FAILED!!! at the BAR (Califonia Smog test)

Jack,

I'd really like to just move out of California. As I'm sure you are aware, this state has problems that go far beyond its vehicle licensing system.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,

I'd really like to just move out of California. As I'm sure you are aware, this state has problems that go far beyond its vehicle licensing system.
I am serous Ron, I would be happy to help you. One good thing about living here in AR is it affords me the luxury of being able to go back to CA to visit one of the most beautiful states in the country, then come back home to reality when I get tired of all the bull crap.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Going back to the BAR so to speak...

Just to put one last nail in the coffin of "the MSO isn't incorrect":

Mine lists the Make as "SuperformanceGT40."

That's strange, I've never heard of that company. Nowhere on my own Superformance GT40 car is the make listed that way.

So somebody explain to me how a car that everyone in the world, including its own manufacturer, refers to as a "Superformance GT40" ended up with a "correct" MSO that calls it a "SuperformanceGT40 Replica of a 1966 Vintage sports car"

Rick, since you seem to be speaking for SPF, can we move off of "correctness" and on to how Superformance is going to fix this mess?

Lance/SPF IS the problem here. He/they made a mistake. It's time to come clean and offer a solution.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Just buy a lot here in AR for 5k, get a mail box and register it here, no problem, no inspection ever and if your lucky you can get an antique tag which is $14 for life as long as you own it, if not you have to pay $35 a year for tags.

Somewhat the same program in KS, one time purchase of an antique plate for $17 and thereafter ONLY the property tax portion of the annual fees, which is usually about $30-$40.

Beats the hell out of $80 a year it would cost otherwise!

When my Cobra's current two year registration in TX runs out in 2013, I will drive the Cobra to Kansas, title and register it there, then drive it back to TX, as I have done with my Honda Accord. No annual inspections, no smog tests, the only inspection is done by the county sheriff's office at the time the title is transferred to ensure that the VIN on the car matches the VIN on the title...took 5 minutes (and $10) to get it done on my Honda. None of the police in TX have given me even a moment of grief regarding the car spending most of its time in TX on a KS plate (not the antique variety, though).

Cheers from Doug!!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Guys intending to operate with out-of-state plates: you might want to take or keep that off-line. This is a well-known and published revenue source for cash-strapped state governments and they are using web searches and social media to find people, not to mention getting help from disgruntled and/or jealous neighbors.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick, since you seem to be speaking for SPF, can we move off of "correctness" and on to how Superformance is going to fix this mess?

Lance/SPF IS the problem here. He/they made a mistake. It's time to come clean and offer a solution.

Alan,

No, I only speak for myself and my experiences. Only Lance can speak for Superformance LLC and I will wager that it will be one-to-one via phone or email rather than on a message board. Understand that is just my opinion.

And you are aboslutly correct about not talking about questionably legal items involving registration, titling, domicile, etc. These are not our private boards and anyone can and does read them. as pointed out a a dmv/tax employee may do a little Googling and "discover" us.....and what we do. As I said Mr. Morgester of the Califonia Attorney Generals office does peruse and even post on car boards.

One of the stupidest things I have seen on a car board is a Canadian who imported a replica that is not legal in Canada as a "race car" and then bragged online about how he got it registered in his province. The province does not care, but Transport Canada and Customs do. How hard would it be to find him an his illegal car? Does he know the penalty is siezure?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I do not believe its illegal to drive your personal vehicle back and forth between two residences . I know many Californians who have homes in OR who do the same.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I do not believe its illegal to drive your personal vehicle back and forth between two residences.

It's not the driving, it's the staying they care about. So as long as you act like a visitor it's not a problem, but as you probably know with respect to taxes of any kind the establishment of residency can be very tricky. Here's the CA DMV text:

Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
  • Accept gainful employment in California.
  • Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
  • Rent or lease a residence in California.
  • Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
  • Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
IAE the issue isn't so much about legal technicalities. I raise the caution because there was a rather long article in (IIRC) the Wall Street Journal recently describing just how aggressive and intelligent various high-tax states are getting about finding and prosecuting people who appeared to wilfully violate the rules. So even if you are fully compliant you might get some attention, especially if your car looks expensive; that's where they see dollar signs.

I tried to find the article but so far have failed.

I did my SPF in 2009, I did add a tube from the valve cover (to "seal" the PVC system) to the top of one of my Weber Carbs.
The guy in San Diego was great, you must have really come up against someone who not solution oriented.
I would try Lance's guy.
Dave

Guys,

Just to be clear, I do not intend to do anything illegal. I have a closed PCV system, and believe that I have met the standard applied to these cars at nearly every other inspection station.

My problem comes down to two possible solutions...find a way to get my car through using a more reasonable inspector, or install a 1965 block. I'm convinced that no amount of paperwork or documentation will affect a change in attitude.

That said, I have the names of two gentlemen who have supposed experience with these issues. I've not yet been able to actually speak with either, so I don't know what they'll suggest. Lance's guy is based in SoCal, the other is up here. Needless to say, I'd rather not tow my car across the state, but that may be what happens.

As for titling my car out of state, I'm aware of the rules applied to visitors and their vehicles, having studied in several states. I'd rather not go that route, though I have options, if I were to so choose. However, I'm intent on seeing the SB100 process through, up to and including putting a worn out, barely running, gross polluting, but entirely legal 1965 block in my car... If that's what the state of California deems an improvement over what I have now. :(

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Alan what do you do in your spare time?

Ron good luck to ya, I hope you get it worked out, I know its nerve racking ordeal in CA for doing anything.

Howard Jones

Supporter
1. Take the entire drive train out of car.
2. Place your old crapped out lawnmower (entire thing including clipping bag) under rear hatch. (as far as I know lawnmowers are not required to be smog compliant....yet.)
3. Place car on trailer and tow to BAR guy.
4. Please video him as you open rear hatch.
5. Post video here.

I hope you had a little smile, sometimes when you think you are at the end of a journey and you find you're not, the end can seam to be a long way off. It's not, just one more little hill and it's all down from there. Keep at it, you will come out with your dream car all nice an legal. Now that's a really cool feeling, believe me.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
2. Place your old crapped out lawnmower (entire thing including clipping bag) under rear hatch. (as far as I know lawnmowers are not required to be smog compliant....yet.)....

Sorry, Howard and Ron...

Ron will have to show that his lawnmower engine was made before 1995 or that it meets CARB emission standards.

I'm not kidding.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/sm_en_fs.pdf

And whatever you do, don't show up with foie gras on your breath...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_foie_gras_law

That said, I have the names of two gentlemen who have supposed experience with these issues. I've not yet been able to actually speak with either, so I don't know what they'll suggest. Lance's guy is based in SoCal, the other is up here. Needless to say, I'd rather not tow my car across the state, but that may be what happens.

Ron, I don't have anything productive to say other than, keep at it. I understand and can sympathize with your issues, getting my car titled in IL took 6 months and at times I thought I would have to bond the title (required significant money up front). That said I found if I approached everyone with patience (even when I had none) and called many many people, I came to a solution.

I apologize for not having a more constructive message about how to achieve compliance in California but I do believe you will find a way. It is amazing how things happen when you are persistent yet patient with the state governments.

Kevin

OK I'm sorry for the delay in posting but I couldn't find any of the "OLD" registrations for my Shelby that showed a smog code so I had to wait until I got back down to SoCal and talked to my friend with as it turns out 1967 427 Cobra not a 1966 that I think I posted before. As I stated before back when these car were new Calif. had a smog code on the registration and on the pink slip (they looked the same except one was pink). Anyway if you had a 1 smog code that meant you only needed a PVC valve. If you had a 2 that meant you needed a smog pump. The 1967 Cobra has a smog code of 1 and a 1967 Fairlane has a smog code of 2. Very strange considering most people will tell you that most if not all states required a smog pump in 1967 but for sure California.

I'm not sure if this is going to change anyone's mind but it does show that as late as 1967 there where cars that were exempt from having a smog pump. The smog codes are on the top line in both scans.

Good luck and by the way don't ask me what a RDCOBRA is because neither of us know the answer to that one. Maybe right hand drive but that just a guess. And yes it's great being able to drive my GT40 having been away since January.

Attachments

• 67 Cobra.jpg
    67 Cobra.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 67 Fairlane Pink.jpg
    67 Fairlane Pink.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 322

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,

For my lights and brakes I used Ruppels auto in Burlingame.

260 East Lane, Behind Mike Harvey Honda

(650) 342-3568

I do not recall why I went up to Burlingame, (maybe Dennis Peck recomended) but they were very nice, helped me adjust the left headlight with spacers, spent a fair amount of time and only charged $35.

They did not even bother to drive the car, as the breaks were new, just signed it off. I did not need a back up light, only license plate light.

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
In AR we need license plate lights, don't think back up lights to be an issue but I installed a camera with LCD screen in the door off my license plate.

Back