F1 2010

Malcolm

Supporter
From my experience of driving and racing at Silvertsone, Alonso was guilty as charged but completely over penalised. No way could he have expected to go around the outside at that left hand corner and not expect to be pushed off on the right hand corner following. It is a horrible and tight corner. But a penalty is meant to penalise isn't it? I suspect it was an inflexible rule book decision again. He should have had a 3 or 5 second time penalty added at the end of the race IMHO being an estimate of the time he would have had to lose to concede the place back. I liked the quote on the BBC red button text from Alonso; "The officials are always right and I am not upset".

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
O.K. if you have not watched your replay by now you are not a fan.
A terrific race full of interest, lots of passing and a measure of controversy. Webber totally pissed of about the wing, out gunned Vettel at the start. Vettel had an attack of brain fade and got a puncture on the curb. But then drove very well to pick up points with a little help from the safety car.
A terrific drive by Rosberg to secure third. And Lewis drove the wheels off his car for second.
Webber's comment over the team radio "not bad for the number two driver" showed he was still angry. RB need to sort that out or they will keep tripping each other up.
Alonso got a very harsh penalty which screwed his race. The stewards have to get better than that.
Silverstone 9 out of 10.:thumbsup:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Vettels answer to a question put to him after the race. I don't think this is going to go away.

Q: When Mark Webber crossed the finish line he was heard saying, ‘Not a bad job for a number two driver!’ Did you notice that? And is the team spirit still good?
SV:
I have my own opinion about that matter that I rather prefer to keep to myself and to focus on myself. I have made my experiences and, sometimes good or bad, you get to know people a little bit better and see their true faces. I think I have learned my lesson.

Keith

From my experience of driving and racing at Silvertsone, Alonso was guilty as charged but completely over penalised. No way could he have expected to go around the outside at that left hand corner and not expect to be pushed off on the right hand corner following. It is a horrible and tight corner. But a penalty is meant to penalise isn't it? I suspect it was an inflexible rule book decision again. He should have had a 3 or 5 second time penalty added at the end of the race IMHO being an estimate of the time he would have had to lose to concede the place back. I liked the quote on the BBC red button text from Alonso; "The officials are always right and I am not upset".

What could he (Alonso) expect after virtually accusing the Stewards of race 'manipulation' at Valencia? Sorry, not virtually, he did.

He should learn to keep his mouth shut, otherwise he is just like any other overpaid undertalented whinging footballer. He has much talent and he should reserve his energy for driving..

What goes around....

As in Red Bull. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that RB consider SV as No.1 and there is a very logical reason for that in terms of longevity, because Mark has just so much left to give. However, they failed to realise the real racer potential in Mark who has raised his game beyond all expectations because the boy is really hungry and knows it's his last shot at immortality.

I am quite sure that they considered Mark as a 'No.2' in the beginning, but as a true grit (not Brit) he is saying 'stuff you' and more power to his elbow. F1 has become so fucking corporate (sorry about 'F' word - well no, because I am angry). Racing is racing, and I put Mark right up there with Lewis as a born racer and F1 is richer for his presence.

Game on... :)

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Agreed.

Prior to this year I really didn't think much of Webber - thought he was just a little too hard to pass, always quick with a block, etc.

Right now I am behind him 100% and I hope he kicks the Wunderkinds ass like a drum.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
+ plus 1 Keith, Molleur, and Pat. But I must disclose a fair amount of Aussie Bias on my part. With all the Webber/ Vettel stuff a great drive by Rosberg has almost been passed over. He is making his team mate Michael look a bit sad.

Malcolm

Supporter
But Michael seemed gracious when he said that he has to up his game (his words not mine) to catch Nico and that is a change of attitude to his first career. Wish I could drive as badly as Schuey does now! Wonder who Ross would give the only new wing available to if they had that issue to worry over? That would be revealing!

Keith

+ plus 1 Keith, Molleur, and Pat. But I must disclose a fair amount of Aussie Bias on my part. With all the Webber/ Vettel stuff a great drive by Rosberg has almost been passed over. He is making his team mate Michael look a bit sad.

Think Michael is probably making himself look sad. The mindset is missing - he needs some of Mark Webbers!

Plus, when you pass 40 or so in that kind of game, the skills might still be there, the reactions as sharp as ever but the brain says "Gott in Himmel - this is bloody dangerous" and there's nowt he can do about that unfortunately.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
...and it was reported the the Red Bull decision to give the Wunderkind the newest wing came from "on high in Austria" according the Horner.

Seems to me Webber should stick to his statement now about being the number two driver (seems pretty obvious thats what is thought of him by the ownership) And accept the position - will make it all the better when he beats Vettle in the championship. GO WEBBER!

BTW I am no fan of Webber's blatant blocking tactics past or present (although seems Vettle deserves whatever Mark throws at him at the moment). I rather like Alonzo's subtle ability in holding off a certain Ferrari of a seven time world champion a few years ago. Effective, without being blatant.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
IMHO, you cant blame Webber for being upset, then again you cant blame Red Bull for wanting to keep Vettle happy. Webber is at the end of is F1 carrer and Vettle is Red Bulls future.

Mesa, you'r right, Alonzo was brilliant a few years back, what fun!

Keith

IMHO, you cant blame Webber for being upset, then again you cant blame Red Bull for wanting to keep Vettle happy. Webber is at the end of is F1 carrer and Vettle is Red Bulls future.

Mesa, you'r right, Alonzo was brilliant a few years back, what fun!

Jim, a F1 2010 Championship Contender "at the end of his career"?

Surely, you jest. (I know don't call me Shirley)

But seriously though....:stunned:

Red Bull: FAIL

Rubens is at the end of his career and he was a championship contender last year (?)

Webber is older than Vettle by a bunch, but lets face it, Vettle is more skilled even at his young age (although probably not wiser or "seasoned") AND ..the biggie... AUSTRIAN. Even if Mark wins the Championship this year he will at best be equal with Seb next year at RB. If there were a place to go for Mark I'd be looking to change teams.....but where would one go to get an equally good car. Nowhere, since Mclaren is fully stocked with World Champions at the moment.

Jim, a F1 2010 Championship Contender "at the end of his career"?

Surely, you jest. (I know don't call me Shirley)

But seriously though....:stunned:

Red Bull: FAIL

Keith

Yeah yeah corporate stuff... but just don't try telling Marky Mark that he's "at the end of his career" when he's driving the wheels off his car and showing his pampered team mate the way home.

To be quite honest with you, I was disgusted the way Horner et al hugged Vettel on the pit wall after that debacle crash. All they've managed to do as a result, is to kick start a very very inspired Aussie. Be afraid, be very afraid... :)

Rubens? Great journeyman driver but hardly inspired. He'd have never taken on Der Fuhrer the way Mark has taken on cry baby Vettel. The proof is his failure to take the fight to Jenson last year, given the same machinery and that Jenson is hardly a balls out red mist racer.

Agreed on all counts.

Something has put a charge in Mark this year as he was uninspired himself in the past, just sort of going through the motions. Now that he has a shot, maybe his only shot he is seeing RED....

Now if he'd stop being the poster child for moronic way-too-late blocking examples I could get fully behind his charge.

Rubens? Great journeyman driver but hardly inspired. He'd have never taken on Der Fuhrer the way Mark has taken on cry baby Vettel. The proof is his failure to take the fight to Jenson last year, given the same machinery and that Jenson is hardly a balls out red mist racer.

Keith

I suppose when you are staring in the face of your own mortality you tend to say - "shit, I'd better get this done while I still can"

It never ceases to amaze me how people can raise their game to dizzy heights give the right motivation.

To be honest, I take my hat off to all the pilots. "Grande Cojones" as they say in Hull, well known for fishing fucking and fighting except they don't fish anymore. :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Some interesting stats.

Webber was in front for all 52 laps of the British Grand Prix. Red Bull have led 433 of 600 laps in 2010.
<TABLE class=thin><TBODY><TR><TD>Driver</TD><TD>Laps led</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mark Webber</TD><TD>259</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sebastian Vettel</TD><TD>174</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jenson Button</TD><TD>74</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lewis Hamilton</TD><TD>56</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fernando Alonso</TD><TD>20</TD></TR><TR><TD>Nico Rosberg</TD><TD>16</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sebastien Buemi</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Podium finishes

Consistent top-three finishes are aiding Hamilton’s quest for the championship. Had it not been for his wheel failure in Spain he’d have seven from ten starts this year.
Nico Rosberg also looks good on this list, with as many podium finishes as Fernando Alonso and more than Felipe Massa.
<TABLE class=thin><TBODY><TR><TD>Driver</TD><TD>Podiums</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lewis Hamilton</TD><TD>6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jenson Button</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mark Webber</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sebastian Vettel</TD><TD>4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fernando Alonso</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR><TD>Nico Rosberg</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR><TD>Felipe Massa</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Robert Kubica</TD><TD>2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Qualifying

Hamilton is increasingly pressing home his advantage in qualifying too. He’s started ahead of Jenson Button in the last six races:
<TABLE class=thin><TBODY><TR><TD>Pos</TD><TD>Driver</TD><TD>Times out-qualified team mate</TD></TR><TR><TD>1</TD><TD>Robert Kubica</TD><TD>10</TD></TR><TR><TD>2</TD><TD>Timo Glock</TD><TD>9</TD></TR><TR><TD>2</TD><TD>Sebastien Buemi</TD><TD>9</TD></TR><TR><TD>4</TD><TD>Adrian Sutil</TD><TD>8</TD></TR><TR><TD>4</TD><TD>Nico Rosberg</TD><TD>8</TD></TR><TR><TD>6</TD><TD>Rubens Barrichello</TD><TD>7</TD></TR><TR><TD>6</TD><TD>Fernando Alonso</TD><TD>7</TD></TR><TR><TD>6</TD><TD>Lewis Hamilton</TD><TD>7</TD></TR><TR><TD>9</TD><TD>Bruno Senna</TD><TD>6</TD></TR><TR><TD>9</TD><TD>Pedro de la Rosa</TD><TD>6</TD></TR><TR><TD>11</TD><TD>Mark Webber</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>11</TD><TD>Jarno Trulli</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>11</TD><TD>Heikki Kovalainen</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>11</TD><TD>Sebastian Vettel</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>15</TD><TD>Kamui Kobayashi</TD><TD>4</TD></TR><TR><TD>15</TD><TD>Karun Chandhok</TD><TD>4</TD></TR><TR><TD>17</TD><TD>Jenson Button</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR><TD>17</TD><TD>Felipe Massa</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR><TD>19</TD><TD>Nico Hülkenberg</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>19</TD><TD>Michael Schumacher</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>19</TD><TD>Vitantonio Liuzzi</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>22</TD><TD>Jaime Alguersuari</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>22</TD><TD>Lucas di Grassi</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>24</TD><TD>Vitaly Petrov</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>24</TD><TD>Sakon Yamamoto</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I suppose when you are staring in the face of your own mortality you tend to say - "shit, I'd better get this done while I still can"

It never ceases to amaze me how people can raise their game to dizzy heights give the right motivation.

To be honest, I take my hat off to all the pilots. "Grande Cojones" as they say in Hull, well known for fishing fucking and fighting except they don't fish anymore. :)

Keith, if you didn't already know, the way to get the best out of an Australian is either keep him absolutely happy, give him everything he wants and support him all the way, or;

Piss him off.

Seems to be working well so far!

BTW - Vettel is German, not Austrian, the difference can be quite marked at times, but the major factor for him is that he's Marko's only major success story from his driver development program. Craig Lowndes can tell you a great deal about Marko's fairness and equity in driver management.....

Back