Friend wanna move to USA-stupidity of some people..

Charlie M

Supporter
I'm a little biased living in the Boston area but she should consider it. It's a pretty cool city and much less expensive than Manhattan. One of the nice things about New England is the diverse landscape. You want beaches, we got them. You want mountains, we got them too.

Chicago is another option. I've been there several times and really liked it.

Charlie

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Paolo,

Has your friend considered Canada?

We have all the nasty weather that the northern United States has to offer but the cost of living here is much less than NYC and LA. Plus, we have a well-known shortage of attractive Italian girls here, low crime and a reasonably (as any can be these days) stable economy. Vancouver is a beautiful city and has typically relaxed west-coast friendliness (and weather) whereas Toronto is our "Fashion" capital, although a bit colder in every sense.

Just felt I had to do my patriotic duty and plug my adopted homeland (I am originally from the UK).

Mark

I have lived some time in Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Portland, Honolulu, Amsterdam, Los Angeles, and DC among others. If she wants serious fashion in the USA, it is NYC or LA, and NYC is tops. I lived there when it was a dangerous place and still liked it. Nothing compares to NYC, nothing. Have here check out FIT - Fashion Institute.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm a little biased living in the Boston area but she should consider it. It's a pretty cool city and much less expensive than Manhattan.

I was going to mention Boston too, one of my favorite Northeast cities. Small enough to grasp but large enough to have plenty to do, plus, there aren't a lot of annoying Manhattanites around! :D

I was going to mention Boston too, one of my favorite Northeast cities. Small enough to grasp but large enough to have plenty to do, plus, there aren't a lot of annoying Manhattanites around! :D

Yeah, but there are a lot of annoying Bostonians ...

I kid because a) I went to High School just south of Boston and b) I worked in Boston
for a couple of years :)

Ian

Paolo,
If she likes the four seasons, she should consider the southeast. I am in the Atlanta area, and we just have gone through our pretty season. Can't beat the colors, the cool nights and the warm days. Skiing is just a couple of hours away in winter, and the coast is too. We have the mountains as well. Atlanta is metropolitan as any other big city and country is just 30 minutes in any direction. Biltmore Estate in N.C. Racing in Ga. S.C. Fla. and Ala and Tenn.. Tenn. has Dollywood and Nashville. Six Flags and Stone Mtn. in Atlanta. there is always something to do around the south east. Not to mention the SEC andACC in football.

Bill

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Paolo,

Has your friend considered Canada? ........

Just felt I had to do my patriotic duty and plug my adopted homeland (I am originally from the UK).

Mark

I'll vouch for the friendliness of Canadians, we were welcomed with open arms when we landed as immigrants. I have worked and lived all around the World and have to say the beauty of Canada and it's people takes some beating. Taxes are higher but still nowhere near the levels of Australia.

Mark, you kept the Brit heritage quiet, all the time I've known you as a 'cyber' friend I never knew! How many are there of us congregating on forums with the same interests?

My daughter is a fashion designer and has worked in New York and is currently a designer for a small company in Los Angeles.

New York and LA have the most activity in the fashion industry in the US. Having said that there are many many companies all over the United States that rely on designers. It all depends what type of experience you are looking for. Big city vs smaller town and location.

PM me if she would like to email my daughter for her perspective. She would likely have a better handle on it than any gearhead here.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CTEMP%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CTEMP%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CTEMP%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-AU</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:"Calisto MT"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:windowtext;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->
Just curious, but how would she get work without a green card, or is that no longer needed?

You don't need a "Green Card" to work in the USA (They're mostly white BTW). But you do need a work permit.
After you've lived there long enough and typically 10x the length of time it should take you can get a Green Card which is a permanent residents card and good for 10 years.

Unlike Australia if you leave the country for more than 6 months at go they'll take it away from you the next time you try to get in as they class you as not being resident any more (its not a visa, it’s a card granted to permanent residents).

Having been born in the UK, emigrated to Australia and become and Australian citizen and then moved to the USA with my American wife, then had 2 kids in the USA and moved them all back to Australia again, I can say this with certainty...
The Australian immigration system is clear & straightforward to deal with. The US immigration system is F***KED UP!<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I would like to be associated with Dougs comment relating to the US immigration service and in particluar with an American Mexican in SFO airport with the incredible second name of ZIT. :thumbsdown: This 'sad excuse for a man' has to be the worst example of a beaurocratic arsehole you could ever meet and I still light black candles every night and I stick pins into a mexican doll hoping for his demise.
I was scheduled to fly a 747 trip to the US and I arrived with less than a month to go on my crewmans "D" visa with a multiple entry visa in my second passport (yes - we can have two passports or more ) having first checked with the US Embassy in London about the < one month (it was taking 6 weeks to renew D visas at the time and the US embassy in London said it was not going to be a problem [Note to self for the future: always get names] ). ZIT was appraised of this and decided to arrest me for a violation and exacted a fine of $1000 which had to be paid to un arrest me. I had my two young daughters with me on the trip who were taken away into care by an abusive (to me) 'female'. It reached the British Embassador level almost instantly as I was also carrying my military ID (but which could not be used to enter the USA because I was not travelling on military orders).
The whole episode took nearly 6 hours at SFO airport with no provision of refreshments to any of the three of us, and then at the end of it all, no apologies. US Immigration ? - manned by manic hispanic pigs - excuse me while I light another black candle.:veryangry: Each time I return to SFO I asked to be reminded to Immigration Officer Pustule.
I digress...............
US Immigration ? What a load of bollocks.
If I was a disabled pregnant lesbian nun I guess it might have been different but the disabilities would not allow me to fly a 747 !

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
I have been to VIR 4 times now. Each time I go I get the same immigration official at RDU airport. Honest, the same guy has been on duty every year, I have 4 signatures in my passport to prove it. He is a really nice guy and now remembes us from previous years so we have to give him an update on how we got on last time through. But guess that is not really a reason to live in the US! :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have visited the U.S. Many many times for both business and pleasure.
Mostly pleasure, I had a condo at Steamboat Springs for eight years and went skiing there each year. I found the immigration people either very polite and friendly or bored, mostly friendly though.
Except for one experience at L.A. three years ago, I came across a clone of David's Mr Zit. A short fat Mexican looking a-hole with a Zapata moustache. Long story short years ago Australians needed a visa to travel to the States, but that requirement ceased a few years back. I still had a current visa. Mr.dick for brains asked me why I had a visa when it was not required? I replied that I obtained said visa when they were required and had had one ever since.
Twenty minutes later we were still having the same inane conversation and it was only when I got angry and cast doubts on his parentage and asked to see his supervisor that he waved us through. Di of course remained calm and controlled throughout.:shout:
I still have no idea what the guy's problem was.
But hey we had a great time skiing and everyone we met other than dick for brains was terrific, friendly and welcoming.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I think I met his brother at Washington Airport about 6 years ago.
First ever trip to USA
He decide I was on the 10 most wanted list as I had the same name and birthdate as a drug dealer!

Well 2nd interrogation department was full of his clones and nobody would even say why I was being interrogated!

An hour later and the British embassy passport control dept confirmed my passport was legitimate and that I was not born in Trinidad!

No Sorry or anything - pushed me through the self locking door into the baggage hall!

But hey think logically if I was a drug dealer would I be travelling on my own documents? And travelling with wife and daughter along with about 20 others from their dance troupe going to the World championships? They were all detained in the baggage hall as my passport had all the case vouchers and they were with me in the interrogation Really nice welcome!

Took me 5 years to decide to go back - no problems other than the 1hr45min queue at Phili immigration

And Paulo I'd give Nashville a miss what a depressing town / city

Ian

tried to talk her again..is incredible the arrogance of some young ones about changing life scenery btw.
Seems she just wanna arrive in Manhattan (neither NY eh..)with a touristic vist..then decide o_O.
From what i read here..suspect will be hard even just exit the JFK.
She just repeats me on and on..I need money money money..so will see..

no words..really..

Keith

As has been stated here already, US Immigration is in a clas of it's own. In my experience one of the key categories for refusal is being a young single woman! Her best bet is to arrive via a tourist package in a managed group.

Also, please tell her that she cannot "Legalise" herself workwise whilst she is in the US. If she manages to gain entry then find a job, her "employer" will be committing a Federal offence if she hasn't got the right papers i.e. L2 work Visa. She may find work in a Bar or Restaurant, but be advised US Immigration Service is very active in all these areas of key entry points in the US.

If she likes what she sees on a vacation, she should return to Italy within the time limit terms of her entry documents and apply to work in the US, bearing in mind that only people with "special skills" will be considered as the US (very wisely) do not wish to displace Americans who are equally qualified and capable of doing the same work.

As the pressure on employment continues to rise dramatically in the US, I think that perhaps her timing is less than perfect. America's streets are not paved with gold - they all work extremely hard for their bit and many have 2 or more jobs. Not at all like the "soft underbelly of Europe"!

Failing that, perhaps she should visit "Little Italy". She is bound to find some relations there! :lipsrsealed:

To add to Keith's comment of the streets not being paved with gold,I think a large segment of the world is still under the impression that just getting to the US is a guarantee of success.As said,most people bust their ass just to keep their head above water and many have a second or even third job to make ends meet.Entry level positions for GOOD jobs/careers are scarce and without some form of higher education,you are NOT starting off with the golden path before you.And most are shocked to find Americans don't get a lot of time off for holidays and vacation;maybe 1 week vacation to start and a long time with no more than 2 weeks before it improves. Plus,no socialized medicine and exhorbitant physician, dental and prescription costs.It's not the fantasy world some would have you believe,especially New York City unless you have money(a lot).The timing is not good for this young lady to try the American lifestyle even if she can get in unless she has very good contacts and a guaranteed job offer up front.And I would still recommend Boston before NY if she has to be in a city( Rhode Island School of Design has one of the major fashion design schools and it's relatively close to Boston or CT,with large Italian/American populations.) A.J.

Last edited:
All of this Gloom amd Doom! San Diego is the best place in the world, best weather, beach, mountains, desert all near by, why we even have our own 3rd world country 15 miles to the South.
Surely something for everybody.
As for Texas, one of my favorite places, it is a land of bizarre weather extremes and is mostly flat, however Texans have fun everyday and make the very best of their otherwise wretched circumstances!
IMHO Dave

est w

Back