F1 2010

Fantastic season but will next year be better? Can anyone remember if there has ever been a time when we'll have so many "World Champions" on the grid for the start of a season? We'll have MS, FA, SV, LH, & JB Am I forgetting anyone? Certainly has potential. I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation.

Hi Chris,
No winners really - just a bit of fun. Grateful for any contributions at all and they can go to your local Marie Cury or Cancer Research - including mine.
Same again next year ?

David - Winner, in that you get to choose the charity.

I'll send a tenner to the local Cancer Research and a tenner to Naomi House, a childrens hospice near to me which would have been my choice if I'd 'won'.

Yes, same again next year.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If the 2010 season has a final line then it really ought to be that Red Bull's victory over Alonso and Ferrari was a welcome and deserved triumph over the cynicism of having a one-driver line-up and using team orders.

Last edited:
Pete, I agree with that.

I also think that Mark Webber blew his best and possibly last chance at a title, which is such a shame for him.

Red Bulls way of handling the issue of # 1 or #2 drivers was first class. They played the team card first which was to win the manufacturers title and then let the driver cards fall they way they will. In the end both dirvers had a chance to win the title but they had to let their driving skills speak above all. The best man won. Well Done Red Bull and kudos for just letting things happen versus manipulating the results as "other teams" might have done.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, I agree with that.

I also think that Mark Webber blew his best and possibly last chance at a title, which is such a shame for him.

A lot of rumours about Mark going around at the moment, some have him replacing Massa at Ferrari, or going to Williams. I think he will stay with Red Bull, he would not want to be number two to Alonso. Though some would argue he is to Vettel.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,

I was very much pulling for Mr Webber, until Korea, after that it seemd he just made too many mistakes to diserve to be Champian.

Jackie Stewart one said that the folks that become champions:

They always win the races they should win.

They win a good number of the ones where they are not fastest.

On days they have a fourth place car they get a third......

I hope Webber gets another shot because I very much like him, but this year he did not diserve to be Champian.

I like Mark, he seems a stand up, down to earth kind of guy, and I would like to see him win a chanpionship some day. But, I think the best (fastest) man won.

And I echo the Kudos to Red Bull for letting the drivers fight it out. No doubt, they've become my favorite team (unlike Toro Rosso...for their shoddy handling of Scott Speed).

Ahhhh.... but remember Vettle replaced Speed at Toro Rosso, No?
Kind of sad Speed was not up to uh, speed. As it would be great to have an American in F1 again. I still shutter at the fiasco that Michael Andretti's time in F1 was.

Yes, I recall that Vettle was promoted to RBR from Toro Rosso. I think I saw him in his first F1 race...did he not fill in for an injured Kibica? at the 2005 US F1 in Indy?

What a debacle. Sure, they refunded my ticket, but I'd flown out from Kalifornia and rented a car and room. I swore off F1...but obviously it didn't stick.

Guess I'll be visiting Texas in the future.

Agreed, Andretti was a disaster.

Yes, I recall that Vettle was promoted to RBR from Toro Rosso. I think I saw him in his first F1 race...did he not fill in for an injured Kibica? at the 2005 US F1 in Indy?

What a debacle. Sure, they refunded my ticket, but I'd flown out from Kalifornia and rented a car and room. I swore off F1...but obviously it didn't stick.

Guess I'll be visiting Texas in the future.

Agreed, Andretti was a disaster.

To correct my own mistake, Vettel was not at the 2005 US F1 event.

HHmmmmm,
Thinking back - Hakkenin replaced Andretti at Mclaren, Vettle replaced Speed at Toro Rosso. World Champions both.

A disturbing trend....

Red Bull certainly had the fastest cars this year. If I were Webber, I would stay with Red Bull and try again. Unless RB wants to get rid of him for some reason....

Yes, I think that Vettel earned the championship this year. I am also glad that Alonzo didn't win. Not that he isn't a good driver, just appears to be a not so nice person.

I think (just a gut feeling), that if Mark Webber stays at Red Bull, then it will be (slightly more officially) as a second driver to Vettel.

Pete,

I was very much pulling for Mr Webber, until Korea, after that it seemd he just made too many mistakes to diserve to be Champian.

I hope Webber gets another shot because I very much like him, but this year he did not diserve to be Champian.

Agree 100%. However this year was his best chance, so he may have blown it.

Just I wonder...last year was Brown gp, now is redbull, maybe next year will be coca cola gp.

where are the old great car producer and formula 1 teams? I dont mention only Ferrari..but mc laren, williams, renault, bmw, toyota, ford...

strange world, isnt it? ;)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Australia's next world Champ?

Ricciardo dominates rookie testing
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0cm; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 50%; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" vAlign=top width="50%"><I><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana>By Edd Straw<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
TD><TD style=
Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 13:11 GMT<o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="Z-INDEX: 251658240; POSITION: absolute; MARGIN-TOP: 0px; WIDTH: 206.25pt; HEIGHT: 137.25pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 166.25pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 7.5pt; mso-wrap-distance-top: 0; mso-wrap-distance-right: 7.5pt; mso-wrap-distance-bottom: 0; mso-position-horizontal: right; mso-position-horizontal-relative: text; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" id=_x0039_dbea393-2e52-4c99-a170-ff4f5b2e2479 o:allowoverlap="f" alt="Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Abu Dhabi testing" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_s1026"></v:shape>Daniel Ricciardo completed his domination of the Formula 1 rookie test in Abu Dhabi, by setting a time 1.3 seconds faster than world champion Sebastian Vettel pole position lap for last Sunday's grand prix.<o:p></o:p>
Driving Mark Webber's Hungarian Grand Prix-winning Red Bull RB6, the Australian was fastest in the morning session before Mercedes driver Sam Bird knocked him off top spot in the afternoon by five thousandths of a second.<o:p></o:p>
Ricciardo reclaimed the top spot shortly after the one hour to go mark before setting his best lap with two minutes to go after a mechanical problem for Yelmer Buurman brought out the red flags with 20 minutes remaining.<o:p></o:p>
Although track conditions are estimated to have improved by up to 1.5 seconds, the Australian's lap was impressive on only his fourth day of testing in F1.<o:p></o:p>
Renault's Jerome D'Ambrosio recovered from a spin earlier in the day, which led to the session briefly being stopped, to set the second-fastest time in the closing stages of the day. After driving for Virgin yesterday afternoon, the Belgian was seven tenths of a second off Ricciardo's pace and four hundredths faster than Mercedes driver Sam Bird.<o:p></o:p>
Gary Paffett was fourth-fastest for McLaren, returning to action for the team for the first time since February in place of junior driver Oliver Turvey. Paffett finished just ahead of Ferrari tester Jules Bianchi, who set some good times today after focusing on development work yesterday.<o:p></o:p>
Sergio Perez was sixth fastest for Sauber on his F1 test debut, pipping Force India driver Paul di Resta, who set his time early in the morning before handing over to Buurman, with his last flying lap.<o:p></o:p>
Pastor Maldonado made his debut for Williams, switching from HRT. He spent the morning doing aerodynamic work but went faster in the afternoon, lapping three quarters of a second off Rubens Barrichello's qualifying time from last Saturday - although his afternoon was interrupted when a sensor warning forced a precautionary shutdown of the engine.<o:p></o:p>
Jean-Eric Vergne completed his second day of running for Scuderia Toro Rosso. He was ninth fastest but missed the second half of the afternoon session as he had to leave early to travel to Macau for this weekend's Formula 3 grand prix. The British F3 champion also lost time in the afternoon when he stopped on track as a result of an engine warning, forcing a precautionary shutdown because of the age of the powerplant. He finished ahead of Buurman.<o:p></o:p>
Davide Valsecchi made his debut in the HRT F110 in the afternoon session, fresh from winning the final GP2 race of the season on the track three days ago. The Italian caused a red flag when he spun while on course to improve his lap-time, but set his best time - two seconds faster than Bruno Senna's qualifying time from Saturday - at the end of the day.<o:p></o:p>
Also making their F1 debuts were GP2 racer Luiz Razia and Josef Kral for Virgin and HRT, along with Bulgarian Vladimir Arabadzhiev for Lotus.<o:p></o:p>

Pos Driver Car Time Laps

</PRE>

1. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1m38.102s 77

</PRE>

2. Jerome D'Ambrosio Renault 1m38.802s 83

</PRE>

3. Sam Bird Mercedes 1m39.220s 82

</PRE>

4. Gary Paffett McLaren 1m39.760s 84

</PRE>

5. Jules Bianchi Ferrari 1m39.916s 93

</PRE>

6. Sergio Perez Sauber 1m40.543s 91

</PRE>

7. Paul di Resta Force India 1m40.901s 27

</PRE>

8. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1m40.944s 81

</PRE>

9. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 1m40.974s 61

</PRE>

10. Yelmer Buurman Force India 1m41.178s 67

</PRE>

11. Davide Valsecchi Hispania 1m43.013s 32

</PRE>

12. Luiz Razia Virgin 1m43.525s 70

</PRE>

13. Josef Kral Hispania 1m44.143s 61

</PRE>

14. Rodolfo Gonzalez Lotus 1m44.312s 41

</PRE>

15. Vladimir Arabadzhiev Lotus 1m45.723s 49

</PRE>

Malcolm

Supporter
Looks like the teams are running next year spec parts already as a way of testing by the times posted above. Otherwise all the current year drivers are out of work!

Back