917 Scratch Build

Popped out a tail section today, came out very nicely, very pleased with it
5506556404_3500d09c31.jpg

and close up showing the shine!!

5505965593_4119d0abf3_z.jpg

and propped on the front, it needs a good trim and then should look like a car!

5505961057_2eae46871c.jpg

Awesome. :chug:
How many hours do you think you have in this body project up to the time of this picture?

Awesome. :chug:
How many hours do you think you have in this body project up to the time of this picture?

Thanks guys, Mesa, I reckon (only a rough fag packet calculation) circa 1000-1200hrs, certainly no more and maybe less. Am sure I could shave 300 hours off it if I was to start again, I guess choosing an easier shape would cut down on hours too and all the detail work (this takes an inordinate amount of time) could be dropped for a one-off body.
regards Chris

The hours are in the details, lots of inside radii if you get my meaning. It is all time well spent now that we are seeing the result of your efforts! Remarkable work and effort!

A little bit of progress to report, got some tube ordered and started on the frame, gone with CDS tube and tig, was going to mig but thought i`d learn to tig, seems ok so far, a nice way to weld!! anyway a pic for you.
5618980994_8bc365f91d.jpg

Looking good Chris, but please watch yourself welding in / near a composite shop, that stuff is flammable you know! A mate lost an entire workshop doing that.

Cheers

Fred W B

Eve all, a little bit more progress, almost got the front spaceframe done, still have suspension mounts etc to do but will do all that once the full frame is done. First pic is of frame (still have the cross-brace and front pyramid section to weld on)
5841596900_c28a9f81eb.jpg

And last one is of the body on the frame to check clearances etc, the front hatch apperture just roughly cut out
5844981627_41e319421b.jpg

I am totally amazed at your talent. You have really raised the bar for others to meet. I only hope that I ever get to be as good at this stuff as you already are. You go, dude!!!!!!!!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fabulous progress Chris... :thumbsup:

There's more than likely no issues - but
I would encourage you to stop welding on your chassis long enough to create a few sample welds on some scrap material and bring them to a certified Weldor in your area for inspection. Welding is a form of art in my opinion, but using the proper filler rod for the materials used is key as is the fitment before hand and weld penetration.
I've been welding now for around 40 years and even at that - I would have my weldments inspected if I had just started doing TIG welding. If you're already an experienced Weldor, you may have already done this as well as some destructive analysis of some welds - if so, please excuse me. If not - please consider this.

Thank you again for sharing your marvelous build with us!

Hello Chris
Wonderful project, have been watching its progress with awe.
I remember we had to make up a new rear clip bracket back for one of these back in early 70's - these originally came from a set of skii's if I remember correctly! Never had the actual car itself in the workshop though (sadly!)
Did you get your windscreen issue sorted? I have an old friend who was involved in old Porsche screens a long time back so am not sure if he can help but might be worth a try. Send me an email/PM if need be.
Spaceframe looks really good but I agree with some of the other postings that it is always worth getting a 2nd opinion on any critical component like this.
Best of luck with it all ....
Ernie

Hi Randy, thanks for the advice, I have been Mig welding for 20 yrs and TIG only just started!!! I did have concerns to start with so asked a friend at my gliding club (he is a certified welder) and he pointed me in the right direction and has inspected some early welds and he was ok with them, am still learning!!!! Although not done any destructive testing yet, will do a couple and see how we go.
Ernie, thanks, managed to get a screen sorted from Pilkingtons here in the UK (they have the original tooling) was expensive but worth it and I can also get some Plexi ones done from another company here in the UK.
Harvest will be just around the corner here if the weather bucks it`s ideas up so work will stop untill Autumn and then I can have a big push during winter.

Did a test weld this morn, tube used is 2.45mm CDS tube, 1.6 tungsten, 1.5mm A15 Filler rod, 90-105 amps, 10 secs post gas flow, gas flow 12ltrs/min and slope down period set at 7 secs, the tube was not purged mind (suspect it would be quite hard to purge the inside of the tube on a whole chassis!!)
Pic is of weld, tube all cleaned up with a flap wheel and filler rod cleaned with acetone.
5852096841_84e0cb1612_m.jpg

Next is of the weld cleaned up with wire brush, maybe a little undercut???
5852651662_bc94e2fa70_m.jpg

And after putting a 10ft bar on the tube, using a sledge hammer on it trying to break the weld, all that happened is tube crush, I decided to cut the welded joint and clean it up with some 320 grit and WD40 to see if I could actually see where the filler/tube had merged, below is a pic
5852650618_9f5689a408_m.jpg

Thoughts? I am perfectly happy with it to be honest and am sure you would find worse welding on some purchsed chassis`s!!!:lipsrsealed:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Some very nice looking weldments there Chris...

Purging - I've done this using a separate line of mixed argon, but to be brutally honest when I did my tests between purged and just atmosphere, I could tell no difference.
I think it has more to do with the steel / alloy used but I'm no metallurgist by any means.
I have started doing a preheat and post heat on some of my welds to minimize movement and induced stress.
Soldier on! :thumbsup:

Hi Chris,

I find gas flow of 6 L/min to be enough, 12 seems to be a lot IMHO, unless you are working somewhere drafty.
It's very obvious when air is getting to the weld

Back