Forum Moderation (lack thereof)

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
On Oct. 6, 2013 user MHNCO made the following post:

It states, to one of our more senior and most polite members, in it's entirety, "You're such a douche"

I immediately reported this post using the provided tools, but no visible action was taken.

Last week in this post, the same user continued his year-long harassment of me in the first sentence of this post:

I've already complained at length about this individual and his behavior in this thread. Other people have cited many other infractions:

At the time I took a several month vacation from the forum and then quietly re-entered to see if the behavior would abate. Upon return I found that it had not, and in the latest iteration see that at least two of the moderators (Rick Muck and Brett James-McCall) are either unable or unwilling to take more action than to fire shots in the air. I offered a clear and clean solution, but no takers.

As such, since there is apparently no intention by the moderators to protect individual users from personal attacks, or to take any specific action to maintain thread quality before total degradation, I am resigning the forum. PMs and e-mail are off.

I'm gone, so don't bother arguing with me about "thick skin" etc.

You guys still have a canker in your midst, and for the sake of forum health I strongly suggest the moderators man up and start proactively moderating, and stop the ex post facto hand waving. Doing that sends entirely the wrong message to the provocateur.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, it sounds like you're gone and all so I don't think it makes any sense to respond to you. Shame I suppose, as it is pretty rare that members back their belongings and go home.

Rick, Brett, or Randy - you guys know anything about this stuff? I have not been on the scoop with these two gentlemen and am not reading pages of threads to try and sort out right from wrong.

Well Alan,
Here we go again.

Here's the facts as I see it.

1/ I like some of the other moderators don't have time to click on every link and explore every thing going. We fit it in between what we do in our lives

2/ You and Mike have been going at each other for ages and to me, it is at one level, white noise

3/ You had a proper pop at me when I used a term to relax earlier in the year

4/ I at times feel like giving you both some bench time, but I don't, I just try to remind you to keep it on track

5/ This isn't the first time you've resigned from the forum and posted such a thread

I'll call it now, so both of you can be responsible for each other. If you start at each other, you can both go in the cooler. Sound reasonable? as I fed up with both of you to be honest - him going at you and you posting these types of threads

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

My version of moderation is to warn the parties involved. I happen to "know" via parts sales and emails both of the parties in this dust-up. A warning was given and both were expected to step back and hopefully reflect on their posts. I will only remove posts if they truly exceed the rules and if warnings are ignored.

It looks like that was not sufficient in this case. I am a big believer in internet freedom, however as this is your forum we are expected to abide by your rules and so far that has made this one of the best automotive forums I am aware of.

If I disappointed a GT40s.com member by my moderation or lack thereof, I am truly sorry. But we are all big boys here and must adhere to the "sticks and stones" theory of participation.

Alan, I hope you will reconsider and will continue to positively add to this forum.

Ron Earp

Admin
No problems from my side at all. I just don't read every forum on the site and don't know if folks are getting out of line. I ignore anything down in the paddock for sure. I do read threads, but only threads that I'm interested in taking a look at so it is doubtful I'll ever have a complete picture of happenings.

Of course we hate to lose members on the site, but it is going to happen from time to time and we simply have to move on. Not all personalities play well with one another although if we get one personality that consistently runs others off we'll give them the boot.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I went back and read the entire thread that has caused Al to leave. The comment about getting advice on weekend cars was directed at Larry who is a friend and someone I go back with several years on the FGT forum. He had a FGT in the wrapper for several years and many people continue to poke fun at him today for never driving it. I've been trying since he joined here to talk him into a GT40. I was surprised then to see Al start in with his snarky comments calling my car a f'ing POS or whatever he said when I shared my maintenance ideas. My first reaction was a strong desire to go off on the guy as I have succumbed to in the past on a couple of occasions. Instead I just tried to blow it off. He ask me to explain my maintenance procedures which I did in great length. Should I have offered to help him with his car? I guess not but it seemed pretty benign to what I really wanted to say to him. I should have just said right off the bat that the comment wasn't even directed at him and to buzz off I guess. There are several guys on here I consider friends and some I've got to meet in person. Don't think I've ever ran anyone off any website. The last time you left Al I sent you a PM and ask you to come back. You're on your own this time brother.

Last edited:

Keith

Well, I personally think you should all visit the Paddock for some common sense, respect, intellect and Gold Standard content... :laugh:

The rest of this site is going to hell in a handcart...:quirk:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
11h4hnd.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I see the same players are up to their favorite past time - doing their best to tick each other off all the while claiming ignorance..

Once upon a time I advocated keeping the paddock.

Not anymore.

I am done moderating the Paddock as it is.

Keith

Hi Randy, hope you are well. What has this spat to do with the Paddock?

Do not fear, it is not the Paddock - it is the 'other natives' who are getting restless, and that Superperformance lot, I mean really.

As you know, whilst your efforts are greatly appreciated, we owe it to the Community to be self policing down there, but you're always welcome to drop in any time.

Randy and to all mod's; WHY POLICE THE PADDOCK AT ALL? Those that go there are there FOR THE NONSENSE!!!! The WOGG thread which is AWSOME and slowly becoming one of the favorites around here. As adults we all have the choice to just not go there or post if things are not to our liking. If WE CHOSE TO ENGAGE than that's on the individual and they shouldn't look to daddy to save them when they get in over their head. Better to just put some sort of caveat emptor as a sticky and leave it be. I find it funny that adults still can not handle the paddock here. Those people need to visit a few other forums paddocks and see what goes on in there. This place is PG13 in comparison. I think the mod's in general are great and almost nonexistant AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!! It just means that the forum as a whole is functioning properly which is a testament to them. Don't like the paddock STFO!
Yours truly WOGG (in training)

Last edited:

Keith

Randy and to all mod's; WHY POLICE THE PADDOCK AT ALL? Those that go there are there FOR THE NONSENSE!!!! The WOGG thread which is AWSOME and slowly becoming one of the favorites around here. As adults we all have the choice to just not go there or post if things are not to our liking. If WE CHOSE TO ENGAGE than that's on the individual and they shouldn't look to daddy to save them when they get in over their head. Better to just put some sort of caveat emptor as a sticky and leave it be. I find it funny that adults still can not handle the paddock here. Those people need to visit a few other forums paddocks and see what goes on in there. This place is PG13 in comparison. I think the mod's in general are great and almost nonexistant AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!! It just means that the forum as a whole is functioning properly which is a testament to them. Don't like the paddock STFO!

Damian, you just graduated, you WOGG. (congratulations)

Now, get off of this thread :furious:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

What you seem to be lacking here is context of the Paddock's history..
Some of us remember, unfortunately, the threats of physical violence that were made in the Paddock and resulting PMs. Also the exposure of individual's personal information here - which simply cannot be tolerated.
If people could be trusted to not take it to that level again, I would be fine with leaving the Paddock as is. I doubt that we can trust them though. It will happen again. Some people here (reading this thread now) are only happy if they can p!ss someone off to the point that they leave the forum.. When the current scape-goat of their choice finally relents and leaves, they turn their attention to others..
When called out on it - they come crying to me, or Paul or Ron or one of the other moderators demanding a refund of any monies they may have donated to the site as a supporter.. This is total rubbish in my opinion...

Frankly I think the only way that we can have a Paddock that does not turn into an Irish Pub at 15 minutes before closing on Sunday morning, is to either turn it into a blocked "Subscription based" (yes so you have some skin in the game) service, or severely restrict the topical content :: no Politics, Religion, Guns, Human Rights discussions of **ANY** sort..

Frankly I don't have time to be Nanny to any of you in the Paddock.

Subscription based, severely restricted or nuked altogether - that's my vote..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
One more note...

There is not a single one of you that I would not want to call friend.. I would buy any of you pints and dinner if we ever met. I genuinely like you for the brotherhood we shared in coming here in the first place..
The love of fine iconic automobiles, racing and the camaraderie that goes along with it...

Keith

What you seem to be lacking here is context of the Paddock's history..
Some of us remember, unfortunately, the threats of physical violence that were made in the Paddock and resulting PMs. Also the exposure of individual's personal information here - which simply cannot be tolerated.
If people could be trusted to not take it to that level again, I would be fine with leaving the Paddock as is. I doubt that we can trust them though. It will happen again. Some people here (reading this thread now) are only happy if they can p!ss someone off to the point that they leave the forum.. When the current scape-goat of their choice finally relents and leaves, they turn their attention to others..
When called out on it - they come crying to me, or Paul or Ron or one of the other moderators demanding a refund of any monies they may have donated to the site as a supporter.. This is total rubbish in my opinion...

Frankly I think the only way that we can have a Paddock that does not turn into an Irish Pub at 15 minutes before closing on Sunday morning, is to either turn it into a blocked "Subscription based" (yes so you have some skin in the game) service, or severely restrict the topical content :: no Politics, Religion, Guns, Human Rights discussions of **ANY** sort..

Frankly I don't have time to be Nanny to any of you in the Paddock.

Subscription based, severely restricted or nuked altogether - that's my vote..

Hey Randy, I am sorry but the spat that appeared on this thread did not, has not and is not linked with the Paddock, and I don't know why you have linked this. It started many moons ago and has ALWAYS existed on the Superformance forum.

Perhaps you saw my handle and thought "Paddock" but you'd be wrong. It started there on SPF and ended here.

I only popped up to tell them off because I thought they were being, er, boyish.. :)

Peace my brother, but seriously check the SPF forum mate.

By the way, I have some complimentary WOGG memberships going if you'd care to fill in a f.... I'm kidding! You ARE a WOGG and a fine one... :)

Back