Friend wanna move to USA-stupidity of some people..

just finished now a discussion (more..a fight) with a friend (sister of one of my best friends) gonnagoin' to america in 2009.
She is a pretty italian girl, 25 yrs old..a lot of dreams,and stupid as many ones down here (yes, she is blond....fake).
The discussion started cause she wanna JUST try manhattan, and thinks the real center of america is just there.
Of course living down there will be a little too expensive (even more for people..searching job,in BS as fashion system).
Of course no saving from her actual job (livin la vida is really expensive also down here in Italy)and probably her family will help her in this new challenge.
I dunno the cost of apartments (hire) in MH,but suspect they can be very very very expensive.

I told her,IMO real america is another one (I hate big cities)and she is probably just searching for a cooler version of what she already has in Milano city.
Isnt Los Angeles important as Manhattan is?...isnt san diego a lovely place by the sea?
All the american city coming to my mind are ALL very important places for work,life and opportunity, if u are searching for theme.

It is possible still too many here thinks the places to be in US are ONLY those 2?

I (still) never visited US,but suspect big cities will be one of the last target for me down there...much more easy I will choose immediately seaplaces.

Sorry for the real OT topic guys, buy several of u here are americans, and I really would like to know your opinion

Ron Earp

Admin
IMHO too many Europeans think of America as New York, LA, or San Diego. Tis a pity because those cities only offer a small view of what America is about. I travel to all three frequently and don't mind visiting.

The reverse is also true - too many Americans think Europe is Paris and London, with Rome or Milan thrown in if they go to Italy, Berlin or Munich thrown in if Germany is included.

Too much hype about New York / LA / San Diego for me. 300 million Americans in the US and with those three cities you only have about 13 million residents - the other 287 million of us don't live there....

For someone coming here with very little money and experience in American urban culture,New York can be overwhelming,wonderful and very dangerous,all at the same time.Expensive? Extremely. Violent?Yes and No, but you must learn very quickly to avoid certain areas and be on guard for your safety.Stimulating?There is always something happening-at all hours.Jobs? Good luck(said sarcastically, for our European friends),the ecocomy is just terrible and this person had better have something locked in for employment anywhere here before she leaves home.Same thing goes for LA. San Diego is nice but anything on the water in Cali is EXPENSIVE.Ron is right,try a city not so caught up in itself and get some experience in our culture,Then try the Big Apple.Don't want to sound discouraging but this is a bad time in the US and the worst situation is to be stuck here with no money,no job and no place to stay. AJ

Last edited:

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
If your sister wants to experience a really cool place that has a lot of opportunity, she should try Austin, TX or Dallas, TX. Not saying this because it's where I live, but the fact is, Texas has the most stable economy of the whole country. We aren't that hard hit so far. Sure Dell is laying off people, but it's an annual thing. Austin and Dallas both offer great night life as well as entertainment and business opportunities. I agree she should have something solid before moving, it is just plain foolish not to. That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth. LOL

Laters,

Brian

Ron Earp

Admin
Leave it to a Texan to tell you how great Texas is....:cowboy:

Just giving you a hard time. Texas must be great because everyone I've ever met from there tells me so! :lipsrsealed:

Just kidding, I do enjoy my visits down to Texas.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Leave it to a Texan to tell you how great Texas is....:cowboy:

Just giving you a hard time. Texas must be great because everyone I've ever met from there tells me so! :lipsrsealed:

Just kidding, I do enjoy my visits down to Texas.

OH GOD, here we go. LOL I'm mearly SUGGESTING Texas as an option. I've been to quite a few different places around the US, and honestly, Texas just feels right. Maybe not for everyone, but it's definitely worth a try. LOL

I was more impressed by the people in Texas than the landscape,but Home is Home to everyone.I'd love to go to New Zealand but they won't let me in - over 54 and retired.Maybe Jac Mac will adopt me as his father.:rolleyes: The other options for this person might be Florida or Boston area.Both very different but a bit easier to handle for the newcomer. A.J.

Wow, San Diego garners that much attention worldwide? I would have thought
San Francisco would get more.

Most of the Europeans I have spoken too have been interested in NYC, Chicago,
Boston, Miami, LA and San Francisco. San Diego seems to be an after thought.
And, as far as cost of living - San Diego has the worst median house price to
average household income ration in the US. San Diego wages are the lowest
of the cities mentioned - heck, even compared to Sacramento, San Diego houses
cost at least 60% more (realistically, almost twice as much), but salaries are
about 20% less.

That said, all of the above are terribly expensive places to live, and if your
friend's sister is looking at the Fashion industry for her career, then NYC,
LA, San Francisco and Miami are probably the target areas. However, I will
agree with Brian. From what I have heard, Dallas and Austin are pretty good
places to get your start these days. Portland is not too bad a choice either.

Ian

I was more impressed by the people in Texas than the landscape,but Home is Home to everyone.I'd love to go to New Zealand but they won't let me in - over 54 and retired.Maybe Jac Mac will adopt me as his father.:rolleyes: The other options for this person might be Florida or Boston area.Both very different but a bit easier to handle for the newcomer. A.J.

Ha Ha, with you @ over 54 ( and retired? ) & me @ 58 oops 59 ( & just plain tired ) thats gonna cause a few funny looks at Immigration, followed by major hysterics when they find out your 'real' age!:):):)..

Currently, Seattle has just about the strongest economy in the nation - very low unemployment. It's a fairly expensive city but not as expensive as NY or San Fran. Your friend would probably get pretty tired of the grey and rainy weather however, coming from Italy. On the upside, Seattle has the ocean, islands, good skiing in close to the city and a very friendly population. It's big enough to be plenty cosmopolitan but small enough not to be overwhelming to a newcomer. Might be worth considering.

Have to say, NY is pretty amazing too, in a much different way.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Has anyone mentioned how difficult it is to get in to the US (legally) to work, even temporarily? It's pretty naive to think she can just book a flight and turn up here and go to work. She has to have employment and an approved work visa prior to coming, unless of course she comes in as a tourist and then disappears underground, gets pregnant or married.

To come in to the US legally is more difficult than both many Americans and Europeans appreciate.

Has anyone mentioned how difficult it is to get in to the US (legally) to work, even temporarily? It's pretty naive to think she can just book a flight and turn up here and go to work. She has to have employment and an approved work visa prior to coming, unless of course she comes in as a tourist and then disappears underground, gets pregnant or married.

To come in to the US legally is more difficult than both many Americans and Europeans appreciate.

Too right.
Consider anyway the family of this girl is very rich,and so probably...will start as a tourist.
It is a felling of "play the jolly-try US.."

Doesnt help for the residence there, if u buy an apartment in the city?(maybe not..as in Italy, but is even better than be homeless too).
Talking of Manhattan I think we are talking of million dollars...

No problem for grey..the part of italy where we come is deep north (milano and varese area),where grey is the ordinary color (see my desperate posts of the past in love to australia and nz....this year I am forcing myself not to do the same, I promise..)

Will ask her soon what kind of work is she exactly searching for (but suspect the BS tipical of kids..so fashion...cinema..and so on)

Malcolm

Supporter
Well if Fran can get in to work and live in USA then a pretty 25 year old italian girl should have no trouble! Jools also used to work on and off in USA, not fashion but cinema, as you put it Paolo, but for goodness sake don't let her go down Jools' path!

I suspect the life experience of Fran (and his incredible skill) and this girl one is not at all comparable (in fact fran choosed one of the best states in usa to change from uk.Isn't Michigan one of the closest to Europe as life style?....they say so in Michael Moore movies)

I feel much more worried for her, than for our Fran:)

Keith

Yeah, that guy is just a fountain of truth and knowledge....:rolleyes2:

Detroit Michigan doesn't have much in common with European cities. For one, I feel safe in European cities....

Are you sure Ron? We had a BMW broken into not far from me about 2 months ago...:sad:

Ron Earp

Admin
Are you sure Ron? We had a BMW broken into not far from me about 2 months ago...:sad:

oooohhhh, frightening!

Best bring some heat to Detroit.
In Pictures: America's Most Murderous Cities

Top on our list? Detroit. The Motor City experienced 418 cases of murder and non-negligent manslaughter in 2006. That's 47.3 murders per every 100,000 residents. Detroit also ranked high for violent crime (No. 2), robbery (No. 4) and forcible rape (No. 12).
<table type="variable" width="140" align="right"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td> Related Stories
America's Most Sedentary Cities
America's Fastest-Growing Cities
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>To put it in perspective: Detroit's murder rate is more than 8% higher than the country's second most murderous city, Baltimore, and eight times that of the least murderous metro. More people were murdered in Detroit than in San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas and San Jose combined--and each one of those cities has a bigger population than Detroit.

lol..I wanted to see what happens to call as example michael moore :D and his movies.
Some I like a lot,(as well as I loved movie Supersize me from Morgan Sporlock,even more after trying over my body how it is to loose 25 kilos in one year,from 95 to 70..without medicians) also if maybe ....if all is true in Moore's films it will be a little scary to live there (and I am not so sure of this).
Last I saw was Sicko....incredible tales,also if it is a so different reality there to be comapred to european ones.

Paolo,
I was just hanging around and watching this thread, but I had to chime in on the USA relocation. Dallas is a good starting place for fashionistas and we have some cinema here as well. However, if she has no technical experience her prospects will grow very dim indeed for permanent work status in the US. I suggest she go to Mexico City and live there for a year, then travel to the US via the Mexican-US border and come on in. The chances that she will be picked up and deported are next to zero. We offer lots of opportunity for employment. She could get on as a nanny for one of our rich families in Dallas with the added bonus of preparing their children in speaking Italian for their sojourns abroad to Italy.I am dead serious because some of these women live in absolute luxury in mansions with a new MerC to drive the little ones to private school and vacation with the family to exotic locations around the world. A win-win situation that we Texans would die for as we are always needful of being taken for real in europe after the last few decades of national leadership failures.:thumbsup:

Back