprights are done, going to go and see the chaps from Hi-Spec re rear brakes as have my doubts about the handbrake efficiency of the Willwood rear Caliper/handbrake combo. So it is coming along nicely and I have someone who is doing the frame on CAD, so that should be interesting!!
Anyway some pics, more tubes I am afraid!!
6823755299_1e540cc235.jpg

And another showing the front mount, there is still a crossmember to go in here
6823761429_19973a494b.jpg

Be careful when running knock sensor-equipped engines in solid mounts. I'm not sure about the engine you're using, but in my case with a LS6 Chevy, I was told that I would have to disable the sensors due to false readings due to the solid mounts. You may want t check on that.

I agree with Dave, and would be very wary about having totally solid mounts anyway because of engine harmonics being compromised and the transfer of any vibrations into the chassis.

I know that you are not following the original 917 set-up totally, but i would urge you to be carefull of any extra tubing and weight that you are putting into the rear end of the car.
A lot of experience with these cars, and the less like a pendulum you can make it now will pay dividends when it comes to set-up and handling. It is one helluva large rear deck going on top also, and with such a forward driving position you will know that rear end is trying to throw you off !!!!! Normal road speeds are not going to give you that much downforce that the race cars achieved and helped keep them planted.

You are doing a fantastic job and i know it is easy for any of us to throw comments about.

I realise yours is probably going to go on the road and will never be pushed as hard as one would in racing, but i would try to brace the bulkhead/main chassis rails somewhat, as they do, in the event of a shunt want to break in half at that weaker point due to the main weight of engine/gearbox, etc, and also if you are going to put the fuel tank transversally behind the bulkhead do double skin it, unlike the originals. In fact the more gussets you can put in, the less flexing there will be in the chassis anyway. Don,t rely on the bodywork bonding to stiffen it totally.

Sorry, don,t want to tell "grannie how to suck eggs" but these types of 917 set up do have their weak points and peculiar characteristics and i don,t want you to fall foul of the SVA/IVA examiners.

Thanks Terry, the uprights I bought from Mamba Motorsport - Suspension Uprights Page
John Bridge is the chaps name,very helpful, he has just done the machining on them too, fitting a Porsche 80mm bearing and Porsche hub, he tends to use Ford bits on his cars (and after paying for bearing/hub etc I can see why!!!!!)
Dave I will check this out, it will be easy to change the mounts as they are bolt on, so it`ll just be a case of making new ones.
Re the chassis, I still have some gussets to go in yet, but I take on board what you say, someone is doing a CAD design of it (reverse engineered from this frame) so we will see if we can do any stress analysis and make any mods from that before we go into mass production!!:thumbsup:

Hi all,
Just thought I`d do an update, been fairly hectic at work, not done a lot on my own car but have done a set of bodywork for someone else, to build up, the front section which will be on display at Stoneleigh on the Faroux Sports Cars stand, if you`re going, pop in and say "Hi" to Marcel and have a gander!!
7141559825_d0876fff1e_z.jpg

Back