F1 2009

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
"Williams is planning an all-new line-up of reigning GP2 champion and rookie Nico Hulkenberg alongside Rubens Barrichello, with the latter Brazilian to be replaced at Brawn by Nico Rosberg."

Frank once again is either the training ground for new talent or last stop before the pasture for old. Nico Hulkenberg is a real talent and future Winner

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I think Vettel will pass MS in terms of achievements and will go on to achieve more than any other driver ever. I hope the fame and money doesn't wreck his personality
but I fear it nearly alsways does with any of them. So far he is still very much in touch with reality but the adverse effects of his talent is that so many other talented drivers will be wasted in the intervening years and everyone in the pay enclosures gets bored and remains at home unless you were in the "Rot Heer", much the same as the MS years.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Massa and what the Doctor orders:

No Interlagos except as a spectator and Abu Dhabi might be one race too soon as well.
Oh well, back to the garden. and another caipirinha......

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Massa can see OK now.
He might now be able to wave the flag in Interlagos.
He will be allowed to drive one of the Ferrari F1 cars tomorrow (Monday). It might be last seasons car though on GP2 tyres.
Tom Wheatcroft - who owns Donington circuit - is owed shed loads of money by the current tenant Gillet who was trying, unsuccessfully it seems to promote and again unsuccessfully it seems secure enough money to run the Grand Prix in 2010. Now, Tom is a great mate of the midget with the very tall very rich ex wife Ecclestone (he needs great mates after all now Flav has gone from F1 [though it seems he is trying to encourage Flav to mount an appeal of the FIAs lifetime ban decision] ) . Watch that space or watch that piece of land called Donington more likely. I think it might just change hands very soon and the new owner?? The little midget guy with the tall rich ex wife and the new Brazilian girlfriend Ecclestone. I think Bernie Ecclestone will do just about anything just to get up the nose of the BRDC who own and manage Silverstone and also in spite of the public not really wanting to have the race at Donington.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
From the Daily Mail :

I won't race again this season: Ferrari's Felipe Massa rules out return to F1 before November

<SCRIPT src="http://scripts.dailymail.co.uk/js/diggthis.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

Convalescing Ferrari driver Felipe Massa concedes his chances of making a return to race action this season are 'very, very low'.
article-0-06ABE7E9000005DC-196_306x383.jpg
Slow recovery: Felipe Massa is getting better but doubts he'll race again this season

The Brazilian has been sidelined since fracturing his skull in an incident in qualifying for July's Hungarian Grand Prix but had hoped to be fit to take part in the season finale in Abu Dhabi on November 1.
It now appears he and his bosses at Maranello have elected to err on the side of caution, meaning understudy Giancarlo Fisichella will remain at the wheel of Massa's F60 for the remainder of the campaign.
'I hope I'll be back soon but I also know the best thing is that I'm coming back 100 per cent at the start of the next season,' said Massa.
'My dream would be to race in Abu Dhabi. But the possibility is really, really low.'
After completing two days in the Ferrari simulator this week, the 28-year-old is scheduled to drive a 2007-spec car on Monday - after undergoing a medical check-up in Paris later today, with the FIA in attendance.
Although in-season testing is banned, Massa has been granted permission to drive the two-year-old Ferrari, fitted with GP2 tyres.
'I'll go to Paris for some medical check-ups at the FIA and on Monday, if the weather is fine, I should finally be behind the wheel of a Formula 1 single-seater,' he said.

article-0-06B63E6F000005DC-320_224x200.jpg

article-0-06A1A5C9000005DC-725_224x200.jpg

On the mend: Felipe Massa with Ferrari Director Stefano Domenicali and behind the wheel of a kart ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix

'I hope I can do many miles and do well, not only in terms of performance but also as far as constant lap times are concerned.
'I'm confident and I think there won't be any problems. It's true that a Formula One vibrates a lot and there is lots of physical stress, but I'm used to it.'
Following Monday's test Massa will turn his attentions to building his sharpness for the start of the 2010 season, when with a new car and new team-mate in Fernando Alonso he will be bidding to capture his maiden world title.

article-0-05D70ADA000005DC-218_468x286.jpg
Horror injury: Felipe Massa is carried from his Ferrari at the Hungaroring in July

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1219218/I-wont-race-season-Ferraris-Felipe-Massa-rules-return-F1-November.html#ixzz0TcNDzOJp

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Also from the Daily Mail:
Damon Hill tells Bernie Ecclestone: Silverstone can save the British Grand Prix

<SCRIPT src="http://scripts.dailymail.co.uk/js/diggthis.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
By Malcolm Folley, Mail on Sunday Chief Sports Reporter

Damon Hill last night insisted Silverstone can save the British Grand Prix — but only if the circuit is awarded a multiple-year contract.

The fate of the race, which launched the modern World Championship 59 years ago, was cast into crisis yesterday by an alltoo predictable financial shortfall enveloping the development company of rivals Donington Park.

Simon Gillett, the CEO of Donington Venture Leisures Limited, has until tomorrow to prove he can raise £50million if he is to retain any hope of staging the British event on July 11. Privately, the British Racing Drivers’ Club, who own Silverstone, are bewildered Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone granted a third extension to
Donington’s original deadline of 30 September.

article-0-0697D550000005DC-9_468x273.jpg
Now listen to me: Damon Hill explains his point of view to FIA Presidential candidate Ari Vatanen

Even if Donington can produce the funds, there is little likelihood of them redeveloping the circuit to the demands of Ecclestone in just nine months. Hill, president of the BRDC, said: ‘We have always said we are ready and prepared to host next summer’s
Grand Prix. But, frankly, in order to do this we would want a multi-year contract.

‘There has to be a real fear we could lose the race next year — and if it disappears for one year, who knows what could happen in the future.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1219491/Damon-Hill-tells-Bernie-Ecclestone-Silverstone-save-British-Grand-Prix.html#ixzz0TcOdTnNa

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Glock will not go to Interlagos after all.
Monday post race testing ? It may have a few hidden problems but on the face of it, it does seem sensible to cut costs.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Felipe Massa returned to a Formula 1 car this morning in Italy. The Brazilian is testing a Ferrari F2007 on GP2 tyres at the team's test track at Fiorano. He is not planning to return to F1 this year but is simply doing the tests to see whether or not his accident in Hungary in July has had any long-term effects. It i anticipated that Massa will return to testing this winter and will be back in F1 full time next year as team-mate to new signing Fernando Alonso. Ferrari will rely on Kimi Raikkonen and Giancarlo Fisichella for the final two races of the year.

Below is smoke and speculation I have heard recently.

<HR style="COLOR: #dedcd7; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dedcd7" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Alexander Wurz could be involved with the USF1.
Pedro de la Rosa could be at Campos with Russia’s Vitaly Petrov
Christian Klien with Virgin F1
Anthony Davidson is being mentioned as a possible Team Lotus driver.
Alguersuari will be back at Toro Rosso next year and the word is that he will have Repsol money behind him.
Toyota JarnoTrulli Timo Glock Kamui Kobayashi.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
1. Barichello leaves Brawn after the Abu Dhabi race - and may even join Williams with
a signing in Interlagos this week.
2. Takumo Sato, the human opposite to "none destructive crash tests" wants back
into F1 in 2010.
3. Renault will have new colours very soon. Probably to stop using the corporate
colours of ING, their previous main sponsor who dumped Renault.
4. Ecclestone, the little guy etc etc , has given Donington yet another deadline
- probably about the fifth extension - to come up with the money to run the Grand Prix. Surprise surprise.

Keith

Nico's sudden arrival at Brawn will no doubt have a major effect on JB. Million dollar question is, will it make him faster or slower?

Does he have any toys left in his pram to deposit on the tarmac?

Questions questions, always questions.. :huh:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Wouldn't it be great if the championship was left undecided after this next race in Interlagos. It would certainly be a lot less interviews aired this season with the man in the pink coloured shirt which would be a bonus. (John Button)
He (Jenson) only has to very little to actually win it - something along the lines of finishing in third in this race. I live in hope.......

ps - it could be raining this week in Sao Paolo - it's that time of the year for Cb activity as well.

Christian Klien with Virgin F1

I know I have missed many races this season due to life getting in the way..........but I thought Virgin was behind Brawn? If so,how does this stack up with JB and Hulkenburg?

Keith

I believe Virgin will either quit next season or keep their sponsorship low key with possibly another team, possibly Brawn. Branson got a hell of a lot for his initial £100,000 but reckons (especially if they win the Contructors & Drivers) 2010 is going to be too rich for him at Brawn..

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>

</TD><TD>Ecclestone: Donington in breach of contract

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Bernie Ecclestone had denied handing Donington Park an extended deadline to prove it has the finances to fund its redevelopment and insisted that circuit boss Simon Gillett is now in breach of contract.

A statement issued by Gillett on Monday following a meeting with F1's commercial rights holder stated that the venue had been given another two weeks to show it has the finances required to carry out the work required to host the British Grand Prix next season.

However, Ecclestone denied that a new deadline was in place and said the 14 days was simply for Gillett to remedy a breach in contract that has now occurred.

"We haven't decided to give Gillett another deadline at all," Ecclestone told Telegraph Sport. "We have informed him he is in breach of contract. The contract which we have gives him 14 days to remedy the breach. Most business contracts are like that.

"People interpret things the way they want to interpret them. It would be hard if you were standing in a court today arguing what he [Gillett] said was wrong. But he hasn't been given another deadline at all. He has been given, like the contract says, another two weeks to remedy the breach. No deadline has changed."

Ecclestone – who denied that he would invest in the circuit and said he hadn't spoken to Gillett - added that, if the breach isn't resolved within the next fortnight, then Donington's hopes of hosting F1 would be over.

"I've been thinking he's going to come through all the way along because he's sort of led me to believe it's all OK," he said. "But I have no reason to discuss anything with him. He's either going to remedy the breach or he isn't. If he isn't then that's the end of the story. If he is then we're going to have to make sure that he does all the other things that the contract provides for."

Should Donington fail to resolve the breach, then Ecclestone revealed that Silverstone will be offered 'the opportunity of exactly the same contract as Donington'.

Keith

What the flipping heck are you talking about Ecclestone!

Quote: "He's got 2 weeks to remedy the breach of contract" and
"He (Gillet) has not been granted an extension" Unquote.

Breach of contract is failure to show evidence of sufficient financial backing to complete the alterations. Ergo if Gillet remedies the breach (by showing that he has the funds) within 14 days he is Ipso Facto complying with the original requirement and off we go again.

Therefore Gillet DOES have a virtual extension!

Bloody doublespeak... Give it a rest you Midget and let Silverstone retain the race. I will never ever watch one of your blasted circus' again if the British GP goes anywhere else...:veryangry:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
You are the man Keith, I totally agree it should stay at Silverstone. What I think the poison Dwarf was trying to point out was technically if Gillet had been given a two week extension that would equate to four weeks. I.E. a Two week extension plus the two weeks to rectify any breach. So he was making it clear to the press that Gillet has two weeks only to rectify the breach.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
I just hope that the dug up Donnington can be kept alive as a circuit after all this. It was one of the UK's best circuits. It would be a shame if the circuit isn't built as it looked a good intersting layout. Personally I do not mind where the Biritish GP is held so long as we have one. Any circuit it goes to has to be a good one. Silverstone is good, Donnington is good and Brands Hatch is good. No one single circuit deserves it more than any other and if it gets passed around every so often then all the tracks will improve the facilities which will be there for the rest of the year so others can use them.

Of course Bernie is still playing the tracks off against each other. He went to Donnington first off to annoy BRDC and Silverstone knowing full well the chances Donnington could fail in their attempt. He wasn't going to lose any money over this was he? The backers of Donnington will lose out big time now. Then he can justify a stance to the BRDC of take it or leave it with his contract. In his eyes, it then won't be Bernies fault if we lose the British GP. It is just the game of business between big players who play very hard and the likes of you and me are not a consideration.

Back