F1 in 2017

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I found the race processional and boring. Glad Ferrari won and RB have a lot of work to do, but not as much as McLaren.

The untouchable Red Bull heir in Thailand - BBC News

And I thought the Austrian was the owner! This article takes the shine off the brand IMHO

Vorayuth Yoovidhaya was the inventor - Mateschitz was the marketing genius that created the rapid company growth.

However the whole episode stinks - but is not a great surprise, unfortunately.

"Red Bull is an energy drink sold by Austrian company Red Bull GmbH, created in 1987. Red Bull has the highest market share of any energy drink in the world, with 5.387 billion cans sold in 2013.[1][2][3][4]
Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz was inspired by an existing energy drink named Krating Daeng, which was first introduced and sold in Thailand by Chaleo Yoovidhya. He took this idea, modified the ingredients to suit the tastes of Westerners,[5] and, in partnership with Chaleo, founded Red Bull GmbH in 1987 in Chakkapong, Thailand. In Thai, daeng means red, and krating is the large bovine called "gaur" in English. Red Bull is sold in a tall and slim blue-silver can, while Krating Daeng is in a shorter gold can.[6] The two are different products, produced separately."

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm,
The brand never had a shine in the first place.
Bridgestone used to give it away by the case load as it saved them
loading it after a race. It wasn't unusual to see a 'fan' with a couple of cases of red bull
and a bottle od vodka struggling away from the Bridgestone hospitality pit area - especially at the A1 Ring. Incidentally that is where Deiter M lives - Zeltweg.

I have been thinking about this since Melbourne’s race. The other year Richardo was disqualified for too high a fuel flow. Think the limit is 100L/Second or something. This is there to prevent the teams winding the boost up and having massive power. I have been thinking that this needs to be changed. if they leave the same fuel tank size, but changed the limit to something like 150L/Second or even 200L/Second for the race only then you could have periods of the race where a driver could push much harder. However they would still be limited to the already marginal fuel tank size. Would that make it more interesting? <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Keith

He's out on bail and mumbling that he is the injured party. Usual stuff. No comments re:F1 team but I know that some employees are getting a bit twitchy and who can blame them? However, F.I. is no Manor, and if the sh1t does hit the fan, it will be a good prospect for someone looking to enter F1 at a decent level.

We shall see....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
So was today's Sochi winner chosen by Putin?

Attachments

• Putin.jpg
    Putin.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 212

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Perhaps in the wrong forum, but watching Putin attempt a social interaction with the drivers was probably the most uncomfortable thing I've ever witnessed. Either he is socially inept, or truly has some issues. I expected to see some semblance charisma being he is an "elected" leader.

Ah I see the confusion: In much of the world people don't try to drag the other person off their feet when they greet.

Tim.

I think that's a great idea Ryan. Remove the restrictor from the rule book. let them use what ever fuel flow they want, like you say, the tank volume will be what governs how fast they can go, for how long.

Keith

Agreed. To me it's a no-brainer but perhaps it would be difficult to police tank size, given that BAR got away with it for half a season at least. The devious buggers could hide fuel almost anywhere in the car...BAR chose to hide their extra tank actually in the tank, cleverly disguised as a swirlpot..

Last edited:

Keith

Jenson did ok today in Monaco FP2..Just a 1/10th shy of SVD bearing in mind he's not even sat in the car before. I can't help thinking that Freddy probably would have gone .5 sec quicker though... Merc on top FP1, Ferrari on top FP2. Will the Ferrari's shorter wheelbase prevail here? Gut instinct says yes...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jenson did ok today in Monaco FP2..Just a 1/10th shy of SVD bearing in mind he's not even sat in the car before. I can't help thinking that Freddy probably would have gone .5 sec quicker though... Merc on top FP1, Ferrari on top FP2. Will the Ferrari's shorter wheelbase prevail here? Gut instinct says yes...

I guess we all know the result by now, not only did Jenson do OK so did Fernando driving round and round, until ironically his Honda engine let go.

That's indeed very ironical.
It's a shame, he did actually very well.
I wished I had seen him race to the finish...... the great finaly!

Keith

Well the Hop Hip guy certainly hopped his way around Montreal today and served up a giant hipping to all his rivals!

Finally! Ralf Schumacher's lap record has gone :thumbsup:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I enjoyed the helmet ceremony for Senna's helmet. Aside from that, the first half of the race was well worth watching, which was refreshing.

Back