Current State of GT40 Market

........and I bet Kevin if you walked in with a suitcase of cash you might get it for even less. Interesting point you've found. The plot thickens.......as they say.

Don't forget that if sold by auction,
theres an added % the the auction house will want too !
I'm guessing thats why the higher price.

Curtis

Don't forget that if sold by auction,
theres an added % the the auction house will want too !
I'm guessing thats why the higher price.

Curtis

That is exactly correct - sellers have a limited number of cars they can list for free per year on eBay. So, the price most likely does reflect what the seller will accept at a minimum, plus any additional fees from listing on eBay and potentially using PayPal or other service.

Ian

Just saw this one on ebay.

Other Makes: eBay Motors (item 350381742869 end time Aug-13-10 20:00:27 PDT)

I have seen this car before at D&M a couple of years ago. They wanted 140K back then, had 500 miles on it. It is a beautiful car but I struggle why it is special other than being RHD.

I priced out a new build by Dennis with ZFQ and Gulf Flares and it came out to less than they are asking.

*Note, I am not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with the seller

Last edited:

Keith

I am still very dubious about the descriptions of these things. Nowhere does it say continuation, replica, in the style of etc. It just says "1966 SPF GT40"

OK for those that know the actual provenance, but as the market and appeal widen to include non-enthusiasts, could someone actually think they are buying something that is genuinely 44 years old with only 500 miles on it?

Or would you just put it down to caveat emptor and be done with it?

I am still very dubious about the descriptions of these things. Nowhere does it say continuation, replica, in the style of etc. It just says "1966 SPF GT40"

OK for those that know the actual provenance, but as the market and appeal widen to include non-enthusiasts, could someone actually think they are buying something that is genuinely 44 years old with only 500 miles on it?

Or would you just put it down to caveat emptor and be done with it?

Keith,

I guess different people feel differently about such things, and that's just fine. Personally, I feel that the thing being described should actually BE as described...and any descriptor that is materially inaccurate is, in fact, a misrepresentation. I also happen to know what the law says about such matters (I'm also a trained attorney): the law in the US at least applies a level of knowledge and liability to the seller that doesn't allow for casual misstatements such as "1966" or "GT40" when it's not. Adding in "SPF" does nothing to lessen liability for the seller, same as in trademark law where using a further descriptor doesn't cure a trademark violation.

I know this first hand as well - a while back I purchased a Fiat 1500 Osca (via ebay) which was represented to be an Osca version. The car showed up and it was a standard Fiat 1500. I only paid $6,000 for the car but through a long and winding litigation pathway the court awarded costs and damages - now there's a dirt bag in NJ with a $40,000 lien on his house. I'll get paid the $40,000 plus interest before long.

A lot of people (including judges) have been screwed by somebody on ebay (or other forum) trying to pass something off as something it's not. So when it comes time to put some pain back on those deceptive sellers who misrepresent items for sale, my personal experience has been that they're highly disfavored defendants.

Last edited:

Keith

Keith,

I guess different people feel differently about such things, and that's just fine. Personally, I feel that the thing being described should actually BE as described...and any descriptor that is materially inaccurate is, in fact, a misrepresentation. I also happen to know what the law says about such matters (I'm also a trained attorney): the law in the US at least applies a level of knowledge and liability to the seller that doesn't allow for casual misstatements such as "1966" or "GT40" when it's not. Adding in "SPF" does nothing to lessen liability for the seller, same as in trademark law where using a further descriptor doesn't cure a trademark violation.

I know this first hand as well - a while back I purchased a Fiat 1500 Osca (via ebay) which was represented to be an Osca version. The car showed up and it was a standard Fiat 1500. I only paid $6,000 for the car but through a long and winding litigation pathway the court awarded costs and damages - now there's a dirt bag in NJ with a $40,000 lien on his house. I'll get paid the $40,000 plus interest before long.

A lot of people (including judges) have been screwed by somebody on ebay (or other forum) trying to pass something off as something it's not. So when it comes time to put some pain back on those deceptive sellers who misrepresent items for sale, my personal experience has been that they're highly disfavored defendants.

Great reply and info Cliff, thanks. The trouble I do see is that people have bought into the "continuation" thing and paid a premium for it when, what it really is, is a very good modern replica enjoying the nomenclature of "historical provenance". Yes I know we've been here before but I get really uncomfortable with the sale descriptions - I just feel it's a kind of scam. My fault I suppose judging by owners responses, and who could blame them? They've paid a premium for the product to be thus described. I would also say that I do have the funds available now to buy into the "dream", but would seriously NOT consider any product described thus.

Not incredibly bothered except when I see something from 2010 billed as a 1966...? Not true..at least in my book.

Can someone cite an example of another product that could be sold or described (legally) in this way? I have searched but not found...

A Ford GT40 Mk1 continuation GT40P2208/1035 for sale in southern Sweden. Asking price SEK 1,495,000 equal to USD 203,000 or EUR 158,000. The somewhat high price is partially motivated by the car having an authentic chassi number P2208/1035. However, this is slightly confusing as the original car P/1035 had a "transfer of 13 PHA to the car" and the registration number became "void" in June 1971. This car has been produced by SPF on licence from Saphire Engineering.

Anyone have an idea on how the 1960s chassi number could be used?

Keith

Hmmmm short answer no. Curious though as I understand it, 1035 had 2 road registrations: XBH 763F and 13 PHA. The fact that the registration 13 PHA became "void" in 1971 most likely means that it was probably re-registered with a new registration plate as it was shown owned by a Dr. Michael Dawes in 1973. According to Mr Spain, he still owned the car in 1986 (when the 1st edition book was published)

Trevor Legate has it:

"P/1035
A production racing coupe, it was sent to Shelby American but returned to JW Automotive in the
UK for completion. Used in series of advertisements for Shell Oils. Currently resides in Japan".

I am not sure which is the latest version but I would suspect Legate's and it was apparently fitted with a parachute for the Shell adverts! Either way, there is no official correlation between the cars chassis number and the cars UK registration number, as that could be changed at will whereas the chassis number stays with it forever (just don't tell Sbarro!).

IMO someone is just trying to be clever but I'm sure our resident experts will put the story straight. :)

I'm astounded that this car has been on Ebay at $40K starting price for nearly a week without a single bid, and the Buy It Now price is only $60K.

Seems like a great deal for a new car that looks fabulous on the outside and in the engine compartment. The interior isn't it's strong point, but even in a weak market under $60K for a complete registered RCR deluxe plus build should have people's attention!

Ford : Ford GT: eBay Motors (item 230539016314 end time Oct-23-10 05:05:33 PDT)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Allans car is a really nice car and a great deal...

I have had quite a few emails from guys asking my opinion of it and I have told them all its a cracker....

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Beautiful car. IMHO, he'd do himself a huge favor by either removing the EFI option, or better yet putting it on the car and sorting it. Probably add $10K to the value of the vehicle IMHO.

Fran is right, this is an exceptional car with incredible attention to detail and execution. I have seen this car through some of the build stages and it is a true bargain at that price!

Is it fair to say that the interior hasn't been finished to the same standard as many (most) other GT40s, or is it just a bad photo in difficult lighting conditions?

I'd be surprised if the interior didn't match the standard of the rest of the car, but I'm only going by the photo...

looks good that car, nice color too...good price, not much time left

<TABLE class=vi-is1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TH class=vi-is1-lbl>Time left:</TH><TD class=vi-is1-clr colSpan=3>3h 3m 19s (Oct 23, 201005:05:33 PDT)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
if that car was in the EU for that money then the bargain is even bigger....
shame all import duty's and taxes etc spoils that fun a bit.
nice car anyway, I life in the wrong part of the world for it.

Back