Christmas Presents. Where did it all go wrong?

Chatting with my Brother the other day, we were discussing how, now that we are both Parents and in my younger Brother's case, Grand-Parents (hahahaha), just how much is expected these days, from our children and Grand Children, at Christmas time.

On average this year, each child in our family, received roughly £700's worth of toys and assorted other rubbish, which will no doubt be all too quickly cast off and forgotten.

By comparison, we laughed at how we typically received perhaps as much as a sweater, an orange, a meccano set to share and a 12" album of our favourite band.

Thinking of this, what do we all here (assuming most of us are of a suitable age that shouldn't be specifically mentioned), remember as our most memorable Christmas gift, that has provided enjoyment ever since?

For me, it is this simple piece of Vinyl, which has probably been listened to at least once per month ever since 1977. I call that value. Thanks Nanna.

Where did it all go so horribly wrong? If we were satisfied with so little, what led us to believe that our children require so much more just to be happy?

Attachments

• A Farewell to Kings.jpg
    A Farewell to Kings.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Thinking of this, what do we all here (assuming most of us are of a suitable age that shouldn't be specifically mentioned), remember as our most memorable Christmas gift...

Oh, man...one thing instantly popped into my head...a new Lionel train set I received from my folks when I was a kid...a set I really had reason to think I wouldn't receive. Why? Mom had told me she was really sorry, but, she and dad just couldn't afford to get it for me that year...and that the big, heavy box under the tree I'd been fantasizing about actually contained a new "Skilsaw" dad needed for work because his current one was about to 'die'. She said they had to choose between the two. Though momentarially disappointed, I quickly understood (as all kids did back in those days), and, given the 'facts', I truly was happy for dad. On Christmas morning, I got under the tree and shoved that heavy darned box over to dad 1st thing 'cause I was actually anxious to see his reaction when he open it. I thought he'd be excited when he saw (no pun intended) its contents.

It was then that dad got that devilish, 'you've-been-had' grin on his face and mom started to snicker. She said, "That present is really for you, son." I was completely stunned...but, at the same time I was worried. I asked mom where Dad's present was (not wanting to use the word "saw") - horrified that dad wasn't getting his new saw. Dad then explained the ruse and told me his current Skilsaw was in perfect shape would still be working fine long after he was gone. And you know what? It still is. It's sitting out in my shop today in its original metal carrying case. And every time I use it I think of that Christmas...and my folks.

Oh, if you're wondering, I still have that train set too...and, when last I checked, it was also in perfect working order.

Where did it all go so horribly wrong?

'Darned good question, sir...

Last edited:
Chatting with my Brother the other day, we were discussing how, now that we are both Parents and in my younger Brother's case, Grand-Parents (hahahaha), just how much is expected these days, from our children and Grand Children, at Christmas time.

On average this year, each child in our family, received roughly £700's worth of toys and assorted other rubbish, which will no doubt be all too quickly cast off and forgotten.

By comparison, we laughed at how we typically received perhaps as much as a sweater, an orange, a meccano set to share and a 12" album of our favourite band.

Thinking of this, what do we all here (assuming most of us are of a suitable age that shouldn't be specifically mentioned), remember as our most memorable Christmas gift, that has provided enjoyment ever since?

For me, it is this simple piece of Vinyl, which has probably been listened to at least once per month ever since 1977. I call that value. Thanks Nanna.

Where did it all go so horribly wrong? If we were satisfied with so little, what led us to believe that our children require so much more just to be happy?

Mark,

I expect your parents sat around having the same conversation about how they were perfectly happy with a Hazelnut, Brazil nut and one segment of a satsuma to share with their siblings that only cost a penny.

While you expected a sweater, an orange, a meccano set to share and a 12" album of our favorite band that together cost 12 shillings and sixpence.

I think you can put it down to old age and no doubt in 40 years or so when I am old I will be saying the same sort of things, :)

At least they filmed your conversations

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo]Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen - YouTube[/ame]

True Wogg :)

Bob

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ah, yes, highly Woggian in his outlook.

I think more of birthday presents, being Jewish and knowing nothing of Christmas except buying gifts for all my godchildren who mysteriously turned out to be goyim, I can't think where I went wrong (comments, Keith?) but some of the birthday gifts I got from my mother have stayed with me over the years:

-in college, age 17, a two-LP set of Django Reinhardt and the Quintet of the Hot Club of France. I still have it. I still listen to him, in amazement. If I meet him in the hereafter, I'll know I was good enough to go to heaven.
-the first volume of the Patrick O'Brian seafaring series, "Master and Commander". an amazing set of stories, twenty volumes of them, so that they last all boating season when I re-read them.

You can tell that someone really loves you when you get something from them that not only delights you then, but delights you for the rest of your life, and changes your life as well.

My mother, rest her soul, loved me a LOT.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
We have a deal in our family. £ 20 max per present.
We get no ' arm twisting feedback '.
it just depends how you bring them up... period.
Education as to the wider picture is the key, i feel.

A lovely story Larry. And thanks Nick, I'll get me coat!

And I am cancelling Christmas next year! ;) Being a WOGG and all.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good Story Larry, thanks for sharing.
The best present I can remember as a kid was a horse called Captain. He was a Clydesdale
and Dad used him to cart the milk and plough the fields. We lived on a Dairy farm.
Because he was my present it was my job to feed and water and brush him every day.
When he wasn't working the fields I was allowed to ride him bareback to school picking up other kids along the way. He died of a snake bite when I was about ten, I still remember crying my eyes out.

And I am cancelling Christmas next year! ;) Being a WOGG and all.

Mark,

Don't do that it's not about the presents it's about spending time with family and friends and talking to relatives you only talk to once a year ;)

P.S. Best present I got this year was from my daughters boyfriend, he got it from the pound shop, picture below. Trouble is I will have to take it back as it dosn't seem to work!!!

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    148.6 KB · Views: 195
Mark,

Don't do that it's not about the presents it's about spending time with family and friends and talking to relatives you only talk to once a year ;)

P.S. Best present I got this year was from my daughters boyfriend, he got it from the pound shop, picture below. Trouble is I will have to take it back as it dosn't seem to work!!!

This may sound woggist but have you ever met my inlaws??:shout::furious:

Bob:)

Keith

Seven 'kin hundred sovs per child??? :stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned:

What kind of insane world do you inhabit?

You're having a giraffe....Get shot of 'em t'out suite mate...just move and don't tell anyone, wrap their sandwiches in a road map, change the locks while they're out.

Plenty of cheaper families out there...

Golly gosh a mighty.

Golly gee Keith, best idea yet!

My wife went missing for a week. The police told me to prepare for the worst.

Damn, I had to go back to Goodwill to retrieve all her clothes...

We're couldn't afford to give the grandchildren Christmas presents this year.
Instead, they were quite happy playing with the packaging from the new 55" Smart HD TV and didn't notice.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
What a great idea Tony --buy yourself something nice and let 'em play with the wrappings -- and what do you give grandchildren that have everything these days .
:idea: a perpetual gift --live long enough to be a burden to 'em :worried:

Interestingly -- My grandfather who came from Caithness in Scotland (100years ago) used to tell us, that they would only get an orange for christmas -- I never grasped the significance of that, probably 'cause I grew up on an orchard with what seemed like a million acres of the bloody things

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Be careful what you give it scars some people for life - certainly did me!

Christmas 1969 I got a half share in a Scalextric set with my brother.
A year later the motor burnt out on my car and for my birthday my dad replaced it with a GT40 for the scalextric set

Well after all these years I am still fixated by the GT40

That said I really would not have wanted for a better childhood. we had a great time - on our second hand bicycles, with our buddies - also riding on hand me downs. Would that ever happen in this day and age?

Ian

Back