Dean's GT-R build thread

Sorry if this has been asked before but how much wider in body and track is the GTR over a narrow rear clip RCR 40?

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
According to the new RCR site the RCR 40 is 66" wide for the standard fenders plus 2-4" if "gulf" flares are added

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I have tried to surf into RCR's website to investigate the differences, but the website I could access did not even have a list of cars offered, much less comparative data for each model.

The 40-R intrigues me...anxiously following multiple build threads to find out if it is within my skill-set...too much fabrication always means a NO GO for me!!!!

Were you able to find more info than I did? If so, would you please share the URL? I just clicked on RCR when I searched for advertisers...that yielded some very impressive photos of suspension pieces, but nothing about model availability that I could find.

Cheers!

Doug

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Doug,

The correct URL is: www.race-car-replicas.com

It sounds like you're being routed to the old site. The new site went live over a month ago so something has cached the old IP address, either on your device or the DNS server your connected to. I'm not sure what browser/OS/provider you have, but try cleaning out your cache and rebooting. If that doesn't work, let me know.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I can speak to the fab work or lack of it.

Now back to our program.

It seems like I am always doing the A/C towards the end and I have to wrestle around this equipment. So I asked Fran if there would be a problem if I did the A/C early in the build. He said it would be fine so here we go!

I used my nut rivet gun again to put threads in the top radiator shield. And built these brackets to support the bottom. I painted it silver to help it blend in.

On the evaporator you need to peel back the insulation and loosen the fitting. The orientation of the small line will not work. This is what it looks like in the kit.

This is how it needs to look. Then just fold the sticky tape back in place.

I decided to slot the holes on the tub to allow for more air flow. You might be able to slot all of them but I left one for strength. I made this cut with a jig saw and it worked pretty well.

The next thing to do is ask you wife for help or one of your kids. You will need to hold the unit in position and trace the opening onto the plastic so you can cut it out. A white paint pen works great. I used a strip of 1/2 inch weather strip to seal the unit against the under side of the dash.

Here it is all bolted up and in place. I did not use the the outside hole. The unit was not large enough to cover all of them.

I took a picture with a ruler to give you some perspective as to how much room is in there with the unit in place.

Now I'll lay out the lines, cut to length and run down to Carquest and get the ends crimped on.

I haven't seen those! That's pretty slick. I have already had mine crimped for a box of donuts from the gas station! The guys at the parts store are pretty good guys. Here are a couple shots of the a/c system just about finished up. I just need to do the compressor pieces when the engine goes in.

I will be able to support some of those lines if i need to when the fuel fill is installed.

Now it's time to try my skill at the gold foil. You guys that have installed this have really raised the bar!

I got started on the insulation yesterday. It really isn't that bad. I guess you could chase wrinkles forever if you wanted to but you can get to 95% pretty easily. I had a wrinkle in the middle down low and when I tried to fix it the material stretched and, well it is what it is. When the engine goes in, you wont see it and it will still function as intended. I found it much easier to use smaller pieces.

Oh man thats awesome!

What does the Race-Car-Replica interior look like? Ie, the dash and door panels?

Just curious.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Doug,

The correct URL is: www.race-car-replicas.com

It sounds like you're being routed to the old site. The new site went live over a month ago so something has cached the old IP address, either on your device or the DNS server your connected to. I'm not sure what browser/OS/provider you have, but try cleaning out your cache and rebooting. If that doesn't work, let me know.

I think your link took me to the old site, too...there was no link to the cars offered by RCR :thumbsdown:

If you have any other ideas I would be willing to try...

Cheers!!!

Doug

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Doug...the old site is long gone.....!!!!

You need to clear your cache...the new site is the only one that's up and active.

The GTR is listed on the RCR40 page under Superlite GTR.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Doug...the old site is long gone.....!!!!

You need to clear your cache...the new site is the only one that's up and active.

The GTR is listed on the RCR40 page under Superlite GTR.

Does an iPhone have a cache? It is my only access to the www right now and if it does have anything called a cache I certainly don't know how to access it or clear it...

I clicked on the new link provided by the previous party in this thread...is that not the correct web address?

Thanks!!

...damn computers, anyway!!!

Cheers!!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks...those got me through to the website!!!

My apologies for what seemed like thread drift, Dean...I've been following your thread daily and was curious how much larger the GTR is than the RCR40...looks like the difference is significant regarding interior room but not enough larger externally than the RCR40.

...now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Cheers!

Doug

This is my oldest son. Dylan is a little over 6"4' with about 2 inches of hair! (about as thick as my helmet) His feet are 20 inches from the end of the foot box.

This car is significantly larger than the GT40.

Last edited:
Back