Assembling a Monocoque

Rune

Supporter
Here I'm back again with some pictures of the plastic parts. It is both for mymonocoque and a replica to a customer in Sweden.
Now the bodywork start. hrs. of sanding is what I can see the next weeks .
Rune

Attachments

• IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_2743.JPG
    IMG_2743.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_2745.JPG
    IMG_2745.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 900

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rune - Is that a left hand drive dashboard I see? :stunned:

Your work is always a pleasure to view...

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I'm curious, the GOX monocoque is a rivet replica, why spoil that with a LHD version?

I hope not to offend, it's just that with all this incredible effort and workmanship it seems a shame to not carry it through the whole 9 yards...

Bill H

the fibre glas that looks wrong is probably wrong to, because those parts is for a square tubing replica. the real mono has metal spider and also most likely RHD... othervise it wouldn´t be as original as bune want it..

Rune

Supporter
Sorry for the confusing pictures . Reason is that Goran also had a LHD replica that was finished at same time as my monocoque . And all this parts was taken pitures of before the trimming sesion. So it is almost two cars you can see spread out there .
picture show the men(Goran and me) in white doing a trimming job. This is a job most people want to avoid if possible, belive me I've been there in the fiberglass dust.

Attachments

• Rune R plastar 010.jpg
    Rune R plastar 010.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 917
Last edited:

Rune

Supporter
I'm curious, the GOX monocoque is a rivet replica, why spoil that with a LHD version?

I hope not to offend, it's just that with all this incredible effort and workmanship it seems a shame to not carry it through the whole 9 yards...

Bill H

Bill , the monocoque is not a rivet replica, in fact it's almost none rivets on the chassis. And I would not call it a replica . A clone is more correct, since every part on the car will fit into a original car.
Rune

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Sorry Rune, when I said rivet replica, I'm actually saying that it is exactly like the original. I'm not implying that you are using rivets, your work is too nice for that.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bill H

HI AMAZING CHASSIS.......... i see you are useing a central tunnell, did all GT40 chassis use a central tunnell ? or was it just the MK IIBs, that had a central tunnell ?? im just curious..........

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
HI AMAZING CHASSIS.......... i see you are useing a central tunnell, did all GT40 chassis use a central tunnell ? or was it just the MK IIBs, that had a central tunnell ?? im just curious..........

All GTs had the tunnel EXCEPT the MK IIB cars. The coolant tubes were routed down the left hand(passenger) side of the tub. It probably would have been a little warm in that seat!

Rune

Supporter
The sheet thickness is 1mm or less on most of the chassis. The drawings ask for several thickness on different parts on the car.
Rune

I think he is suggesting that Runes answer of '1mm or less ( 0.0394" ) does not match the original 20 gauge (0.036").

Its a comment made under the common title of 'Nit Picking' and prevalent whenever someone strives for perfection and makes it more difficult for sideline observers to find faults etc.

Im not nick picking.... I just wondered why you used a Galvanised material when they were built originaly from unplated mild steel.

Ive been told that to get an HTP now it has to be from the original material.

Back